Sign in to follow this  
upp4itt

Radio not working !

ok guys, reading the posts on here I thought that maybe the reason my radio & display wasn't working was a duff ignition switch.

Well, having changed the switch, still nothing !

Everything else on the car ( E39 SE 520i 2000 reg manual ) seems to be working as it should with no abnormalities, so my question is ; is there an easy way of checking the radio unit itself ? I have removed the unit from the dash, but that appears to be the limit of my electrical expertise !

. . . . . . never thought I'd feel so alone without my radio :(

is it square or round pins on the back?

how many led screens does it have?

i have one in excellent condition for sale from a 99 car just now.

my model has the flat / square pin connection. Tonight, driving the car at night, I have what appears to be lights from the facia & knobs etc so obviously some sort of power is getting to it, but still no sound at all.

Tomorrow gonna check every damn fuse I can get my hands on !

my model has the flat / square pin connection. Tonight, driving the car at night, I have what appears to be lights from the facia & knobs etc so obviously some sort of power is getting to it, but still no sound at all.

Tomorrow gonna check every damn fuse I can get my hands on !

Check the multi plug connector that goes into the amp on the back of the rear seat , tif you have power than this could be the cause !

ok, appreciate all the tricks & tips from all you guys, so I'm back to update.

Having tried just about everything short of a replacement unit I fear the worst. Yup, I'm thinking the radio unit itself is at fault, & after checking prices of 2nd hand units ( wow, are these BMW radios really worth that ?? ) I am very tempted to go for an aftermarket model.

So, has anyone been through this ( oh yes, better mention my connection is the "flat pin" type, seems this puts another nought onto the price ! ) I've seen some stereo facias advertised that claim to sit back in the aperture of the radio/cassette player, anyone tried these ? Also the next obvious question would be, as I have the flat pin connector, anyone know which, if any, adapter would suit ? Not bothered that the steering wheel controls may not work, just need a ruddy radio ! Oh, will an aftermarket unit work with the BMW cd stacker in the boot ?

( upp4itt is currently working on this project )

Many Thanx

Hi upp4itt

Firstly, I see your a new member so welcome to the forum !

Yes, OEM BMW stereo unit's are just silly priced ! I agree with you on that one!

The E39 aftermarket stereo choice is the long running thing ! welcome to the 'compromises' you'll need to make! That said, I think quite a few of us, Including me, are waiting for the Dynavin E39 system to be released. It'll be £650 fitted, and includes a 7 inch High resolutionTouchscreen, GPS, Bluetooth, iPod control, DVD player, Amplifier and steering wheel controls all built into the chassis. Compromise is that it's an unknown Chinese brand, and Sound quality will be better than OEM BMW units but noticeably behind the likes of Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood unit's at the same price.

CD Stacker? time to move on into the 21st century! - Aftermarket unit's won't work with the BMW cd changers as far as I'm aware, if there is something out there, it'll be an expensive interface/connector so you may as well buy an after market matching cd changer.

If the Dynavin doesn't appeal to you, then you'll need to go for either a single DIN top brand unit or a double DIN one with the correct fascia. Please take a look at the Audio section here on the site here, I'm able to supply a fascia which can be converted to a single DIN and/or Double DIN unit if needs be.

Please post up your thoughts of what you'd like and are thinking of over in that more relevant section and myself and more of us will give you feedback as well :)

cheers, Dennis!

ill check if the one i have is flay pins or round if its the right one for you i will be able to do it cheaper than the ones on ebay for sure.

ok, thanx 4 the welcoming Dennis.

Yes I am a "newbie" but, it would seem, with an old & ongoing predicament !

I'm not sure I will be able to justify the expenditure for the magnificent Dynavin E39 system, & I take on board your point about the cd changer. However, I would still be keen to "compromise" & fit an aftermarket stereo/ipod unit, something that will work with my 30Gig (2nd Generation I think). Not being too "audio competent" but fairly diy-ish, I am a tad confused as to the expressions such as "single din & double din" when reading other posts etc.

I am replacing the 2-in-one Becker radio cassette player that has the "flat pin" connection at the rear, complete with a strange looking aerial connector ? so I'll need something that can slot back in, connect via my existing wiring and basically plug & play.

I have read some horror stories regarding what can & can't be acheived, but at the moment I have no sound system whatsoever, so am looking for a resonably straightforward swap-over ( if there is one ) !

Yep, . . . . . . I need some help !

single din is a normal sized after market stereo double din is as the name suggests twice as big so it takes up most of the space left by the OEM stereo

Shame you need a flat pin unit, as I have a round one sat in my garage.

You could buy a new radio to try it, and if that doesn't sure it then flog it back n Ebay.

Another possibility is going to a breaker, and trying a radio in the car on the premise that if it works you'll buy it...

thanx for the offer Dave.

I don't suppose for one minute that if I could get an adapter that would link my flat pin connector to a round pin radio socket that it would work anyway ? ? ? Probably stuff something else up !

Anyone been down this route ?

Hiya upp4itt,

As already explained, the 'Single DIN' units are the traditional sized car hifi units, they're about 6-7cm tall. The double DIN units are the same width and depth (usually!) and are twice the height. This means bigger 5,6,7 inch screens can be fitted and they are excellent for the shift to Visual features like GPS, TV, DVD playback and touchscreens and things like Album Art etc.

