Neil.D

i Drive problems / frying of electronics by water ingress

Also these are the places you need to be looking. 

Near and off side chambers where there is a storage tray and the battery. Then under the boot tray. I don't have a spare so it's under the storage tray.

if the water is coming from the near side it will travel down the inside of the wing and possibly travel along the wiring loom under the window. It gathers there and drops down onto the storage tray and then through that into the boot. On the other side you have even more risk as there are electrical components on the side and the water can drop on any of it before hitting the battery and then the pan of the boot.

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

An update to my earlier much earlier posts in 2012/13....!  Car is still going strong (2006 530D touring with sunroof) after 185,000 miles.  Water ingress is still sometimes a problem - mainly getting into the battery compartment.  Luckily our drive slopes down towards the road though and we ALWAYS park it facing downhill.  So in spite of clearing the tubes, drilling the pan of the wheel-well, and four years ago having to drain and dry all the little electric gizmos in their specially designed BMW paddling pool - my main piece of advice is that when rain is imminent, ALWAYS park the car facing downhill.  Sorry if you live on the east side with no hills...... maybe make a little set of chocks to reverse the car up on to.

Obviously only drive down hills in the rain too.

The car has a host of little faults other than caused by water, but still drives well and is reliable considering the mileage.  The engine management warning light has been on for 110,000 miles - but the engine seems to run beautifully....

Jim

Hi there everyone, I have a problem with my idrive it goes on and off few times then completely goes off. Then on the dials part the ABS, traction control, driving stability comes on. Can someone please help me I need to get it sorted out

You need to get the codes read and then someone take a look at it. It could be a poor battery but take it from me, I've spent enough time wasted and expense wasted to know, get the car looked at by a reputable Indy or a main dealer

On 06/03/2017 at 8:09 AM, -TARBY- said:

You need to get the codes read and then someone take a look at it. It could be a poor battery but take it from me, I've spent enough time wasted and expense wasted to know, get the car looked at by a reputable Indy or a main dealer

Seconded. I've just had my second replacement Micro Power Module : I started to get slow start up of iDrive and other oddities before it then decided to drain the battery flat in a few hours repeatedly - much to the chagrin of my neighbours when the alarm went off at 5 a.m.!!

Main dealer took care of it, left somewhat poorer but with a lot of peace of mind; and casually, I asked "how do you get it out of 'park' when the battery's dead?".

Next thing I know, the technician's e-mailed me a load of photos showing me how to do it, on my own car!

4 hours ago, e60neindanke said:

Seconded. I've just had my second replacement Micro Power Module :

What is that ? Is that the IBS, or something else ?

I know all about the alarm going off in the dead of night, happened twice to me when the IBS failed ! First time I thought I must have left an interior light on or something but then when it happened again it was off to the garage pronto...

Edited by Tuvoc

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

What is that ? Is that the IBS, or something else ?

I know all about the alarm going off in the dead of night, happened twice to me when the IBS failed ! First time I thought I must have left an interior light on or something but then when it happened again it was off to the garage pronto...

It's a box of trouble that sits in the polystyrene foam moulding in the paddling pool spare wheel tray - p/n 61359266274. I'll take a photo of it and post it, I've got to snap some photos for dotcom1970 later of the supplementary earth mod I did to my rear lights also.

Edited by e60neindanke

As promised, a couple of photos. The first is the Micro Power Module.

E60_MPM.jpg

As before, it's been wrapped up in a plastic bag to avoid what happened the last time the boot turned into a paddling pool, which was this:

E60_MPM_burn.jpg

The saw-marks and the melting of the polystyrene occurred when the previous one overheated due to being drowned and melted itself into the spare wheel tray. It had to be sawn out. A long, long time ago I mentioned that I could smell frying electronics when I came to my car - this was where it came from.

@Tuvoc, as far as I know the purpose of the MPM is to manage battery consumption and put the car to 'sleep' when you lock up and leave it.

Edited by e60neindanke

I have been working on the car (it has pano roof) in the rain with the front end raised. The following morning the rear air springs were deflated and the battery was dead. I had look at the wheel well and fortunately was dry.

WP_001262_zpsou9bbx99.jpg  WP_001263_zpstwkg9nsf.jpg

My novel idea :lol:

WP_001264_zpshuudkxyl.jpg  WP_001265_zps7ijulqq0.jpg

WP_001266_zpsbrtsnayn.jpg

BTW, the long haired General doesn't know. I have used the oven for paint baking, kitchen top as a flat plane and the bath as the parts washer :D

I could be a victim of this problem on our newly acquired e61,wife reported numerous warning lights and messages enroute to work on Wednesday,i,ve just got back and decided to strip the boot area out,maybe half a cup full of water in the well that possibly could have splashed onto the electrics,n/s and o/s by battery is dry,

I,ve cleaned the wheel well out but can,t seem to locate the drain tubes on either side,

Am i missing something,i,m looking in either side compartment and there seems to be no sort of drain tube or facility for one,

Is it a good idea to wrap the individual components in plastic to try prevent further issues?

Car is a 05 reg 525i e61.

Thank you for any help offered and a big thanks to the op for highlighting this problem.

If you read my posts and see my pictures you can see at the very far sides of the boot there are gaps between the internal structure of the rear sections and the panels. In there you will find the rubber hoses and the duck bill valves that clog up.

