Raymond

E39 Electric Memory Seat Install Guide 'How to' PIC HEAVY

This is a guide on how I fitted electric memory seats to my 1997 E39 Touring that came with standard cloth manual non heated seats.

First of all a big thank you to:

Rob (rob-the-viking)
Toni (Clavurion)
Flow (Flow124) German E39 forum

I have fitted the electric memory seats WITH sleep power cut-off to the memory seat which is as OEM factory fitted apart from the switched ignition on F5 which I have used F19 for.

Lately I have received numerous PM's and emails from people that want to install memory seats so I thought I do a little write-up.

Apart from tools you'll need the following:

1. E39 5-Series
2. A set of memory seats
3. Drivers door wiring loom from a car with memory seats.
4. K72 relay P/N: 61.35-8 365 960
5. Four blade fuse holders
6. Memory switch pack

This is the K72 relay:

HPIM0970.jpg

It has 5 contacts that need to be connected:

2. Ground/earth
4. Output to memory seat via fuse 13
5. Input from GMIII (Pin 19 on X254)
6. 50A +ve feed. 80A on post Sept 1998
8. IGN feed (fuse 19)

Drivers door loom with memory switch pack connector:

HPIM0960.jpg

Chopped this out of a broken E39 for the blade fuse holders:

HPIM1069.jpg

Memory switch pack:

HPIM0994.jpg

First install the drivers door loom and the memory switch in the drivers door. White connector is for the memory switch and the yellow one for chromatic mirror (if present)

Note the P-bus wire (thinnest of the two) as you need to trace it back into the car and find it behind the bonnet release handle passing the LKM/LCM.

HPIM1017.jpg

You'll need access to the rear and side of the fusebox above the glovebox, main fusebox below the drivers seat, earth points below drivers seat and passenger seat and lastly the relays behind the steering EWS.

After a few hours it'll look like this... nice.. laugh.gif

HPIM1311.jpg

I'll start off with the passenger seat as it only needs two wires connecting and it's closest to the fusebox. +ve and -ve. If you have heated seats already then you only need +ve.

You'll need to add the +ve to slot number 6 and -ve to slot number 1 in the seat connector.

HPIM0977.jpg

The -ve wire is relatively short as the earth points are under the passenger seat biggrin.gif

HPIM1319.jpg

All cables are routed through the plastic cage in the sill. -ve to the earth point and +ve to fuse holder number 10 as per factory install.

HPIM1318.jpg

Solder the +ve wire to the fuse holder, retract the plastic retainer in the fusebox and slot the wire in position F10. It's key to remove as much as possible around the fusebox so you can spin it round. These holders go in easily but do not come out.

HPIM1312.jpg

The input to F10 is already live so only the output wire to the seat is needed.

HPIM1323.jpg

That's the passenger seat done. Next up is the drivers seat.

The drivers seat only needs three wires. +ve, -ve and the P-bus wire.

You'll need to add the +ve to slot number 6 and -ve to slot number 1 and the P-bus wire to number 4 in the seat connector.

HPIM0980.jpg

The P-bus wire needs to be connected to the P-bus you've traced back in the footwell discussed above. Solder it on rather than crimping so you can always de-solder it and revert the install.

Connect the -ve to the earth point under the drivers seat and from the second earth point run a cable to pin 2 on the K72. Open up the fusebox and run a wire from the 50A spare fuse to pin 6 on the K72. Lastly, run the +ve from the seat all the way to F13 output in the fusebox (glovebox).

HPIM1325.jpg

Now the easy part is over it's time to wire the K72 relay up biggrin.gif

You'll need to pull three lenghts of wire from the fusebox (glovebox) to the K72. I wanted it like a OEM install so routed them with the main loom near the front windscreen. This is where you'll spent wasting most time :shock:

Wires ready to be connected up:

HPIM1332.jpg

The K72 needs an ignition feed which we will take from F19 as that's already fed from IGN and goes to pin 8 on the K72. It also forwards the power coming into pin 6 to pin 4 so from pin 4 it's need a wire to F13 input (top)

Now there's only one wire left which needs to be connected to the GMIII in order to send a sleep signal to pin 5 on the K72. The wire needs to be connected to pin 19 on the X254 connector (black 20-pin) to the GMIII.

