JAM172

Trackday 5 preparation

Ok, I know it's a bit early but who's started? 172 has not turned a wheel since it was abused for 4 days at the Nurburgring in August, where we broke the engine mounts, pushing the viscous fan into the radiator :shock:

Well tomorrow Sepia (Mark) and I will be:

Changing the engine and gearbox mounts.

Fitting a new Viscous fan, and disconnecting the permantly wired aircon fan :oops:

Changing the oil and filter.

Bleeding and checking the brakes over.

Fitting a modified K&N cone filter (time permitting).

I'll just do some basic checks when I prepare my lunch and flask of herbal tea !

Can someone remind me nearer the day - do you add air to the tyres for track day use, or let some out as they heat up ?

I'll just do some basic checks when I prepare my lunch and flask of herbal tea !

Can someone remind me nearer the day - do you add air to the tyres for track day use, or let some out as they heat up ?

Andy, if it's dry you want to be generally running around 28psi, if it's wet more like 33-35psi, to open the tread pattern a bit. Once the tyres are warm they can go up by 10ish psi over and above what you set them to anyway.

New calipers for the front brakes and an MOT to pass - yellow stuff pads were awesome at Brands and that was with one caliper sticking apparentely.

One day i'd like to change the steering rack for an Z3 one = much quicker than the tanker helm at the mo!

Any other suggestions would be welcome.....................

Bloody hell Ja that list has grown..I thought we were only pumping the tyres up and wiping the windscreen! :lol:

Bloody hell Ja that list has grown..I thought we were only pumping the tyres up and wiping the windscreen! :lol:

:roll: Stupid boy!

Ok, I know it's a bit early but who's started? 172 has not turned a wheel since it was abused for 4 days at the Nurburgring in August, where we broke the engine mounts, pushing the viscous fan into the radiator :shock:

Well tomorrow Sepia (Mark) and I will be:

Changing the engine and gearbox mounts.

Fitting a new Viscous fan, and disconnecting the permantly wired aircon fan :oops:

Changing the oil and filter.

Bleeding and checking the brakes over.

Fitting a modified K&N cone filter (time permitting).

Nice one Mr Sepia, all the above completed, we're ready. :mrgreen:

That was fun and a job well done imo..if not a little cold. Most annoyingly I no longer have woman's hands m'lord (really must start using latex gloves again) :mrgreen:

I need to:

Collect car

Fit horn

Fit side repeaters

Fit new tyres

Pass MOT

Lower seat

Check/replace wishbone bushes

And I think that's it.

Hey Dan, wouldn't it just be easier to trailer it?

Nice to see the graft going in fellas, i look forward to watching you track your arses of at the end of feb!!! I'll bring my camera along and take a load of pics so the forum can see who has the biggest bag of talent and also who has the least fear!

I will do this in the next month:

Change oil

Change brake fluid

Check brake condition

Buy / fit new track tyres

Fit track seats and steering wheel

Looking forward to it :D

Hey Dan, wouldn't it just be easier to trailer it?

If it weren't for the lack of tow car and trailer, yes.

:cry:

Oh, and it also needs tax.

Robzilla tells me you can hire both now at reasonable rates, might be worth sending him a pm :?:

yes your correct mr 172 tridant trailers in maidstone(t.wells has closed down) 4x4 for the weekend £120 trailer about £40 a day, they don't have many 4x4's so wait until i book mine dan!!

whens our next one guys, i love it lets do some more soon.

Well the oil has been changed again (after about 700 miles :roll:) also checked all the brakes / bushings etc. All ok it would seem. My front camshaft seal is leaking into the dizzy cap and was possibly deadening the spark a bit so I will need to look at that shortly but ok for this run out. Also fitted a big bore throttle body and setup the mixture properly and it seems to be running nicely... or at least it did until I changed the brake fluid ? I am not sure what I have done, but now it idles at about 1100 - 1200 rpm grrrr It still drives ok though :roll: I can't find any leaks, maybe I have upset the ICV somehow ?

Need to strip it out and fit the buckets at the weekend, not driving it around with those in for any longer than I need to :?

There is a screw on the throttle body which alters the postion of the throttle plate at idle. With a new TB this might need altering. Also with the new TB the relaxed accelerator peddle might not be closing the plate properly when released, there is an adjustable screw somewhere on the throttle linkage, that might need adjusting.

These are the things that I had to go through when fitting various TB's.

Well, I found out what it was... the wheel and tyre I used for the easibleed had knocked the TPS round ! I adjusted back to where it should be and all is well.

Today I stripped out the interior and stuck the buckets and harnesses too, inbetween the showers !