Calypso-E34

E46 crankshaft / camshaft sensors - Update!

Some of you may have seen my other thread about the E46 318i cutting out at a roundabout, and not starting again for about half an hour. General consensus on the forum was a faulty crank sensor. Anyway, the mechanic at my new found garage read the fault codes, which flagged up faults with the camshaft sensors and the crankshaft sensor, so I booked the car in to have all three replaced. Price quoted was around �60 plus VAT per sensor, plus around an hour's labour.

Car went in yesterday. When I collected it, I noticed that I had only been billed for the two crankshaft sensors, so I queried this. I was told that they had the engine in bits when they discovered that BMW had sent the wrong crank sensor, but that they had tested the old one and found it to be fine, and so they popped it back in.

Can anyone tell me how likely that story is? Firstly, is it possible to do all that work in an hour? Secondly, is it possible to test one of these crankshaft sensors to see if it's good or bad? I'm sniffing the air, and I think I smell bullshit.

I suppose at the end of the day I have been charged a reasonable price to change the two camshaft sensors (�244.00 including VAT - sensors ended up costing �77 plus VAT each), but that isn't really the point - I want the car reliable for my Wife and young Daughter.

Edited by Calypso-E34

I take it its an n42 engine? The camshaft sensors are at the front of the engine and would take about 10 minutes to change and the crankshaft is a bit more difficult as its bear the gearbox i think. Im sure the sensors are technically the same pulse sensors, maybe wrong though. I know they cost 80ish from calterdon. Where did you get this done wasnt jimmy was it?

Where did you get this done wasnt jimmy was it?
Nah - M & M Motors beside Calterdon - Jimmy's great, but a pain in the arse to get to and from his place at rush hour. Sensors are BMW ones - I wouldn't waste my time with anything else.

Where did you get this done wasnt jimmy was it?
Nah - M & M Motors beside Calterdon - Jimmy's great, but a pain in the arse to get to and from his place at rush hour. Sensors are BMW ones - I wouldn't waste my time with anything else.

Ahh rob and his young boys, they did my chain and guides but i dont really like using them for the reasons i feel treated like a tard. I would have done your cam sensors for nothing! So what is it thats not done?

I *thought* (thought not entirely sure) that the crank sensor was only used for starting the engine, and that the cam sensor(s) were then used to control fuelling and ignition.

If anyone can confirm that (or you are able to unplug the crank sensor once the engine is running), it would tend to suggest the cam sensors were at fault.

Martin.

Ahh rob and his young boys, they did my chain and guides but i dont really like using them for the reasons i feel treated like a tard. I would have done your cam sensors for nothing! So what is it thats not done?

That's them. I've just started using them to be honest - they seemed OK rate wise, and I hadn't heard anything bad about them - they are even in the Good Garage Scheme :lol::lol:

Crank sensor wasn't done, but Rob told me he tested it and it was fine. I'm just not 100% happy with that, as I don't want the car breaking down in a dangerous place with my Wife driving, possibly with the little one in the car.

So far, this car has cost me more to maintain than the previous Rav 4 and Peugeot 307 put together! I might sell it and buy another Rav.

Camshaft sensor faults tend to cut the engine when stopped at a roundabout which would be pretty dangerous, mine was doing the same but would start up straight away whereas yours isnt which would sugest the crank sensor also being at fault but sometimes when a cam sensor fails it takes out the crank sensor too.

Heres the position of the crank sensor (3).. bit burried!

Ill check the TIS for crankshaft sensor testing just now, im sure you need some special tool like everythibg for testing these sensors out.

MTYxOTI3X3A=.png

Ill check the TIS for crankshaft sensor testing just now, im sure you need some special tool like everythibg for testing these sensors out.
Cheers mate, that would be useful. I'll be seeing Rob later on, as he's squeezed me in for an MOT on the E34 - it isn't due until June, but as the car is for sale, I'm sure a new owner would appreciate a fresh ticket!

The Crank sensor is a proper arse to change...

IMHO there is no way he is pulling it out,then thinking"oh i will refit this because it tests ok"....They can be tested,but on the car with a scope is the best way.

There is also no way one could be replaced in an hour either......

Sounds like he has dropped a bollock on his initial quote and thought that he will change the 2 easy ones and get the hours labour from you....Then keep his fingers crossed.

There is also no way one could be replaced in an hour either......

Sounds like he has dropped a bollock on his initial quote and thought that he will change the 2 easy ones and get the hours labour from you....Then keep his fingers crossed.

My thoughts exactly Gary. I'm going back to the local BMW indy - even though he's a PITA to get to. Stil need to replace the Crankshaft position sensor to put m mind at rest.

Well, here we go again. The car conked out on a roundabout again today. Same carry on, wouldn't start for half an hour. Once again, I had to come away from work to rescue my Wife, who really doesn't cope well with this type of thing.

So - It seems as though the crankshaft sensor is fubared after all. This time, the quote to fix it is £238.00 including VAT. I think the car will be for sale after that, as my Wife has no confidence in it anymore, which is a shame, because it's a really good looking car, and goes well when the sensors work properly.

That's all I need - another fecking car to sell.

They seem to be making £2500 - £3000 in standard trim, and this one has the nice Titan Line silver trim inside, and some nice 17" alloys with good Contis on, so it should stand out a bit from the crowd - I hope! After that, I need to find something smaller, economical and well equipped - a Peugeot 207 or 307 perhaps.