Neil.D

i Drive problems / frying of electronics by water ingress

Checked for these pipes today but couldn't see them, Did they remove them from the LCI E61?

All areas apart from under the battery seemed dry. I could see a few MM of water under the battery - do we think this could be coming from these blocked pipes or from somewhere else?

On 2/9/2018 at 11:00 AM, edd_jedi said:

Quick question, I was getting a little water in my battery compartment so have just replaced the tail light gasket. However I checked behind the felt stuff and I have no drain tubes as I've seen in other photos. Is this because my car doesn't have a sun roof? Car is E61. Just want to check there's nowhere else water can be getting in.

I seem to be having this issue, is the tail light gasket easy enough to buy and replace?

20 minutes ago, RanchoGrande said:

I seem to be having this issue, is the tail light gasket easy enough to buy and replace?

Yes, from memory it cost about £13 from the dealer and fixed my leak.

Not particularly, but if you take off the old one you will see the problem. It's made of foam so when removed after several years you can clearly see the indent from where it sits between the light and car body, so all it would take is a tiny gap somewhere. Replacing mine definitely solved the problem, a year later still no water in the battery compartment.

2 hours ago, edd_jedi said:

Yes, from memory it cost about £13 from the dealer and fixed my leak.

Another question if I may! did you replace both gaskets/seals (as in, both sections of the rear light) or just the section that is attached to the body of the car? thanks!

I'm pretty sure both the E61 and E60 only have one rear light unit per side? I know some other BMWs have the unit split in two, one part on the body and one in the boot lid. But my E61 lights are one whole part.

EDIT: correction, just looked and seems I'm wrong. So in that case I only replaced the body gasket.

Edited by edd_jedi

52 minutes ago, edd_jedi said:

I'm pretty sure both the E61 and E60 only have one rear light unit per side? I know some other BMWs have the unit split in two, one part on the body and one in the boot lid. But my E61 lights are one whole part.

EDIT: correction, just looked and seems I'm wrong. So in that case I only replaced the body gasket.

Thanks, just took a look at mine and the foam does look quite old. Will replace this and keep an eye on it as I can't see any other place where water may get in?

I had an interesting leak on my E61 some time ago. Car wash pressure lance overcame the rear door seal and filled my spare tyre compartment with water. Car died over a month. Problem was all the modules in the compartment were under water. £600 to replace damaged modules. Leccy found that the leads to the modules were long enough to relocate modules into the rear wheel arch space . Watch the car wash characters.