Neil.D

i Drive problems / frying of electronics by water ingress

108 posts in this topic

Also these are the places you need to be looking. 

Near and off side chambers where there is a storage tray and the battery. Then under the boot tray. I don't have a spare so it's under the storage tray.

if the water is coming from the near side it will travel down the inside of the wing and possibly travel along the wiring loom under the window. It gathers there and drops down onto the storage tray and then through that into the boot. On the other side you have even more risk as there are electrical components on the side and the water can drop on any of it before hitting the battery and then the pan of the boot.

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

An update to my earlier much earlier posts in 2012/13....!  Car is still going strong (2006 530D touring with sunroof) after 185,000 miles.  Water ingress is still sometimes a problem - mainly getting into the battery compartment.  Luckily our drive slopes down towards the road though and we ALWAYS park it facing downhill.  So in spite of clearing the tubes, drilling the pan of the wheel-well, and four years ago having to drain and dry all the little electric gizmos in their specially designed BMW paddling pool - my main piece of advice is that when rain is imminent, ALWAYS park the car facing downhill.  Sorry if you live on the east side with no hills...... maybe make a little set of chocks to reverse the car up on to.

Obviously only drive down hills in the rain too.

The car has a host of little faults other than caused by water, but still drives well and is reliable considering the mileage.  The engine management warning light has been on for 110,000 miles - but the engine seems to run beautifully....

Jim

Hi there everyone, I have a problem with my idrive it goes on and off few times then completely goes off. Then on the dials part the ABS, traction control, driving stability comes on. Can someone please help me I need to get it sorted out

You need to get the codes read and then someone take a look at it. It could be a poor battery but take it from me, I've spent enough time wasted and expense wasted to know, get the car looked at by a reputable Indy or a main dealer

On 06/03/2017 at 8:09 AM, -TARBY- said:

You need to get the codes read and then someone take a look at it. It could be a poor battery but take it from me, I've spent enough time wasted and expense wasted to know, get the car looked at by a reputable Indy or a main dealer

Seconded. I've just had my second replacement Micro Power Module : I started to get slow start up of iDrive and other oddities before it then decided to drain the battery flat in a few hours repeatedly - much to the chagrin of my neighbours when the alarm went off at 5 a.m.!!

Main dealer took care of it, left somewhat poorer but with a lot of peace of mind; and casually, I asked "how do you get it out of 'park' when the battery's dead?".

Next thing I know, the technician's e-mailed me a load of photos showing me how to do it, on my own car!

4 hours ago, e60neindanke said:

Seconded. I've just had my second replacement Micro Power Module :

What is that ? Is that the IBS, or something else ?

I know all about the alarm going off in the dead of night, happened twice to me when the IBS failed ! First time I thought I must have left an interior light on or something but then when it happened again it was off to the garage pronto...

Edited by Tuvoc

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

What is that ? Is that the IBS, or something else ?

I know all about the alarm going off in the dead of night, happened twice to me when the IBS failed ! First time I thought I must have left an interior light on or something but then when it happened again it was off to the garage pronto...

It's a box of trouble that sits in the polystyrene foam moulding in the paddling pool spare wheel tray - p/n 61359266274. I'll take a photo of it and post it, I've got to snap some photos for dotcom1970 later of the supplementary earth mod I did to my rear lights also.

Edited by e60neindanke

As promised, a couple of photos. The first is the Micro Power Module.

E60_MPM.jpg

As before, it's been wrapped up in a plastic bag to avoid what happened the last time the boot turned into a paddling pool, which was this:

E60_MPM_burn.jpg

The saw-marks and the melting of the polystyrene occurred when the previous one overheated due to being drowned and melted itself into the spare wheel tray. It had to be sawn out. A long, long time ago I mentioned that I could smell frying electronics when I came to my car - this was where it came from.

@Tuvoc, as far as I know the purpose of the MPM is to manage battery consumption and put the car to 'sleep' when you lock up and leave it.

Edited by e60neindanke