Moving on, E39 audio options are quite crazy. The flat Pin radio cassette on ebay ended a little while ago at £300! - £300 for a second hand, 7 year old tape deck! insane! - it's ONLY reason for that price is that it 'looks OEM'.

So up until 2-3 weeks time - so for E39 owners, the last 9+ years at least, you could only go for OEM stuff, or sacrifice the 'looks' and go aftermarket. As not 'very' many went to after market, not much was officially developed by after market companies/brands. Add the Airbox issue to fit a traditional Double DIN and this is a reason why 7+ year old cassette decks/Radio's sell on Ebay for £200-300+ and the Widescreen setup from 9 years ago commands £1000-1500 or so - again second hand - it's just for the looks.

The Dynavin is the first to attempt to put all the latest features into an 80% looking to original unit, in order to try and satisfy both elements of OEM looks with the latest features without having to go aftermarket traditional units which perhaps lost 50-60% of the looks.

I'd say you've got bit of a decision to make, along with many many E39 owners worldwide - to see what the Dynavin turns out to be like, and then make a choice. If not Dynavin, then for a similar or slightly lower price, go for one of the top brand After Markets units from Alpine, Pioneer or Kenwood and the other top brands.

I believe there is indeed a Round Pin to Flat pin conversion block - so if you bag an older much less sought after E39 radio cassette for perhaps £50 you could get that and convert your leads. The downside is that the older unit will be just that, 10+ years old and may just crap out again in 2,3, 6 months!

All good fun this E39 audio choices lark isn't it! ;) be glad when I announce more of what I'm doing for E39's in the near future ;)

Cheers, Dennis!

Bravo Dennis ! Well done ! Loads of info to digest thanx !

I am beginning to believe I have a mountain to climb here !

My feeling right now would be tempted to fit an aftermarket unit that at least gives me sounds !

Something that will play either cd's or have an ipod or usb possibility. Something not too pricey, oh, and easy to fit when I remove the business radio. I have heard horror stories of aftermarket units not being compatible with the steering wheel controls etc. but that isn't a big issue for me.

If I could get hold of a unit that perhaps has an amber colour display maybe that wouldn't look too obtrusive, and sit nicely with the oem switches etc.

I would seriously contemplate a visual display unit of some sort ( further down the line ) as I think that would be awesome, but at the moment I'm still picking myself up off the floor after the reality hit me of the oem prices !

Dennis, . . . . or anyone else out there that has experience in upgrading, I'd be honoured for you to share your experiences with me.

I've had the E39 for about 4 months now & really want to keep it, but it would seem BMW and me are on extremely different salary scales ! !

Before you start the major work,check the fuse in the boot.I have a 2003 530d tourer and when I started the car a couple of weeks ago the radio stopped.No help from my bmw garage,who did not know where the fuse was located,so got the Bentley manual out.Its was located behind the rear o/s panel cover.The fuse is green 30amp which I replaced and the radios fine.Hope this helps.JK

Yes, I did check that one out, pretty much checked every fuse I could find, even if it had no chance of effecting the sound system.

I have power to the radio ( all the amber switch lights etc ) but not an ounce of sound !

I've had the actual unit in & out several times, wiggled all the non-stationary bits & bobs, quietly tapped all the square, oblong, cylindrical & multi-coloured electronic thingumyjigs, . . . and nothing.

You're right possibly in thinking it could be a fuse or dodgy connection somewhere, but without the expertise to determine that, I'm about stuffed.

I do have a basic multi=tester, and if perhaps someone could tell me what readings I should expect from the iso block (wire-loom side) I believe it to be the 40 pin quadlock connector, at least that way I could determine it is the radio unit at fault and not wiring/electricals.

Any ideas guys ?

Do you live near anyone else with an E39? Make frineds, drop round with beer and swap radio's. That will at least confirm if their's works in yours, or yours in their car...

evening all !

the saga continues ! I tracked down a reasonably priced suitable single din facia plate c/w a fitting kit ( consisting of the correct 40 pin quadlock connector & the necessary wiring ) which enables connection to an aftermarket head unit.

OK, thinks me, sorted, but oh no, my beemer still hates me !

All fitted very nicely, facia, quadlock connector, additional connectors to head unit, head unit sitting fairly snugly, . . . . . . powered up, . . . problem #1 : only passenger side speakers ( front & rear ) working. . . . problem #2 : when ignition switched off / and back on, radio loses all stored presets, and has to be turned on again at the head unit !

Now I'm fairly sure this is not an uncommon problem with new fits, and one or more of you will probably have come across similar posts in the past, so I'm hoping you may be able to talk me through it.

The head unit is a FLI 5 swat make, and has single cd, sd slot, & usb port, all of which work fine, so the main problem for me is the fact that I have sound on one side of the car only, and the fact that I have to scan for stations when I fire up the radio again.

I'm hoping someone can post me out of this, and possibly assist any other sufferers out there in musicland !

Your quadlock may need the powers swtching round, do they have butt conectors?

Also is you car STD audio or do you have an amp in the boot?