Mrp-Dismantlers

Removing Windscreen?

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of prepping my project M535i for paint. I could now do with having the windscreen out to treat a small patch of rust.

Anybody know a good method to get the screen out without damaging it? are they boded in?

Also should I try save the original seals or are they readily available?

Many thanks!

Mathew

seals are available new, about 90-100 from BMW

Do you want to save the screen or the rubber or both, if you know a windscreen fitter, let them take it out, although it will be at your risk glasswise, they have the special tools for the job.

The screen rubbers usually do a couple of tours of duty, so should be ok to use again, over the years i have removed a number e28 screens with no breakages and reused the rubber, if you want to save both, say so , and i will tell you how to do it.

Can be done as a DIY. Take the strip out as mentioned above. Then work from inside the car. Start at the top, Push the inner lip out past the metal aperture with a small blunt screwdriver. Do this all along the top and down both sides. Once you've done this, the screen should push out. It can take a long time, but if you work symetrically and gradually, you won't be applying uneven stress to the glass. Make sure there's someone there to catch it when it's ready to come out.

I've seen people in scrap yards do it by pushing them out with their feet - but this often breaks them so probably best to avoid this method unless you're just doing it to remove an already broken one.

I did a MK2 Fiesta rear screen recently for the same reason. Putting them back in is also relatively easy. Use nylon curtain cord. Fit the rubber seal. Then put the nylon cord in round the outside of the seal. You want to end up with the both ends at the bottom (in the middle). Sit the screen in starting at the bottom. Make sure it's in all along the bottom before pulling the cord up the sides. Work evenly on both sides. Some screens need a bit of light pressure putting on them from the outside to help them in. I used to use fairy liquid to ease them in, but on the fiesta, due to it's age, I used clear waxoyl, on the basis that there was no harm in it being there in case the car was tempted to go rusty at any time in the future.

As for refitting the trim on the outside, I'm sure there have been some excellent tips for this posted on here before. The bottom bit is metal, so it can get dented if you're not careful. The rest is plastic, so can be brittle with age and snaps easily. Just try not to bend it too much and it should be alright.

My non damaging method of e28 screen removal is as above,12quidkidinnit has sussed it,if done with care screen, and rubber survive without problem, however to gain easy access to the inner edge of the rubber seal it will be necessary to remove the sunvisor trim panel and the screen pillar trim.

Well I have just spent a very frustrating couple of hours attempting to remove the windscreen using 12s and Bavs method outlined above. I can easily work the seal on the a-pillars where they are just metal/paint but the bit across the top and on the top corners has the headliner held in place by the seal, so when you poke the seal with ones screwdriver it tucks up perfectly then just untucks itself. I've given up. Wolloth und Nasch have them on sale at the mo. Total cost including postage is £71.

Anyone else done it successfully?  

Mine was done by a window fitter after the fucking body shop- "Weston Super Mare Accident Centre" smashed mine. Do not anybody ever touch them with a barge pole.

I've got all original BMW glass which I needed to remove in one piece prior to paint. After getting silly quotes to remove glass (£150 per screen just to remove with no guarantee it'll come out in one piece, National Windscreens) I decided i'd have a bash myself. It wasn't going to be much more to buy a replacement screen should it all go tits up.

Took around 90 mins front and back, did it earlier this year.

Started with a good squirt of silicone grease all around top and sides of screen between glass and seal from inside. Lift the seal a little away from glass and squirt.

It then took 10 mins or so of pushing seal out from inside, having it return to its original position, repeating until seal was warm, greased and supple enough to stay out once pushed out.

Once you start disturbing seal and screen, itll move back and forth slightly within the frame further encouraging the grease to spread.

I began top centre for both screens, worked my way round both sides, had a helper lift each screen off bottom lip into a storage crate.

It took over an hour for first screen, far less for rear once my confidence grew.

I began with screwdriver but soon ditched it and went with fingers only. The screwdriver hit the screen a couple of times and scratched the rubber seal a fair bit so I went with fingers. It's much better than screwdriver but your fingers do ache a bit after. 

I cant remember if I took pics, will dig em out and post if I have any.

Thanks Munich1, I gave it another go, but still no joy. My fingers arent what they used to be. I couldnt get the bastard out so headed for the beer fridge and after some thought, bit the bullet and ordered a new gasket from Wallis and Grommit. 

I only wanted to repair the bottom corner. The same one as the pristine example in your photos! 

Just out of interest the official instructions https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/137en/index.htm 51-28 say to use your fingers and a wooden wedge and start at the corner.

Thanks Ivor, no problemo. 

Now for some good news. Its out, without cutting the gasket and it only took 10 minutes, if that! All you need is the right tool

496401228_PukkaTool.thumb.JPG.c7a5da074e9dcfa0454e8790a9c4a8e4.JPG

Sitting in the drivers seat, starting on the right A-piller, prodded the gasket all the way up, around the corner and across the top to the middle. Quickley changed seats, excitement building, and continued from the centre, round the left hand corner and down the A-piller. The secrete is to prod the gasket then hold it in place using fingers of other hand while you prod the next scection. Pushed the screen gently and,

IMG_0427.thumb.JPG.3761d4bfd65bae33ada61e32ceefc137.JPG

Attach suction grips and lift away.

IMG_0429.thumb.JPG.b215722ec7d4c78f3a0c05d99babb918.JPG

Head for beer fridge to celebrate.

It took longer to compose this reply than it did to get the screen out!

2078096851_Prodandtuck.thumb.JPG.dba11cd74af1cb5940a937aef5b1d408.JPG

Edited by JohnH

Rust in the bottom cornerRust.thumb.JPG.6a1a9cedfc231259dc2ce8aef062a03d.JPG

Cars been off the road now for 3-4 years. Just exploring my options. Rear sills, both sides, rust behind front left strut tower, doors and bonnet, oh and around the boot opening. All the usual stuff!