r33liner

e60 turbo on a e39 ? ? will it fit ? ?

hi guys been bored over xmas and got thinking (it really hurts !! lol) i have a e39 530d sport and im thinking of modding it a little ive got a remap,decat, k&n filter

but ive been wondering if a e60 turbo will fit my e39 along with a better flowing intercooler ?

any help or suggestions guys ive heard of an e60 turbo fitting a e39 before but cant remember where i heard it.

paul

slooby has done exactly that. You will have to do some custom work, and remap to get the most out of it. The compressor outlet is different, but if you can get the pipe work from a donor car, then it will mostly bolt on. A K&N is worth nothing other than letting through some abrasives to wear your engine down quicker.

This is how I fitted one to mine

The thing is though I bought one of the early GT2260V's with a vacuum operated VNT system so it really was a straight swap, however the later E60's had an electric motor driven actuator, so requires a PWM interface making. Clauvion can explain how to do that bit ;)

My car is currently running on the standard map, one day it will be remapped.

I'm told that the GT2260V adds more at the top end at the expense of the mid range without a remap, I can't comment as my car didn't have a fully functioning GT2556V from the time that I bought it until I got to the bottom of the faults with the vacuum system while fitting the GT2260V. To get the most out of my current set up I will need some bigger injectors (from an early 535d or Alpina D10) before an uprated intercooler is necessary.

hi slooby thanks for the info.

just a few dumb ass questions do you need a custom made manifold made up ? or can you use the original e60 one or can you swap the e60 turbo to the e39 one ?

providing ive got no vaccum probs is it just a case of swapping them over ?

also what was the crack with the later e60 turbos with electronic actuators ?

can they be fitted or are they even more of a headache ?

also last question honest (for the time being anyway lol )

what injectors would i need and again are they just a case of dropping them in or will they need modding ?

If you can get the E60 manifold it is the better option and it does just bolt straight on. The manifold from the E60 is divided right up to the turbo in a 3 + 3 into 2 arrangement, not quite twinscroll but a sort of half way house. If you don't get the E60 manifold, no problem the mounting flange on the exhaust housings of both the GT2556V (E39 M57 engine) and GT2260V (E60 M57N/M57N2 engine) are the same, so the turbos bolt on to either manifold. Check the pics in my thread as linked to (roll your mouse over 'mine' in the first line of my first post on this thread and you can link straight to the thread if you haven't spotted it already ;) ) So yes, just a straight swap, I just needed to modify the GT2260V's turbo to intercooler pipe to match it to the earlier set up, so ideally you want all of the bits in this pic:

yzerh1.jpg

From your donor E60

The Electronic Actuator is better (and less prone to failure) it means the turbo is directly controlled by the ECU, and not via a vacuum system that can get clogged (as in my case) or suffer from perished hoses (that too...) etc. So the turbo can be fitted, but you need to make an interface module to take the signals from the ECU, designed for a vacuum system, and convert them into a drive for the motor unit. It's doable, plans exist for this on the web, but you either need to have the skills, or no fear in trying things to do it. A remap would be essential though to make one of these later turbos work at all I believe.

As for the injectors you either want the larger capacity ones that were fitted to the E39 Alpina D10 (rare) or the earlier (pre LCi I think) 535d, these are a side feed arrangement like the ones already fitted to the E39 so slot straight in, although the ECU will definitely need mapping to suit these! Be prepared though, they are serious money...over 250 quid each new from BM :shock: I'm still trying to find cheaper alternatives...apparently it is possible to buy the D10 nozzles and use them to convert your existing injectors, saving a little money at least.

I believe the Gt2260 turbo should be able to lower turbo lag, and boost from lower rpm and keep boost to higher rpm with a remap, than the gt2556. But since it is a VNT turbo, you will need a really good mapper, as these are notoriously difficult to map out.

Might have found a much cheaper source for the 535d injectors...there's even the possibility of a group buy if anyone is interested!

As for the custom mapping side of things, I have some contacts there too

while your about slooby with regards to a larger intercooler had mine out this evening and it was pretty grimey and grubby inside

i was think about putting an after market larger intercooler in there just to improve the heatsoke in summertime as i go down to spain every summer and in the heat the car really feels the heat so if i can bring down the temp a little being chucked into the engine.

i also thought about moving the standard intercooler forward a bit to see if a little more cooler air gets in there.

what are your thoughts ?

Ok, ideally we need to look at just how efficient the stock intercooler really is before contemplating any changes there. I'll see what I can do about taking some charge temperature measurements on my own car buy placing a thermocouple on each side of the intercooler to and the ambient air temp to see just what's going on. Maybe a bit of a round-to-it, but with no Subaru to play with for a while I need to satisfy my modifying gene ;)

I do however know that a certain mapper mate of mine, who runs a self tweeked '99 530d has, with a few minor mods (same turbo as mine, Aplina D10 injectors, custom decat single box exhaust), ended up running 270+ brake and 500+ lbft of torque! And that was on his original engine that randomly dropped to 5 cylinders from the day he bought it (116k miles on it) to the day he rebuilt the engine to cure it (275k miles)...he is known to experiment :lol:

Clearly the stock intercooler hasn't been a hindrance in his case!

