BMW 5 Series Owners Board uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Thank you for visiting bmw5. If you'd like to show your support for the forum, please consider becoming a Gold Member

Photo
- - - - -

Changing an E28 M30 starter motor....

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 duncan-uk

duncan-uk
  • LocationHerts
  • Occupation:I like drawing with crayons and I try not to go outside the lines

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

...Now that's a fun job! :evil:

I followed these instructions gained from: here

Starter replacement

Here is the trick to changing the starter on an M30.

Materials:
1: Starter
2: Starter mounting bolts and crush washers
3: 17mm BMW ring spanner
4: Cable ties

Procedure:
1. Disconnect battery terminal
2. Unbolt starter cables that connect to starter solenoid. Remember to label them, VERY useful.
3. Unbolt the manifold-to-valve cover bracket. The wires around the back of the manifold will be easier to move around.
4. Unbolt the heater control valve from its bracket so the coolant hoses are easier to move around.
5. Unbolt the bottom starter bolt with a regular 17mm wrench. This is the easy part.
6. Unbolt the top starter bolt by inserting the long 17mm wrench BEHIND the intake manifold and down underneath the manifold to the starter bolt. You can see the top starter bolt by looking in between the intake manifold into the "holes" with a flashlight. The airflow sensor may be in the way, but you CAN see the bolt from the top. Make SURE the wrench is snug on the bolt, and PULL! Be VERY careful NOT to round the edges of the bolt. There isn't a lot of room to move the wrench back and forth, but it will slowly rotate out. Then, try to put your hand BEHIND the manifold, around the coolant hoses (this is where the removal of the heater valve helps move the hoses around), and unscrew the bolt completely.
7. Remove the starter, being very careful NOT to hit any wires or hoses on it's way out. I had to move it along and bring it underneath and up around the top radiator hose.

Installation is reverse of removal.

8. Put in new starter the same way the old one came out. You may want to clean out underneath the manifold. I used a vacuum cleaner to get some dry leaves stuck in there. You want to be sure no junk gets in around the flywheel. Also, while you're looking, check the flywheel condition.
9. The starter will more or less stay put where it's located. So just turn it slightly to align it and put in the bottom bolt. Hand thread it.
10. Get your hand again, behind the manifold and around the coolant hoses to hand thread the top starter bolt.
11. Tighten both bolts the same way they were untightened. I have a good "feel" for torque and the range for the mounting bolts is rather wide. So don't worry too much. Oh, and make sure you don't round the edges of the bolt!!!
12. Bolt the bracket back in place, reconnect any wires that you disconnected, and bolt the heater valve back in place.
13. Bolt the starter wires back into place, put the rubber solenoid cover back in place with cable ties, and reconnect the battery terminal.

This procedure took me 2.5 hours, first time doing it, and including numerous breaks (even a 20 minute dinner break). You do NOT need to drain the coolant. Only if you really can get your hand around the back of the intake manifold and around the back hose, then you just need to remove that one hose (it goes from the heater valve to the engine head or block).

Again, this is a much better way to replace the starter, and you don't need a machined thin wall socket. You CANNOT get a socket in to those bolts to begin with so DON'T even try.

Another little trick is to use the BMW wrench in the trunk tool kit. Supposedly it fits perfectly allowing you to get the starter off. BMW thinks of everything!
I'd like to thank Erick Baumeister who first told me of this little trick.

Written by Chris Graff '99

I would say the 17mm BMW spanner is essential - no other tool i could think of would get that top bolt out - its a bugger!

Still 2-3 hours and the car will now start first twist of the key! 8)

One wiring question - i didn't notice the connections to the smaller wire when i removed them and referring to bentley has sorted me out but i do have a query.

I have connected the yellow/black wire to terminal 50 and the car starts, there are however a pair of red wires in the vicinity that would match the diag wire and charging wire referred to in bentley.

Should these be connected? to the other spade terminal on the starter (terminal 30) i'd have thought if i needed them for charging it would throw the battery light like when the alternator fails?

Easy enough to put on just want to be sure!

TIA
Posted Image

www.duncanjamesdesign.com

Need arch rolling? Click here! Archenemy

OK I give in I actually quite like the M535i look, especially in white with black wheels

#2 duncan-uk

duncan-uk
  • LocationHerts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:09 PM

I even used an e34 m30 motor too as it has a smaller body - reckon fitting the OE one would be an even bigger 'mare!

To the above i would add remove the oil pressure sender, un plug the 6th injector and ICV too just to gain some more space!
Posted Image

OK I give in I actually quite like the M535i look, especially in white with black wheels

#3 jonah

jonah

Chief Member

• Platinum Members
    • Member ID: 28,501
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:48 PM

...there are however a pair of red wires in the vicinity that would match the diag wire and charging wire referred to in bentley.

Should these be connected?

No.
Andrew.

#4 duncan-uk

duncan-uk
  • LocationHerts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:51 PM

Thanks Andrew, didn't think so.
Posted Image

#5 e28nick

e28nick
  • LocationNottingham

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:15 PM

What a ferker of a job that is! I changed my starter a few weeks ago. I fitted a like for like part too. Took me a similar amount of time.

I saw the instructions you refer to above but it looked such a bitch of a job I decided not to follow them. Instead I just whipped off the AFM and inlet manifold off to give me more room. Just pushing the manifold up a couple of inches made it so much easier. Cost me a set of new gaskets tho, 15 ish and a tube of hylomar blue 4 ish.

I never thought the sound of a car starting as it should would sound so good!!! A very satisfying job.

#6 duncan-uk

duncan-uk
  • LocationHerts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:25 PM

my forearms are grazed to try again !! right now!
Posted Image

#7 bm0p700f

bm0p700f
  • LocationSuffolk
  • Current Car:BMW E34 530i (1988)

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

but your car will now start so that a bonus.
The Cycle Clinic

Gone and not forgotten BMW E28 528i (died in Italy), BMW E28 527i manual (Cat B write off), BMW E28 520i manual sold, BMW E39 528i -trouble in sheep's clothing.

#8 duncan-uk

duncan-uk
  • LocationHerts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:08 PM

yes it was getting to the point where it took 5 minutes to get it started!
Posted Image

#9 dave72

dave72
  • Current Car:E34 525ise,E28 535i

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:34 AM

ithink so correct me if i'm wrong the red wires are for the earlier engines to send a signal to the fuel pump
cheers dave

#10 Horsetan

Horsetan
  • LocationBody in WCUK; mind and spirit in Ireland
  • Current Car:1983 635CSi

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

I even used an e34 m30 motor too as it has a smaller body - reckon fitting the OE one would be an even bigger 'mare!...

Yes, I was told that as well. Specifically the one from the E34 M5.

I have a spare starter motor with undamaged teeth in storage, but not the small E34 one.

yes it was getting to the point where it took 5 minutes to get it started!

Ye're joking, Duncan. FIVE minutes!?? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Posted Image Posted Image
Pat: You wouldn't be advising the use of artificial contraception now Father? Would ya?
Father Ted: Yes I...no I...if you're going to be...I...of course you, you...just feck off!

Hoooolleeeeee f*******k !!!!!!!!

#11 duncan-uk

duncan-uk
  • LocationHerts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

I fitted a regular e34 one and is smaller.

5 mins - yup! Whirr. Click. Whirr. Click till eventually it would engage!
Posted Image

#12 Horsetan

Horsetan

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:24 PM

I fitted a regular e34 one and is smaller. ....

Right so....*starts searching eBay*
Pat: You wouldn't be advising the use of artificial contraception now Father? Would ya?
Father Ted: Yes I...no I...if you're going to be...I...of course you, you...just feck off!

#13 duncan-uk

duncan-uk
  • LocationHerts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:30 PM

Buy new Ivan, 'bout 90 from GSF. Its such a PITA job you don't want to be doing it again in 6 months!
Posted Image

#14 philipofessex

philipofessex
  • LocationFlits between Essex and East Sussex
  • Current Car:smelly old E23s

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

Does the later E34 type have a bit more cranking power? the US bimmerboard guys replace their E28/E23 starters wth later models.
regards,
Philip

#15 duncan-uk

duncan-uk
  • LocationHerts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

Don't know. Sounds different but the main advantage is size aiui
Posted Image

#16 Trisman

Trisman
  • LocationCowfold, Nr.Horsham, W.Sussex.
  • Current Car:E39 532i Touring. 'E12 M535i.

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

I sympathise...!

I did the starter on (now ) Conan's M5.... Worst job evar.

IIRC., the geared hi-torque starters are available for M30 block engines, they're very popular in the old-Jag world, could be worth considering?

Trisman.

Current: E39 Touring B10 3.2 Alpinalike in Oxford Green.
Alpina 3.2 engine & gearbox mit flappy paddles. 19" Alpina alloys, spoiler & interior.
M5 Brakes, roof-rail delete & stuff.
E12 M535i Kashmir Gold, 16" open-lug Alpina alloys.

Gonnie:

E31 850CSi Manual V12 insanity in Orient Blau.

E39 540i Manual in Smurf Bloo.

E24 635CSi manual. Grun. Style 5 Alloys, lowered B5 suspension.

E39 '00 530i Imola Red Sport manual.

E39 '98 528i SE Auto Arctic Silver. (237k miles!)
E28 M5 No.8. Weiss. (Now floating around German eBay).
E28 M535i NO2 Monster, Red. Now on this forum! :)
E24 635CSi, Blue,
E28 M5, Lach silver.

#17 philipofessex

philipofessex
  • LocationFlits between Essex and East Sussex
  • Current Car:smelly old E23s

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

Tris, is that really you? Remember those lock ups you had in London, crammed full of E28 goodies?

Are you now based in lovely cowfold? Got a country pad to escape the smoke?

I'm also in East Sussex now, having been ejected from Essex in 2009
regards,
Philip

#18 Horsetan

Horsetan

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

.....IIRC., the geared hi-torque starters are available for M30 block engines, they're very popular in the old-Jag world, could be worth considering?

A quick Google reveals nothing that would fit the M30 engine. Plenty out there for Jags, though, as ye say.

#19 duncan-uk

duncan-uk
  • LocationHerts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

Nothing wrong with OE AFAIK only that they're a bugger to fit. Th e34 one just makes it a little easier!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users