BMW 5 Series Owners Board uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Thank you for visiting bmw5. If you'd like to show your support for the forum, please consider becoming a Gold Member

Photo
- - - - -

M535i Steering Wheel Play...Any ideas/tips where to look?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shakeym35

shakeym35
  • Locationmiddlesex
  • Current Car:E28 M535I Royal Metallic Blue

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

Hi guys i seem to have some play in the steering wheel around 1inch free play :( .. Im not sure where to look first :? .. Any one got any ideas or tips which would be appreciated :) .... Thanks.

#2 duncan-uk

duncan-uk
  • LocationHerts
  • Occupation:I like drawing with crayons and I try not to go outside the lines

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

Big nut in the cabin at the base of the steering column, track rod ends, centre tie rod, steering box where it mounts onto the subframe, steering box, wheel bearings.

That said these are not the most precise steers either...
Posted Image

www.duncanjamesdesign.com

Need arch rolling? Click here! Archenemy

OK I give in I actually quite like the M535i look, especially in white with black wheels

#3 red35

red35
  • LocationStaffs
  • Current Car:5 pot Turbo

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:38 PM

As Duncan said above plus idler arm/bushes.
You're doing ok if you've only got 1" of play! :lol:
Posted Image

#4 shakeym35

shakeym35
  • Locationmiddlesex

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for advice guys :wink: .. Ive just spent some time looking around some possible areas as mentioned above :) ... That big nut at the bottom of the steering colum is nice and tight so thats not it.. the steering box is secure and tight with out any play... Unfoutunately i couldnt get to the bottom of the car today to inspect the other areas mention above as my mate borrowed my trolley jack and will return it tomorrow :) ..... I,ll update you guys tomorrow after inspecting the underneath bits.. red35 :lol: it maybe more then 1"of play as i was guessing, i'm certain its quite abit more... Its anoying while driving on the motorway,feels as if the cars got a mind of its own when accelerating ,swerves side to side and the play in the steering makes it difficult to take control :shock:

#5 duncan-uk

duncan-uk
  • LocationHerts
  • Occupation:I like drawing with crayons and I try not to go outside the lines

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

check the steering box mounts when underneath, one has a tendency to snap.

If nothing obvious the centre arm would be my first choice.
Posted Image

www.duncanjamesdesign.com

Need arch rolling? Click here! Archenemy

OK I give in I actually quite like the M535i look, especially in white with black wheels

#6 red35

red35
  • LocationStaffs
  • Current Car:5 pot Turbo

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:34 PM

Check out the subframe bushes too if your is wandering under acceleration.
Mine were shot and coupled with more like 2" of steering play it made for 'interesting' handling at times. :lol:
The MOT limit is 3" at the steering wheel!!! :shock:
Posted Image

#7 Sharky

Sharky
  • LocationStokenChurch Bucks

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

Axle bushes are poly, the play in the steering is how it is with a steering box, the inch play without the engine running is fine and it none of the bushes, ball joints on the front as they were all new. :)

It will wander slightly on uneven roads by following the ruts, this is the suspension, it is setup for the track and on nice flat surfaces will not wander.
Posted Image

#8 Sir Anthony Regents-Park

Sir Anthony Regents-Park
  • LocationSheffieldshire

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for advice guys :wink: .. Ive just spent some time looking around some possible areas as mentioned above :) ... That big nut at the bottom of the steering colum is nice and tight so thats not it..

It'll be the only E28 that doesn't need a bit of a nip on the 32mm nut then. They're never loose as such but almost always need a tweak to eliminate the wear in the sliding column splines. Put the spanner on the nut, turn the steering wheel clockwise until the end of the spanner is against the tunnel and give the wheel about a quarter turn. You may find the steering wheel won't adjust up and down anymore but if it's set to how you want it anyway, it's not a problem.

Classic BMW Service and repairs.

#9 shakeym35

shakeym35
  • Locationmiddlesex

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:11 PM

Hi Guys thanks for the advice :D ..Sharky nice to be in touch again :wink: the cars going well and i did get to check the underneath today and as you said its all poly bushed and all the steering bits have been replaced :D .. Well it has been a while sinch i owned a e28 almost 12years ago so must have forgotton how the steering should feel.. I rerember my last e28 was a red 85-86 m535i black leather and a dogleg gear box..But sadly ended up selling it after 2 years of owning it :( ... Over the next 11years i had always thought of finding and owning another but never really got around to do so,until one day i watched some youtube videos on m535i's and that really made me begin my search for a decent m535i 8) .. I spent ages searching the net and drove all over the country but most of them where to far gone to save or where not looked after or very very rusty :shock: ....... one morning during a google search i came across pistonheads and saw Sharkys :wink: ..

Anyway it seems like the steering play is a common thing with the m535i :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users