Slooby

What to choose for a cheap Fast Road/Track toy?

Unfortunately due to some personal circumstances I'm having to break my 500+ brake Impreza toy to raise some capital. However this will mean that I am without a sensible weight performance car with a manual gearbox for high days and holidays.

Now, after I have sold of the running gear from the Impreza I may have a little, and I mean a little, bit of cash to satisfy my requirements.

I've been thinking about buying a cheap E36 to tinker with as there seem to be a few 6 pots of the 2.5 litre flavour around with manual boxes for the 500 quid banger region. Now, the question is; is a 325i a better bet than a 328i for example with a blown head gasket? it appears that around 500-600 buys you an early E36 325i with a bit of ticket or a later 328i with a blown head gasket.

So, as there seem to be quite a few 323/328's around with blown head gaskets is there a common problem with these engines that mean repair is just not an option? ie warped blocks, because they're alloy, which are far more difficult to fix than say a warped head which isn't that hard to get sorted

A 7 type car with tiny trailer, no tax, insurance or MOT and a towbar for the 530d. Buy right and you will lose little in depreciation. Something like a 120bhp Caterham Roadsport (not the cheapest 7 at all, just an example) will keep up with an E46 M3 on track. Bit poo on long straights but can brake so very late and fly round the bends without using up much tyres or brakes.

Tracks put such a strain on the car that, quite simply, the lighter it is, the less it will cost to run. Needless to say, lighter cars perform best as well.

Failing that, get an old 3 series (E30 ideal) and strip it so that all is left is a seat, controls and a rev counter. Add cage, better brakes and suspension. You'd still need a towbar though!

Ah, I see the missing info here; I'm skint ;)

While a Caterfield is most definitely a great track day car; if I could afford one (that would hold my interest and satisfy my creative streak) I'd keep the scoob as is because it's erm...more 'challenging'. Think four wheeled superbike, as in it will out drag most superbikes, and out grip most track cars...it is truly wrong for a 4 door family saloon car which can still carry 5 people!

What I'm looking at here is a really cheap car that can entertain me on the road, satisfy that creative streak and serve as a really cheap track car. I'm talking a 500 quid 325i, E30's seem thin on the ground that cheap now, but by the looks of it E36's are falling into that category

Oh and the E39 has a towbar, it has towed the scoob to a few events

325i all day long, never seen the point in the 328i tbh, and always felt the 325i was a bit stronger.

...except the 328i is comfortably quicker, for a start. More power, more torque, easily tunable up to 220bhp - makes the 325i look a bit pointless.

But, I think the OP is looking in the wrong direction completely. The answer to this dilemma is an MX5. Pick up a Cat D Eunos Roadster and you'll tick all the boxes, but much more cheaply than with an E30 or E36.

The 325i is heavily restrained due to EU emissions law, and also has the non-failure prone cast iron block.

However, the 328i is equally restrained - put a 325i inlet manifold and throttle body onto a 328i and you'll have it singing.

Buy RumRunner's M3 engined whateveritisi for 2 bags of sand, that's bang for buck.

But, I think the OP is looking in the wrong direction completely. The answer to this dilemma is an MX5. Pick up a Cat D Eunos Roadster and you'll tick all the boxes, but much more cheaply than with an E30 or E36.

Can't bring myself to it :P

Plus it would be living outside and I've always struggled to get comfortable in one for some reason.

Now, more on this block thing; just how bad are the 2.8i blocks? Cast Iron block appeals, especially if I get mad ideas and start looking at my welder and the odd turbo I have kicking around ;)

Ah, I see the missing info here; I'm skint ;)

Oops, sorry dude ;)

In that case it has to be a stripped E36 if you are staying BMW. E46 is, after all, still to new and the E30 is too classic. Would take an E30 if available at the price though.

I have a e36 328i manal coupe. excellent cars. I have owned it since the first owner 9 years ago.

I am looking to change it. No head gasket issues, BMW New engine 50K ago with reciepts. Taxed and MOT'ed

Lots more grunt and torque than the 325 and handles really well it would make an excellent track car.

Hi Rob,

With the running gear removed my Impreza 'Slooby' really only has sentimental value these days as I've owned the car from new, 12th September 1998, ironically probably the day it comes off the road in 2010 :( I'm selling the running gear to make a large dent in my level of debt that's been building up for a few years.

Once the parts have gone I'll have another shell to store for one day when I have some real money again to build it again, hopefully even stronger using the knowledge learnt from this one, although I suspect in reality it will lie under a cover an remain neglected like all my other projects did until I amit it will never happen.

For cheap thrills Imprezas are just too expensive, and I've rather spoilt myself on the simple bolt on mod versions by building Slooby into such a monster. As a motorbike (the nearest thing in performance terms plays cost) simply isn't an option for my level of skill, I'll need something that has more challenging levels of grip so it can be exciting at lower speed and more importantly cost. The downside is I won't get the acceleration hit I so crave, believe me when I say it's so addictive that the bikers who have been out in my car usually go: 'yeah yeah, but it's no....'kin hell that's just wrong! Do it again!!!' The best way I can explain it is your vision goes just like the effects they use to show 'warp speed' in Star Trek ;) Still with any luck friends with similarly specced cars may take pity on me from time to time and let me have a drive...in the mean time I'll at least needs something with a manual box to keep my left leg from turning to atrophy :lol: