Sign in to follow this  
Skoff

Intermittent remote key problem

Hi All,

I have a 530iA touring MY2001. It has the diamond (sealed) keys. I have 3 keys for it, all of which work as keys, but only one of which has ever worked as a remote. I did try to get the others working, but even after charging the keys and closely following the instructions to code them up, they have never worked as remotes... Not really a problem until last week when the one fully working key started to mis-behave.

Intermittently the key will open / close the car, but more and more often it won't. I am assuming that it's not fuse 53 as it wouldn't work at all if the fuse had blown - though I had a look at it anyway and it looks fine. The same for key coding - if the coding was lost I would have thought the thing wouldn't work at all.

So I am guessing it may well be the battery in the key - it gets used 2 hours at least every day, and has recently done a trip from Somerset to Scotland and back, so I don't think it's a lack of use / charge issue, but maybe it's just at the end of its life?

I have cracked open one of the old keys to look at the battery and it seems simple enough to replace it, but I thought I'd check here first to see if anybody has managed to resolve this issue with a battery replacement?

Is there anything else I can try? Maybe the receiver for the remote central locking? - anybody know where it is?

This seems a farily common issue, but I have yet to see a definitive way of resolving it... It's a bit tiresome opening the door with the key and all the windows dropping every time I want to go for a drive.

Thanks!

Ok, so nobody has a solution for this... But does anybody know if you can stop all the windows going down every time you unlock the car manually? It's fine when it's nice and sunny, but today it was bucketing down, which is a little annoying!

Did you ever fix this problem?

I have recently started having this issue, I wondered if its because I now keep my mobile phone in the same pocket as the key and this is cooking it.

Tried re-syncing the keys? The code changes every time you use the key and eventually it will lost its sync with the car system.

To re-sync:

1. Get into the car, close all the doors.

2. Put the key in the key slot, (which is in position 0) turn to position 1 (when the dashboard will light up). (Note: position 2 is starting the car, you DONT need to start the car).

3. Within 5 seconds, turn the key back to position 0 and pull the key out. Push the unlock button, keep it pressed and push the lock button (BMW emblem) 3 times. All within 5 seconds. The doors will lock and unlock to indicate that its successfully synced.

4. To do extra keys, do the above process within 30 seconds without putting the extra key into the key slot. (push unlock button, keep it pressed and push BMW emblem 3 times).

If you put the extra key in the key slot it will de-sync the first key and start the whole process again.

NB: the window will auto open when you turn the key on the door and keep it turned for a while, if you just unlock the door and quickly turn the key back i dont think it will open the window.

Thanks, I've tried that.

The manual says the alarm should de-activate when you turn the key to position 1.

It doesn't, the alarm goes off and the hazards flash yet I can drive the car like normal (though indicators don't work)

I went to BMW, ordered a couple of new keys but the guy there reckons it needs diagnosing. I've got INPA so i might see if it has some errors in the unit. Its really annoying!!

I wondered if its the temperature, maybe a faulty ignition switch (apparently that is the root of all problems) or an old battery.

Yet it happens right after i've driven it for a while. Its got worse, but then maybe that's cause in my anger I threw the key at the wall...

I'll see what BMW do tomorrow when they try to code the new key to it, in the mean time i'll see what I can see with INPA. Probably not much tbh.

It does tend to attract police attention though!

wooohooo!!

Got it all fixed, I bought a new key from BMW, they did the initialise thing:

Remote Key Re-Initialise - If a key fails to operate remotely, it will have to be re-initialised (all keys in sequence at the same time)

- Get in and “close all doors”

- Turn ignition on & off quickly (no more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds

- First key - hold down button #2 (unlock) while striking button #1 (lock) three times. Release button #2. Confirmed by door lock operation.

- Repeat for second key within 30 seconds of first.

- After last key then cycle the ignition on/off to finalise the process (not necessary to start the engine.

Now I have a brand new working key that, and one that doesn't work, I will open this up at some point and see about swapping battery.

I also got a wallet key for those times when I shut the normal key inside the boot ;)