Smiler

Replacement Sill Panels

38 posts in this topic

I'm failing to find replacement suill panels or repair sections to repair my car for the MOT. Does anyone know of a supplier or is it down to making them myself?

Cheers,

Smiler.

There is, someone on this very board found them about a year ago. But it's flat thin plate, just as handy and much cheaper to cut a bit out a washing machine and weld it up yourself.

Don't know. I just rang the panel place I've used in the past, and they said no. They usually supply Hardian panels, which I'd have guessed would be available, but sadly not from them.

Havant Motor Factors said try SCL Imperial, but they don't seem to do them either.

If the worst comes to the worst, I suppose you could find a sheet metal supplier and get them to bend some metal up for you.

I have a e34 wing bought by my cars previous owner from Abacus Autoparts (3 Wolterton Road, Poole, BH12 1LR Phone: 01202 761000) - You could give them a try to see if they stock other panels

The wing was made in Taiwan by Gordon, if that helps at all?

Thanks for the replies. All I have been able to find so far is the bolt on front wings and bonnet. Why anyone would bother with pattern parts for these when they're still reasonably readily available down the breakers is beyond me!

I'll give that place in Poole a ring to see if they can help.

Cheers,

Smiler.

you can get hadrian rear arch panels,they have the rear bit of sill on them.i have just done one side of my car. i bought one genuine front sill section to make up extensions for the arch panel.the sill was 90 pounds and the arches around 30 each.still cheaper than another car.it would be very difficult to make up pieces from flat sheet because of the complex curves involved.

I have just paid a visit to both respective websites (Hadrian and Gordon) and entered enquiries. The Hadrian site showed the rear arch panels but without prices, you are required to submit enquiries to get quotes. As for the Gorden site, it was purely a corperate site with no catalogue of products available. So I have emailed them to see what they can come up with.

Cheers for the info folks.

Smiler.

Further to the post in Richard Made in Wigan's 540i/6 touring project thread, it is possible to buy 1.0mm thick new sills and rear wheel arches from a Company called Klokkerholm in Norway via TJ Motorsport http://www.tjmotorsp...co.uk/index.php

TJ Motorsport get an order from Klokkerholm every 2 / 3 weeks - speak to Julie or Tim 01656 818804 / sales@tjmotorsport.co.uk

Klokkerholm sills and wheelarch part numbers:
0057011  Foot Board, door sill, 4-dr, Thickness [mm]: 1 £36.30 
0057012  Foot Board, door sill, 4-dr, Thickness [mm]: 1 £36.30 
0057581  Sidewall, 4-dr, Wheelarch, Repair Panel, Left Rear, Outer section £23.95 
0057582  Sidewall, 4-dr, Wheelarch, Repair Panel, Right Rear, Outer section £23.95

I paid £120.50 in total plus Postage was £17.99 for the 4 items 

I understand the Genuine BMW replacement panels are 1.0mm thick. It is possible to get thinner (0.8mm) sills but that could be a false economy

Other panels wings, bonnets, TCA, radiators, trim,  gas struts, mirror glass, headlights, indicators etc are listed on the Klokkerholm website http://www.klokkerholm.com/xProductCatalogue/productCatalogue.aspx?Group=697720

chappie and hamish262001 like this

The BMW repair sections look just right for the normal e34 corrosion at the rear and they have the holes for the bump strips.

I'll get some photos up of the Klokkerheim panels asap. I offered the Klokk panels up and they are a little short along the sill section and I will either have to chop part of the replacement sill off or fabricate a little extension.

Aye up - Any pics of the Klokkerheim panels? My sills are dead back there so will have to do something about it for the next MOT (Feb).

post-34182-0-99048400-1430255646_thumb.j

post-34182-0-50886100-1430255660_thumb.j  

Klokkerheim panel

Does the OE sill/arch repair have the outer jacking point ...

Edited by Carl-e34

Hi Adam, Im using those at the moment  :razz: But i fear the drivers rear sill might need cutting back above the plastic sill trims :???: The rot looks close to the holes for the plastic sill fixing, So im not sure high far the rot has travelled up the arch yet ...

If the rot has travel past the plastic sill trim up the arch i might get the OE repair panel ... This would not be a bad idea if the outer jacking point comes with the repair panel ... Time will tell  :razz:

Edit Adam, Do you still need the bottom of the arch for your Touring. 

Edited by Carl-e34

Does the oe panel have the outer jacking point. where the jack seats  :razz:

The thick metal plate welded underneath? If so then yes it does Carl.

Carl-e34 likes this

Photo of the bmw front repair section attached with a section of rusty front sill. You can see the repair section finishes before the front jacking point. No real use unless you butcher it to suite

post-35978-0-15117900-1433857903_thumb.j

post-35978-0-75457200-1433857930_thumb.j

post-35978-0-42166900-1433857944_thumb.j

post-35978-0-99056100-1433857958_thumb.j

post-35978-0-63861200-1433857971_thumb.j

There is, someone on this very board found them about a year ago. But it's flat thin plate, just as handy and much cheaper to cut a bit out a washing machine and weld it up yourself.

ha ha ....this made me laugh ...he didn't even do that with the 540 he sold lol !!!!

Carl-e34 likes this

ha ha ....this made me laugh ...he didn't even do that with the 540 he sold lol !!!!

He must have run out of washing machines  :ph34r:

Thread resurrection. I'm currently restoring my E34 M5. Can some advise where is the best place to buy the sills from. The right side is pretty much shot so likely need to replace the full sill section inc jacking points. Thanks in advance.

I'd stick with OEM BMW Parts, particularly on an M5. The metal is generally thinner on the copy parts.

C.

Carl-e34 likes this