Raymond

E39 Electric Memory Seat Install Guide 'How to' PIC HEAVY

It's not something that comes as a retrofit kit so the loom is part of several looms.

What you need is:

Drivers door loom

Memory buttons

Cutoff relay

Loads of wire

14 hrs spare time

Just follow my guide and if you do get stuck just PM me and I'll get you through.

I'd help you out but I can't do any work on cars atm.

The cutoff relay needs to be wired in in order to shut down power to the seat. If you can't wire it up from my guide then I can PM you some diagrams if that's easier?

Thanks for your advice. 

The current plug in my car (which fits  perfectly into the seats) is yellow. The driver side has 2 wires going into it (I'm guessing  these are for the seat belt pretenstioners) so if I was to add a live and earth, how would I slot the wires into-the plug? Also which of the slots are live and earth? And would I have to connect the live into the fuse box under the driver seat?

For the live and earth:

What type of wires will I have to use?

Where can I buy these wires from?

The passenger side has the same yellow plug but with more wires. 

Regarding the heated seat function:

Where would I be able to buy a retro fit wiring harness for the electric seats? 

Will the harness be compatible with the yellow plug ie plug and play? 

The yellow plug replaced the black one in September 1998 but uses the same wiring just different order.

The seat heating retrofit loom can be obtained from BMW.

I'll do some digging tomorrow and get some diagrams.

Thanks for the info. Iv not had a chance to start with the seats been really busy with work. Just about manage to remove dash and centre console. Should have some time off in October will continue then. Do u know of some1 based in bham who could do the wiring for me? Im Willing to pay for labour.

Thanks again.

If you can take the dash and centre console out yourself I can't see you running into problems wiring it up. It really isn't all that difficult as all the wiring routes are in the write-up.

I'd help you out but I'm not in a position where I can atm. If you get stuck somewhere just let me know.

It took me 14 hours IIRC ad half an hour coding it in with Rob on the phone.

I'll draw the diagram for the K72 up that Rob mentioned above when I can.

Edited by Raymond

Question:

Can I convert my existing manual sport seats to an electric one, keeping the actual seats but changing the bases? Reason is I have an Aegean Edition with the individual Nappa Light Silvergrey seats in still very good condition, and its a shame to lose that.

Yes or no?

Question:

Can I convert my existing manual sport seats to an electric one, keeping the actual seats but changing the bases? Reason is I have an Aegean Edition with the individual Nappa Light Silvergrey seats in still very good condition, and its a shame to lose that.

Yes or no?

Yes

You'll have to change the bases and backrests. Easiest way is to buy a set of electric sport seats and replace the leather covering.

The backrest is different as is has a sort of rack/pinion bit in the top for the electric headrest.

It took me about 2 hours to remove and replace the passenger seat occupancy mat in mine so you'll be looking at a days work if you take your time :) The leather is clipped in at some places and the rest is held on by folded metal pins.

I was thinking of buying some grey leather memory seats on Ebay. But took one look at the photo, the one that looks like someone has set a bomb off in your car, and its put me off completely! Why cant they make it so you can just connect a couple of wires from your heated seat connections? It would be much easier. :)

1. Because the positive feed for the heating isn't thick enough and it would probably get hot.
2. The positive feed needs to go through a relay that is controlled by the GMIII to put the driver seat to sleep when the car goes to sleep.
3. You need an extra wire to the driver seat to make the memory work.

It's not all that hard and all the thinking work has already been done for you ;-)

Edited by Raymond

This is all great stuff ... also this link to taking the back of the front seats off is helpful:

http://www.bimmerboa...ms/posts/406671

BUT my clips were a bit different so here are some photos. (see red circles) I yanked the top ones icon_eek.gif out first BUT in fact the bottom ones should pop off and then the top can be lifted off.

post-36758-0-68226200-1334667026_thumb.j

post-36758-0-56560600-1334667032_thumb.j

And what is this spare (circled in red) connector for - vibrating seats, air cooling? (I already have heated electric memory seats!)

post-36758-0-50976600-1334667029_thumb.j

Edited by bmwtastic

^^ Some seats have the clips like yours (my current ones have) but some have two torx bolts in the bottom of the back face holding them on. You don't need to remove the back to fit memory seats though.

The spare connector goes into the diverter valve for the lumbar support. Have a look at this > http://forum.bmw5.co...ll-guide-how-to

Edited by Raymond

Awesome stuff Ray, when I saw the earliest pictures of stripped out car, footwells, tools etc I thought you were breaking the car not improving it - scary, scary stuff for us less talented mortals who just about know where the bonnet release is plus dipstick etc on a good day.

Awesome stuff Ray, when I saw the earliest pictures of stripped out car, footwells, tools etc I thought you were breaking the car not improving it - scary, scary stuff for us less talented mortals who just about know where the bonnet release is plus dipstick etc on a good day.

Cheers mate.

It's actually not as daunting as it looks I think. Just keep screws, bolts and nuts organised a bit and you can't go wrong. It's pulling the wiring through the dash that is the worst bit.

Raymond

I have bought a set of electric memory seats with door cards etc etc but at the moment I just want to power the seats to move them (without the memory function) is this possible please I have yellow plugs and I do have the plugs off the loom with about 1 foot of wire to show me colours :) In 1 plug I have a large brown + a large red/yellow and then 5 thinner wires and the other plug has the same except the second large wire is red/brown.....

Now my question is I have just put live and earth to the larger wires and " all the motors work" type thing :) :) can this be left like it or do I need relays and or fuses in line :):D :D

Edited by Sean.

Sean, get some 30A fuse in line for each seat just in case.

I had my seats wired in with just + & - but the drivers seat drains the battery slowly so be aware.

The K72 relay gets a sleep signal from the GM and cuts power to the drivers seat.

The passenger seat is always live as it doesn't have the memory boxes on the motors thus not draining power.

You better off installing them properly though and have the benefit of memory settings too.

Passenger is the glove box fuse box

Driver is the fuse box under the seat

Re-read. Not switched!

IIRC F19 is switched but need to look it up to be sure.

Edited by Raymond

Sean, get some 30A fuse in line for each seat just in case.

I had my seats wired in with just + & - but the drivers seat drains the battery slowly so be aware.

The K72 relay gets a sleep signal from the GM and cuts power to the drivers seat.

The passenger seat is always live as it doesn't have the memory boxes on the motors thus not draining power.

You better off installing them properly though and have the benefit of memory settings too.

Thanks for the reply Ray

My long term plan is to wire them fully with the memory function but short term is to just plug the seats in for now lol :) as I need to acquire the memory steering column and mirrors as well yet, but first need to sort out some part worn runners for the winter wheels then re-furb and new tyres for the 32's

Thanks for the reply Ray

My long term plan is to wire them fully with the memory function but short term is to just plug the seats in for now lol :) as I need to acquire the memory steering column and mirrors as well yet, but first need to sort out some part worn runners for the winter wheels then re-furb and new tyres for the 32's

Piper is selling a set of memory mirrors in Biarritz ATM! Columns you can pick up for nowt now.