Now all five wires are where the K72 is going to live it's just a matter of connecting them up

HPIM1333.jpg

I'm sourcing an OEM relay seat but for the time being the yellow spade connectors will do :mrgreen:

Put the car back together and stick a 30A fuse in F10 and 13 and a 5A fuse in F19, connect the battery and code the SA function to the car with NCS Expert.

Rob is an expert in this btw :wink:

This install will roughly take 14 hours without coding. Maybe it can be done a little quicker but I had to take this carkit out and put it back in. :evil:

All you need to do now is walk to your fridge, get a couple of beers out and be proud of your achievement laugh.gif

Edited by Raymond

Raymond are you an electrician by any chance? That totally goes over my head and looks really complicated. So many wires it scares me. :?

It's a really interesting read thought!

Raymond are you an electrician by any chance? That totally goes over my head and looks really complicated. So many wires it scares me. :?

It's a really interesting read thought!

No, far from it. I repair computers and install networks for a living. I wish I had the knowledge to be an electrician though.

I had lots of help from Rob and Toni on here and Flow on the DE E39 forum 8)

Very nice write up Ray.....im thinking I would just be able to bypass the memory function like I did in my E34 when I fitted the E32 electric memory seats, all the functions except the memory :wink:

Very nice write up Ray.....im thinking I would just be able to bypass the memory function like I did in my E34 when I fitted the E32 electric memory seats, all the functions except the memory :wink:

That's how I had it wired up for a bit but the memory buttons kept staring at me :shock::lol:

I have retrofitted memory mirrors as well now so I really ought to get a memory steering column retrofitted :roll:

Nice one Ray - I've only just noticed this thread as you linked to it on Chi's thread.

Amazing how one sometimes misses good threads.

Anyway, looking forward to getting mine sorted.

Not yet fella, you know it takes me an age just to do one job on the car.

Electric fettling to do list stands as follows:

Fit loom

Fit modules

Install foldies and get em working

Wire up seats and get em working

Get memory to foldies and seats working

Install rear blind, loom and switch and get it working

Remove HID's, change bulbs, clean up and rewire

Can't wait!

Not yet fella, you know it takes me an age just to do one job on the car.

Electric fettling to do list stands as follows:

Fit loom

Fit modules

Install foldies and get em working

Wire up seats and get em working

Get memory to foldies and seats working

Install rear blind, loom and switch and get it working

Remove HID's, change bulbs, clean up and rewire

Can't wait!

If you just install the loom in the drivers door, fit modules and flappy mirrors that'll save a hell of a lot of time.

Just need some wires sticking here and there and code the things in :D

can one of you take a picture of the passenger side modual I need

This is the module but there are about 5 different P/N's you can use for flappy mirrors.

HPIM0962.jpg

Edited by Raymond

I can't believe I am going to try this! I told myself that I had finished after the carpet.... What on earth would i need to do that would involve taking everything out of the car again i thought!????!

I can't believe I am going to try this! I told myself that I had finished after the carpet.... What on earth would i need to do that would involve taking everything out of the car again i thought!????!

:lol::lol:

The force can have a strong influence on the weak minded !!!

:D

Rear carpet was easy mate. It's the front bit I would

Never attempt again lol

You'd be happy to know that the front carpet can stay in :mrgreen:

The fusebox, loom guides and earth points are all on sill side so you can hold it up. I cable tied the drivers side to the steering wheel :idea:

I blame this entire thing on you raymond (and seeing 2 contours for sale) - until i saw your thread i thought... no way would anyone even bother trying to install electric seats!

Technically i have removed the entire interior from 4 e39's 2 scrapped, mine and chi's! i am quite fast at it now but its soooo much work!

I have another PM for you also Raymond... please ignore if im annoying you

It'll all be worth it in the end :mrgreen:

I love my seats and they're just standard electric ones. They'll be swapped for Contours or Active seats after the summer 8)

My 3 year old is even more excited with them as he can mess about with the buttons :lol: Then it's 1 press of the button and it all comes back to your own settings 8)