Mrp-Dismantlers

Removing Windscreen?

An excellent write up gents, thanks for this!

I'll be fitting the replacement screen to the E24 at the weekend - the original got smashed when the car got vandalised. 

I've bought a brand new seal (£155 Dealer-only for the E24. There are no other stockists!!!), some tools and some tubes of Arbo mast. 

Fortunately I managed to acquire not one but two windscreens. So I have a get out of jail card if the first one goes!!

42382603_10156643857664798_2775906855975

Just now, Taffy 1 said:

Bloody 'ell mate was that the one I saw?

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:39 PM, gary francis said:

I done the same 6 years ago good luck check rust where the subframe mounts to the body

20121125_150021.jpg

Looks like i'm about to go through exactly the same repair on both sides, plus driver's footwell and a few other places. It appears several leaves of steel converge at the rear subframe mounts.

IMG_5419.JPG

IMG_5426.JPG

Munich, have you studied tonybmw on http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/119596/1987-bmw-e28-m5-blue page 4-5 onwards for subframe mounts.

Truthfully its what puts me off doing anything with mine!

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:04 AM, JohnH said:

Munich, have you studied tonybmw on http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/119596/1987-bmw-e28-m5-blue page 4-5 onwards for subframe mounts.

Truthfully its what puts me off doing anything with mine!

I have seen tonybmw's thread before, completely forgot about it. Gives me an exact idea of what to expect.

It looks worse than it is but I wont be tackling it myself, am on the hunt for a reputable welder somewhere near me. I keep telling myself "you're only going to do it once", til the next e28 of course. Several full days with grinder under the car removing stonechip was by far the worst part of this resto!