BMW 5 Series Owners Board uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Thank you for visiting bmw5. If you'd like to show your support for the forum, please consider becoming a Gold Member

Photo
- - - - -

How to change keyfob battery?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cadburys_5

cadburys_5
  • Current Car:530i Individual Velvet Blue

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:01 PM

As above guys, does anyone know how I can change the battery in my diamond shape keyfob?

I have to press the button eleventy million times before the car unlocks. I don't fancy paying £110 for a new keyfob from bmw, So I'm hoping the battery can be replaced.

Thanks in advance.
Individual Velvet blue 530i Sport.

#2 wiganer

wiganer

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:05 PM

Not easily, you have to cut it open. They are suposed to recharge while in the ignition. Past experience says it is usually the battery breaking away from its solder joints. Cut open, solder up, glue back together, or buy one of those screw together cases off fleabay.

#3 cadburys_5

cadburys_5
  • Current Car:530i Individual Velvet Blue

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:11 PM

Not easily, you have to cut it open. They are suposed to recharge while in the ignition. Past experience says it is usually the battery breaking away from its solder joints. Cut open, solder up, glue back together, or buy one of those screw together cases off fleabay.

The thought of soldering has soldering and gluing has worried me :( , Do you have any further info on those screw together cases?

Thanks
Individual Velvet blue 530i Sport.

#4 ipbr21054

ipbr21054

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:26 PM

I have never seen a screw together case.
I have cut open many of these keys and its quite easy once you have done one.
You need to cut with a hacksaw through the key loop section that would fit on your key ring towards the metal section of the key "down through the top towards the remote itself"
As daft as it my seem listen to the noise it makes as you cut through.
The pitch will change as cutting through the key loop is say hollow but when it starts to cut the main case its a little more rigid,you will hear this quite clearly.
When the pitch of the noise changes cut a very small amount into the case then stop.
Once you cut through the loop you only need to cut a small way through the actual case as to not damage the inside.
Should you cut to far down into the case it will hit the battery.
Once you have listened for the change it pitch use a large flat bladed screwdriver to then go down into the cut you have just made and turn it 90 degrees,dont ram it all the way in,you only need it in enough to be able to turn and pop it open.
This will pop open the case nice and easy.
If you did not cut down enough the case will still pop open with the screwdriver but just a little more force is needed when turning,normally what happens if you dont cut down far enough is when you turn the screwdriver the loop just breaks off.
The circuit board can then be removed with the battery on the circuit board.
The battery has 2 vertical tabs attached which are soldered to the it and then go through the circuit board and soldered on the other side.
Get yourself a battery about £7 i think and take it to your local tv shop which will be happy to replace it for you for about £2 and will take them 2 minutes.
Buy a new snap together shell case and put your circuit board inside with new battery soldered in place.
Then you will need to get this new uncut shell case cut so it will fit your locks etc.
Should cost in total about £18
If you cut open your case carefully you could glue it back together again but it depends on what the end result looks like for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users