BMW 5 Series Owners Board uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Thank you for visiting bmw5. If you'd like to show your support for the forum, please consider becoming a Gold Member

Photo
- - - - -

extending steering lock

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mat_91

mat_91

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:32 PM

haven't posted much so thought i should start
im after gaining more steering lock on my 520i and the easiest way to gain this is extending the pitman and idler arm, ive seen people just weld bits in to extend it, to me thats a massive no no
what my main question is did another model be it a v8 or something have longer arms failing that and i ask very nicely could people measure the arms from the inner pivot point to the outer pivot point so i can get some numbers and see if theres any difference
im going to go throu the parts numbers to see if theres a difference but that still dont give me measurements which is the problem
thanks guys
Posted Image

#2 g164rge

g164rge
  • LocationAberdeenshire
  • Current Car:E34 540i Manual, C5 RS6 Avant, E30 2.8T

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:21 AM

Removing the lock stops would suffice
Posted Image

E34 540 Manual.
Audi RS6 C5 Avant.
E30 328i Touring T(M50)

#3 mat_91

mat_91

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:32 PM

i thought that and it gave me probley 2-3 degrees more lock before the steering box maxed out
thats why i wanted longer arms to give the steering more throw so to speak
but thanks for you help fella
Posted Image

#4 bmpaul

bmpaul
  • Locationsouth london
  • Current Car:E39 530d sport

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

Would doing this make the wheels rub on the inner arches? Item quite tight in there as it is.....

WARNING: phone spell check may incorrectly spell.....

E39 530d sport- Remapped. Goes very nicely.
E38 728i- gorgeous beast unfortunately new job meant goodbye.
E34 525i- 225k- most solid, dependable and fun car I've had. Badly missed! I dropped a ball letting her go in hindsight.......
E39 528i- sadly gone, i miss her
E36 318i- first BMW, quicker than I thought it would be
90' G reg- SEAT IBIZA- first car

#5 jankes

jankes
  • LocationNottingham

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

i think idler and pitman arm been same on all models, part number will not show any info about length of it, yes more lock will make wheels rub into chassis etc but you can use low et rims and spacers to avoid that

#6 mat_91

mat_91

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:14 PM

bit of a late reply jankes i looked into parts number to see if any changed which then i could investigate but as you say there all the same parts numbers even e21s haha got to think of another way to make these
a cnc machine would come in handy :roll:
Posted Image

#7 Justin..

Justin..
  • LocationSouthampton
  • Current Car:E39 530i poverty spec 'sport'

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

Surely you need to modify the rack aswell?? Longer arms arent going to do much as the length is restricted by the track width?

#8 mat_91

mat_91

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

extending the pitman and idler arm will give you more throw for the same amount of steering turns thats how you gain more lock
but you are right eventually i will need to extend the track width (either longer arms or move the mounting points outwards) or spacers and/or lower et wheels
but i want to eventually make my suspension adjustable for camber caster so i can set up camber angles when on part or full lock to gain more front end grip were i spend most of my time :mrgreen: and other things but you have to go in deep to explain it better
Posted Image

#9 boo_kong

boo_kong
  • Current Car:540i

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:39 PM

i think your find making the arms longer will give you less lock??? I'm pretty sure. shorten the arms will give you more lock. it forces the knuckle to travel that much more.

I'm having the same problem, iv cut off my lock stops but the system its self has maxed out. a essayer way around it from what i can see is to extend the arm that comes out of the steering unit and the same to the guide one on the other side. this will give more travel for the steering mine arm and also doing this you don't have to touch the knuckles.

am i even close to being right? lol

the lock on there no with just lock stops taken out is pretty pathetic i think. only trouble after doing something like this is we are very very close to going over center.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users