robzilla

tyre choice

i have just done a track day at brands last week(19th nov) and i ran with slicks for the first time, they worked really well, but i'm not sure if i need more width at the rear as it did try and get away from me on occaisions, should the tyre size be the same front to back?

Decreasing tyre width at the front should reduce front end grip and promote understeer and redress the oversteer/understeer balance. You can also try slicks on the back and normal tyres on the front as that should have the same effect (if you choose the right tyres).

At the last track day I did there was a Skoda Fabia that ran slicks and he went to hard into a corner. The tyres would not let go and flipped the car. After seeing that be careful Rob!

By fitting treaded tyres at the front you will also stop the above happening so easily.

You could also try a softer compound at the rear than at the front if you want to stick to slicks.

Oversteer/understeer balance can also be altered by spring rates/ARB stiffness. Increase the stiffnes at the rear say and you reduce rear grip and promote over steer. Do the same at the front and promote understeer.

The difference between slicks and normal tyres on track is massive - I ran slicks on the rear and track tyres on the front for a few laps of Brands in the dry, and the amount of understeer it generated was ridiculous. I don't think that's the solution.

Despite what people say, you do still get a progressive breakaway with slicks, so the chances of rolling should be pretty minimal!

I run a square setup on the M3 and don't have any issues, but then I've set it up to work that way.

The slicks do go off over time, so once they get too hot (on mine after about a 40 min stint) they lose grip noticably.

It really depends on when it's happening to you - under braking / going into a corner / through the corner / on the power coming out etc.

But it will either be because they've overheated or because the car isn't setup properly for them.

Well your experience at least confirms that slicks on the rear and normals on the front promotes understeer due to extra grip at the rear.

i run the same size slicks all round,( not sure what size, i'll have a look later) the balance seems really good, i do get the back coming out first but mainly in the wet or damp like it was at bedford, that was a handful until the afternoon.then not too bad on wets, i have changed the front tyres for different profile as they seem too tall, i'll see how it does at the next track day, whenever that will be.