A while back on a thread started by Stan from Ecotune we were discussing custom intercoolers and I put some pics up of the stock intercooler verses the one from the Alpina D10 (a thoroughly tested set up one would suspect)

The D10 intercooler looks to be a little larger:

bmw_alpina_d10_mtr.jpg

The stock E39 530D intercooler looks like this:

530projekti_70.jpg

Clauvion also pointed out that the 530d SE undertray looks better designed for extracting air from the engine bay, something that is also apparent on a friends E46 330cd (late 2004 model with the later M57N engine). There are some interesting details on this Finnish Blog

Now, BMW have clearly been very careful in their design of the rad pack assembly as it is very well ducted to ensure maximum airflow and minimum disturbance, so I fear that moving the stock components around could be detrimental to the cause. However I do think looking at amendments they made to later models (E60, E46 and E90) and then replicating them on our 'first generation' M57 engined cars is certainly a route worth exploring...something I am in effect carrying out myself.

Stock intercooler/rads without shrouds:

?iid=138h7j&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

And with ducted shrouding in place, note position of air con fan:

?iid=138h83&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

It would probably be worth taking your bumper off and removing the shrouds so you and extract the intercooler to give it a thorough clean. I did during my air con condenser shenanigans!

Rest assured I'll be keeping the board appraised of my findings...suppose I had better go but some more thermocouples then ;)

Hi

I'm new to this site but I'm very interested in buying some cheaper 535d injectors as mentioned in this post

Also while I'm posting does any one know if its possible to convert a uk e39 530d to a 530dx

Thanks

Id just like to thank this post and Slooby for the inspiration on putting a bigger turbo on the car.

Old turbo was knackered at 150,000 miles so got a new E60 turbo off ebay and put it in. De-catted and tuned, the car now flies and 600 miles to a tank. Injectors next if the OEM ones fail.

Thanks

icon_cool.gif

Edited by egardner

Better milage now but suspect that is because of the decat, was 37 now 43mpg. The turbo just gives a lot more power.

I payed £1080 which is a bit cheaper than through my garage. The link where i bought it is below. It looks the same as the one i bought, vacuum actuated. We had to adapt the intercooler connection and grind a bit off an engine mount otherwise plug and play.

BMW 530d 3.0 D 2006- GARRETT TURBO CHARGER *BRAND NEW* | eBay

Id just like to thank this post and Slooby for the inspiration on putting a bigger turbo on the car.

Old turbo was knackered at 150,000 miles so got a new E60 turbo off ebay and put it in. De-catted and tuned, the car now flies and 600 miles to a tank. Injectors next if the OEM ones fail.

Thanks

icon_cool.gif

Nice one!

One day I'll get mine mapped to suit the turbo...

Slooby, did you ever fit the bigger injectors?

Worth noting, the X5/E60 turbo will foul the engine mount. The mount needs a bit grinding off the corner. No pics, sorry!

Recon injectors, decat and remap are on the cards for my barge.. eventually!

Slooby, did you ever fit the bigger injectors?

Worth noting, the X5/E60 turbo will foul the engine mount. The mount needs a bit grinding off the corner. No pics, sorry!

Recon injectors, decat and remap are on the cards for my barge.. eventually!

As yet I've done nothing more than fit the turbo and fabricate my own decat.

My car has covered nigh on 185k miles now, 35k ish of that on with the GT2260V, I plan to get a re-map but my mapper and I haven't been able to schedule a mutually convenient time to actually do the work rather than get together for a curry ;)

Let us know if you ever manage to get it done :) I need to get my injectors sorted as the leakback is quite blatantly out of spec. Its just do I go stock or get them rebuilt to 535 spec...

I do know that my mapper mate had his 530d's injectors refurbished and fitted with Alpina D10 nozzles to effectively create a set of 535d injectors, while he was able to generate significantly more power and torque it was at the expense of economy on cruise. It was quite a while back when we last spoke about this though, and this drop off in economy was on a car with an intermittent missfire problem that lingered for several years before he cured it by fitting a new engine...at somewhere close to the 350k miles mark, 240k of them with the missfire... :lol:

Alpina D10 nozzles on basic 530d injectors won't work never as good as original 535d injectors when it comes to efficiency/benefit.

Which version of the 353d injector though Toni? ;)

Like lets say to get it on par with a 540 282bhp?

Would it just be injectors and intercooler and map or turbo also?

Whats the difference between out m57 engines and the facelift 330d engines that make 204 bhp and over 260bhp with a map