Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hadleigh007

What’s a fun car for a 2nd vehicle?

21 posts in this topic

I’m hoping to spark a bit of debate and pull on your combined experience of many years of car ownership and driving experience when choosing a second car which will in essence be for fun. My everyday car is a 2001 E39 530D Touring and I love it, had it for 4 years and plan on keeping it forever as it meets my needs perfectly, but I fancy having something fun as a second car problem is I have no clue what to look for. Whether to go for something like a Caterham or Westfield, a lotus elise, or any of the Audi RS Series, or BMW M series, or perhaps a Merc CL 600 or Jag XKR / XJR.

It’ll go on 5,000 mile per year 2nd car insurance so shouldn’t be too bad. Plan on keeping the budget under about £8k, still saving so the purchase won’t be until next year. I imagine many of you may have driven/owned some of these cars and others I haven’t considered so please feel free to just share your thoughts. Oh and it rains a lot where I live which is certainly a consideration for the lotus 7 type cars.

Thanks.

VX 220 - forget the Vauxhall badge - it is better than the equivalent year Elise!

really depends what you plan to do with it - if its for summers evenings gentle cruise, back lane blasting, track days, touring holidays etc etc

I live up north where we've had all the recent flooding, and have the open roads of scotland within an hour from here, so I think summer cruising, going to an enthusiast meet or drive is on the cards for now. I'd also like to be able to take it to croft and have an introdction to track days with it.

VX 220 - forget the Vauxhall badge - it is better than the equivalent year Elise!

Id disagree completely with that unless you throw chassis mods ie hoffmann set up etc into the mix, i would agree that you get a newer VX220 for the money but the equivalent yr Elise is more compromised in its chassis for handling, the VX is a better day to day car but is heavier because of this..

Both great cars however.

e36 M3 ticks a lot of boxes - you might not be far off an e46 M3 at your budget too...

This man took the words right out of my mouth!

My old man has one which he lets me drive if im a good boy, lol. Its absolutely great fun and it does still have a stereo for the longer journeys although thats about it for mod cons. If your quite tall though i would certainly get a test drive first as they aint for lanky people.

VX 220 - forget the Vauxhall badge

Love too...... :lol:

If its a second car for £8k then shop hard and get a TVR Chimera 500. 280 bhp, 1080 kgs, engine at the front, driving wheels at the back, Rover V8 power plant thats tweakable to 400hp or get an LS1 engine upto 550hp! Ignore the obvious pops now coming after this post about reliability, these are pretty sorted provided its been maintained. This car is class, you be noticed everywhere, great fun, essentials only motoring (ABS & traction control are your right foot and not fancy electronics), pretty rare and after 2 years you'll be able to sell for the same money you paid for it! Simples!

Don't have experience of a comparison but for most people the std 2.2 VX220 will be fast enough - the 2.0 turbo is v.very fast :twisted: Remember one mag stating you have to actually pull the car out into the next lane before overtaking as you'd just hit the car in front of you otherwise - bit of a daft comment but I sort of know what they're getting at.

yeah I believe Rowan Atkinson made that costly mistake in his XJ220 on a slipway joining a motorway, put his foot down and shot straight into the car in front of him.

what he said...

he might be mad but he talks sense... oh and get the turbo, ul not regret it, ever. iv been saving for one for a while now.

to be honest I'm a bit suprised nobody has suggested an E39 M5 until now, I love my E39 and would see the M5 as a contendor, I'm wondering if they're just on the heavy side as most the recommended cars are quite light and nimble. I've upgraded my suspension to a Bilstein B12 kit and it's a vast improvement taking out the roll and handling is sharp and responsive but there's no getting round the weight of the car when you throw it into a corner.

i think as a 2nd car for a bit of fun the M5 is a bit on the lardy side, also in my opinion as a play thing i would choose something that has a bit of scope to be played with, where as to do anything on a M5 you are talking mega bucks