bmwlad

bmw e34 spax adjustables.. top mount question

hi ive brought a spax psx kit for the e34. its a 91 525. fitted the rears no problem. started on the front fought with getting the insert out. just about to put back together and the top mount didnt fit the new shock they look completly different. the part number i brought was the right kit for my car TAP686. has anyone else used this kit ???? if so did your top mounts fit alright. are differences in top mounts on the 34. its the bush in my top mount it wont go on the shock no where near enough to get a thread on it. help please

There are two types of damper on the E34 - short pin and long pin. If the top pin goes through your top mount, you have the long pin shocks which are for the big six and V8 cars. 518i/520i/525i and diesels use short pin shocks.

See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=68727&p=1106692#p1106692

The Spax catalogue is wrong, to be expected for this lot. They show the 525i to be the same as a 530i, 535i and they're not. I'd guess the kit you need is either 682 or 683. They're bloody horrible anyway - enjoy the ride...............

I ordered mine direct from spax and spoke to there guys in the workshop rather than sales...mine is a 1995 525 tds, the front shock fitted fine, pt no TAG1060-I( ,BMW E34 6CYL 8/90>F) i had to measure the shaft dia and length where it goes through the top mount first, when the shock came it did have a metal sleeve to take up the gap where it passes through the top mount but that was it. if it helps i have the Longer pin shocks on mine.

i'd call spax direct, speak to one of the technical guys, i'm sure they will be able to sort it.

xmas2010203.jpg

i needed new top mounts anyway so got short pin mounts. all works fine now shock inserts fitted nice and snug in the leg. went together fine and well impressed. mind mine were pretty shagged to be honest. cheers

Just starting fitting these to our 540i... And having a little issue of our own...

46313355664_57e8e98e91_k.jpg

We seem to have a gab, We'd have thought the spring plate would fit against the edge of the shock... But it's not happening... Spring is fully depressed and we can't tighten the nut up anymore... SOMEONE HELP :lol:

It looks like you have this version of the top mounts:

diag_2r5.thumb.png.c879a5328c8adcc05bc991bbd2643458.png

When what you really need is this version:

diag_2py.thumb.png.37ab91790b42e73826778b4921922923.png

Critical part being part number 3 that spreads the load onto the rubber part of the underside of this top mount, and that has a convex tapered base that sits on that tapered shoulder on your shock absorber. Ignore part 14 as that's a suspension raising ring for 3rd world countries or something!

This is the top mount you need  31331139437:

31331139437lx2.jpg.8e45b37e07e4273b4f5a1adf1b3a3797.jpg

And this is part number 3 aka 31321139423 :

md_edd367b1-8db9-4960-b510-698b702cadef.jpg.1368308e8fe4cc19e2067f9c8f69f331.jpg

Hope this is helpful!

Edited by Flandy

Seems like everyone goes through this problem when they want to upgrade their suspension...

Use the last 7 of your VIN to look up your car on RealOEM and then when you go into the suspension section, where the top mounts are, select the diagram where it says "For Vehicles with M Sports suspension".

Like Flandy said, you need the M-sport top mounts, part number ending in 437, but I would also get all the other bits that go with it, such as the top nut (6) with the rubber washer (5), the nuts for the mounts (4), the spacer as above (3) and the top dust cover (7).

Since you're using non-original suspension, check what else you might need against your existing parts, so you don't miss anything.

Hi Guys 

The Spax damper pin is thinner than the M-tec/Sports mounts version ( Which I originally had for the job) Spax use the standard size pin but the long version damper pin as found with the M=tec version, Spax should really supply  a sleeve which would allow the owner of the kit to use

M-tec or standard mounts depending on the spec of their own E34. 

It looks like spax use damper style 1988/90 You can use both none  M-Tec mounts 1988/90 and 1991/96 but need the complete package.

But to use the M=tec mounts the pins would need a sleeve to allow the m-tec mounts to fit. (Which Spax do not supply in the kit)

Thanks for the comments and help guys  

Edited by USTBUTLER