jimbobs1

2006 520d judder

Hi, can anybody help me out with this problem.

I have recently bought this car. Its done 77k and has full service history. I have just had it serviced myself with an oil change all filters changed and oil breather changed.

The problem i am getting is that when im driving along at low revs in 4th gear [the car is manual] at say 30mph i get a strange like hesitation/judder as though its not getting enough fuel. Its fine again when you put your foot down. it also seems that it takes about 1 second to realise that you have put your foot hard on the accelerator then suddenly takes off.

Do you think it maybe a problem with the Maf?

When i had it serviced They did a full check over the car and nothing came up.

Please help.

Cheers

Jeez could be anything man...

i'm still hunting my problem down

So far i have replaced the Maf, camshaft sensor and the glowplugs....now thinking it could be the fuel pump!!

Do you get the judder all the time or is it intermittent? If its intermittent could be the regeneration cycle kicking in.

Certainly on mine below 1k revs there's a definite hesitation, almost like the car responds differently to the accelerator before this - after that point it seems fine.

it seems that it happens in a few gears usually 3rd and 4th mainly.

it seems to happen when i have my foot very lightly on the accelerator and begin th press down heavier, as thought it doesnt like being given extra fuel. but once it does the judder thing for 1-2 seconds and the revs have increased its fine again.

strange......

The three cheapest things you can do to try and fix this are:

(1) try some higher octaine diesel (Vpwer or something similar). see if this makes any difference.

(2) put some diesel additive in a tank of diesel, this imght clean the fuel system and injectors. If things improve, even a little bit, then you know it's the fuel system, if not then you are £10 out of pocket for the diesel additive.

(3) get a software update from BMW costing about £120, this will update all the engine management software and might cure the fault or show it up on the diagnostics. If you were being cheeky, you could always then blame the fault on the BMW sofware upgrade (ever since you guys did this my car in not right). Then BMW will have to fix it because they'll think they caused it.

Let us know what you find and if you cure it.

Jimbobs, a VERY common problem with the older E60's. Ths happened to mine and my Cam Shaft sensor had gone. The symptons you give are ALL typical cam shaft sensor faults.I had mine replaced and the problem was fixed. However, don't leave (as I did) as it gets progressively worse. My car cut out at 70 mph on the motorway!!

Took it to an indy to get the codes read a dthey said that it is not showing any errors and they cant find a problem with it.

The car is having the same problem, as when i am very slowly but steadily accelerating it is kangerooing along as in not smooth, sort of juddering. This behavior seems to stop when the car gets past 2k revs.

Im a bit lost where to go from here as there are no codes showing to say what the problem is.

anyone got any other suggestions??????

i've got the same problem too on my 3L manual.

it only does it once in a while though so i've just learnt to live with it.

would be interesting to know what's causing it though

i've got the same problem too on my 3L manual.

it only does it once in a while though so i've just learnt to live with it.

would be interesting to know what's causing it though

i used to have a similar problem many years back on a pug 405 tdi i had and it turned out to be a fuel return pipe problem.

i am thinking it maybe something to do with the fuel pump but its not showing an error.

i wonder if it's a software issue and maybe that's why it's not registering as a fault.

bmw have updates for all sorts of niggles like this,with a bit of luck it may just need plugging in to a computer

Hi all,

Just to add, my 2007 520d re-acts in the exact same way , generally in 3rd /4th gear when light footing accelleration.

It's very frustrating that a car so refined drives like this .

I though it was the diesel turbo lag but somebody mentioned geting the mas air flow checked.

I love to find a solution. Car is still on warrantly -she was re-generated recently but problems persists.

Hi all,

Just to add, my 2007 520d re-acts in the exact same way , generally in 3rd /4th gear when light footing accelleration.

It's very frustrating that a car so refined drives like this .

I though it was the diesel turbo lag but somebody mentioned geting the mas air flow checked.

I love to find a solution. Car is still on warrantly -she was re-generated recently but problems persists.

Yeah i know what you mean, it seems its a common problem so i think we all might just have to live with it. :(

I'm still getting used to my 530d automatic, but I have noticed a similar problem. When driving at a steady speed, applying a very light amount of throttle causes the engine to stutter quite noticeably. It's all over and done with in the blink of an eye but it's certainly there, and sometimes I can get it to stutter a couple of times in a row. Doesn't do it all the time, and when I do floor it, the thing goes like a train so I can't imagine it's anything too serious.

Bit of a shame because that's the only minor fault I can find with the car. It's only done 27k and under warranty so I could take it to the stealer, but am i wasting my time with that? Is this something I'll just have to live with?

Took my 520D 2007 back to dealer , explained judder problem.

they ran several tests and diagnostics- no fault.

Day 2 dealership guy felt judder in 4th gear at 1600rpm, he decided to test fuel etc and no fault found.

The resolve idenified was the EGR ( exhaust and gases regulator was not regenerating ) and a soot deposit was building up on exhaust microfilter. Filter was cleaned and EGR was reset . Car is driving a good bit better but I am not confident its fully gone.

Thanks for the update Jsdel1

I can pretty much get mine to do it every time by doing the following : Get speed to about 70mph and cruise with foot only lightly on the accelerator to maintain speed, with the mpg needle about a mark or two left of 50mpg. Then, as I gently apply more power, I'll get the judder just as it's starting to pick up, and the mpg needle goes to the right of 50mpg. After that, everything is fine. Revs noticeably drop when I feel the jolt too.

I've haven't really noticed it at other speeds, but since I do a reasonable amount of A roads to work, what I've described is actually quite a frequent experience. I don't know if thats normal or not for this car, or turbo diesels in general. Maybe I'm just being paranoid with a new car, but then again, as it's under warranty, I suppose I could take it back to the stealer just to put my mind at ease if nothing else.

Hi New Here

Think I may have the same problem in my 07 520d m sport.

I've noticed my radio and air con cut's out when you put your foot down and then back off.

Has anyone else experience this and any advice as I've only got a couple of months left on my warranty??

Help the newbie please:)

A soot deposit was building up on exhaust microfilter. This was cleaned and EGR was reset to zero.

Apparently it should be self cleaning but my filter required a clean.

Thats all the info I got from Dealer.

Just got my car back from the stealer, and apparently they have replaced the turbo boost pressure sensor. The technician I took out to demo the problem said he'd fixed a similar issue previously that turned out to be this sensor, and he suspected this was also the problem on my car. I'll see how it goes over the next few days, and report back.