My advice is you totally need to dry anything out before you bag it up or the devices will create condensation within the bag and you will be in even more trouble.

Has the car settled down? Mine took a good few weeks to settle down.

Just been out in it for a spin of around 30 miles and everything seems fine now,

Where the module for the auto tailgate sits had drops of water around it and under the polystyrene moulding was wet,everywhere else was dry,

I,ve disconnected the tailgate module and positioned the plug facing upwards,thoroughly wiped all areas of the boot out,

I think i will drill a few small holes,one at the front of the wheel well for when the car is at home as we reverse park up the driveway which is on a slope and one in the middle for when the car is on the flat.

Hi 740mick. My m sport touring had been OK until I went to a local carwash. The car wash is usually excellent but this time the lance man over did the rear seal on the door and unknown to me had filled the spare tyre bay with water. Over the following month many error icons appeared on the readout until the car shut down with rear suspension being the final failure. So I took the car round to the local shed garage and he said look at this, I think this the problem. Having removed the covers to show the tyre bay, Steam was coming off the water which had completely  covered the modules. He replace the damaged ones for some £600 quid and suggested that because the leads connecting the modules were long enough he would re-position them up into the rear wheel arch. Hence no problems with casual flooding. The car would have to be under water to repeat the problem. Actually his comments where unprintable at the crap design.   

I think in 4 years of ownership my car has been to a carwash only 4 times or less - for the very reason that high pressure water is potentially so dangerous for these cars. The boot as you've found out, as well as the scuttle drains where the expensive ECU lives. I wash it myself, even if it means it goes longer between washes than I'd like.

My third brake was stuck on,when I’ve went in the boot it’s wet as hell,the carpet only as far as o can tell,I’ll pull it all out tomorrow..everything else is fine..I pulled the fuse on the light...Wednesday before gets heavy snow seems to have move the seal from window to boot 

I was fitting a towbar (and associated electrics) at the weekend, and so as I was already dismantling much of the load area interior trim, decided to have a look at the spare wheel well.

Mine's a '59 plate E61, only bought in Nov/Dec last year, so still getting to know it. No electrical issues.

Found a small amount of water beneath the polystyrene, perhaps a few tablespoons. Nowhere near the modules, so cleaned/dried out and refitted. I'll take a look at the drain tubes over the week.

Need to take a look at the front scuttle drains next, I think. 

File 22-01-2018, 14 13 54.jpeg

Jimme - when you see them pull the valves off the ends and make sure the pipes are not kinked and fit down between the panel and the inner panel so any water drops out of the bottom of the car.

Hi Everyone - new to the boards and happy to find advice on this issue. I have a 2009 5-series Touring 525D and have only just become aware of a deep pool in the right hand boot well (looking at car from behind) which is adjacent to the fuse box. Before I discovered this board (which led me to look for water) my warning lights started with the "Level" issue and last Friday went to a Blackpool illuminations of warning lights including Electronics Failure. Then on my return journey I had no lights and everything seemed normal again.

Can I get your feedback on:

• Water only appears to be coming on RHS (and definitely not in spare wheel compartment) so could this be something other than the sunroof e.g. a seal in side window?
  • My back lights appear to have seals with green algae growing on them - related?
  • Also on my RHS back light there is condensation in one of the smaller light compartments - possible cause (related to seal) or result of sunroof?
  • I can find something on the RHS which may be the famous hose but I cannot see any photos early in this forum (including Neil's first post) and I'm just getting the attached image - perhaps somebody could republish the photos?
  • I spent £900 just before Xmas getting my wiring loom repaired. This was done by a BMW repair garage (German Motor Company, Earlsfield) and contrasted with the quote of £3,500 from my existing BMW repair garage. GMC seem like good guys but they are now quoting me £1,500 to completely replace sunroof etc - I am worried that I would be throwing good money after bad. Des anybody thing pre-Xmas work could have dislodged anything? If I can find the hoses then I will try that first.
  • On a final note (and apologies if this is in the forum somewhere) have you seen the Class action in the USA on this:

http://www.e6061wateringresssettlement.com/frequently-asked-questions.aspx

Has anybody gained any support form BMW UK on this problem?

Many Thanks in adavance

Lee

imageproxy.php.jpeg

Quick question, I was getting a little water in my battery compartment so have just replaced the tail light gasket. However I checked behind the felt stuff and I have no drain tubes as I've seen in other photos. Is this because my car doesn't have a sun roof? Car is E61. Just want to check there's nowhere else water can be getting in.

As a desiccant you use cat litter in a sock.. That'll absorb the moisture.. 

On 05/03/2018 at 3:41 PM, know-dice said:

That should be UNUSED cat litter :rolleyes:

Whatever floats your boat  :huh:

I know I not just seen an E60 with a nappy, did I?>

Guys been chasing this for 3 years. My guess was water from roof / pipes over flowing etc, but I never found them, all pictures here are non existent? Then I thought vent near battery is letting it in as always signs of drops on vent and battery gets main amount of water! But the amount of water (battery full to top) in such short time. 1 day/2 Leads me to think its from car flexing and will be worse in rain/motorway. I Guess its leaking straight off rear window etc and when car rear flexes at speed it gets in at sides (just over battery). So replacing boot seal might be best option to fix but may still leak. That fat arse got to cause some serious flexing when we hit a Ton. No proof but I want to sit in boot with camera and rain. Any safe drivers here?>