Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pmjt

HELP! Clutch pedal is dropping to the floor!

10 posts in this topic

Sorry to be asking for help with so few posts but....

She's a September 2002 E39 M5, RHD manual (obviously :oops:) with 60k - clutch was replaced by an indie for the PO in June at 56k.

The car has been running a gem - just came back from a 700 mile trip to Yorkshire and she didn't miss a beat.

Went to go out just now - started fine. Went to engage the clutch and the pedal went 'thwack' to the floor - it's being held down by the spring, pull it back up and it comes into place, still held by the spring, but there is no resistance at all.

I've looked under the dash and there is nothing obviously disconnected - strange that it should be fine last night, then suddenly fail today. No obvious puddles of fluid anywhere.

:shock: Help :shock: Any pointers much appreciated. RAC on their way, then onto local stealer - I'd like to have some ideas of what it might be before it gets to them.... :roll:

Thanks in advance for any help. :-)

Philip

poss slave, master or servo..

slave will give puddles of fluid around wheels, master will lead to an internal leakage you won't necessarilly see, and you can usually check the servo (assuming vac assisted? ) by pressing the brake pedal with the car off.. if its fairly solid then but sinks completely to the floor as you turn the car on then its potentially leaking in the servo.. its usual for there to be a small amoutn of pedal drop when you turn the engine on, but only the same as your normal pedal movement when braking

..sure the RAC will point you in the right direction. good luck!

FYI,

slave will give a puddle under gbox/engine central position, I think last post is refering to a brake pedal failure and not clutch!!

Thanks for the idea - no puddles anywhere :shock:

RAC man went digging in the peddle box and found a sheared bolt! Looks like the pin that connects to the side of the clutch pedal had sheared off :cry:

Anyway, he towed me to the local garage in the village and I'm going to the stealer in the morning to pick up what I hope are the right parts:

35311165842 - clutch arm

35311161721 - pin

I'm really hoping that's it as looking at RealOEM there's no part that looks anything like the one that's sheared :roll:

Philip

Another update - went to the local stealer at exactly 08:28 this morning and was first into the parts queue :lol:

New clutch pedal ordered at 5:10pm last night, arrived this morning :-) AND.... the lug is actually 'welded' onto the pedal arm!

Taken it to the local indie and hoping they get chance to fit it today..... finger's crossed

Philip

Right, that's that mystery solved! :roll:

Here's what the E39 M5 clutch pedal *should* look like:

P1000393.jpg

P1000394.jpg

.....and here's what mine looked like:

P1000395.jpg

This had sheared completely off:

P1000396.jpg

Hey ho, £22 part and a couple of hours at the local garage (good guys) and she's driving better than before :lol:

Thank heaven it wasn't anything mechanical / hydraulic :shock:

Philip

Right, that's that mystery solved! :roll:

Here's what the E39 M5 clutch pedal *should* look like:

P1000393.jpg

P1000394.jpg

.....and here's what mine looked like:

P1000395.jpg

This had sheared completely off:

P1000396.jpg

Hey ho, £22 part and a couple of hours at the local garage (good guys) and she's driving better than before :lol:

Thank heaven it wasn't anything mechanical / hydraulic :shock:

Philip

I was slow to respond, glad you got it sorted, exactly same thing happened to my M5.

I was slow to respond, glad you got it sorted, exactly same thing happened to my M5.

Wow :shock: Is this something to do with a certain batch of parts??? :shock:?

Mine was manufactured early September 2002 and registered at the end of the same month - when was your's made?

Nice to hear mine isn't the only one 8) Have to say, with the new pedal the clutch and gear changes are a load smoother!

Philip