KingM535i

E28 M535i brake upgrade. Anyone done this before?

I dont suppose you have got any pics of the brake upgrade have you?? just out of interest as to how the look on the car cheers Jonesy

I am pretty sure that Splondike and Andyb both posted Pics of there upgrades some time back, Pm Splondike, I am sure he will send you some pics.

Basically the cars are old in their design and a handful in what ever guise you have, that's part of the attraction for me. :P

Same here. Perhaps something modern car designers could learn from? Going on a slight tangent here, I recommend trying a Caterham. I did. I couldn't decide whether to laugh maniacally or wet myself. I settled for a bit of both. Absolutely fantastic.

Just found some 540i E34 Brakes for sale. Do you need the brake master cylinder and servo aswell or just the calipers, carriers and discs?

This is for e28 520i brake upgrade,

Cheers

Hello. I haven't posted on this one for ages. Reason being, I've just had to leave my previous job due to injury and I'm now trying to find a new career with no heavy lifting! The car will be on hold for now, but I promise this thread will be finished as soon as the car is. I have Whiteline ARBs waiting, someone who can weld on standby (see an old thread about Whiteline ARBs) and just need the income to justify Spax PSX shocks/springs and Lenso BSX 16" wheels and then we'll see what this cars about.

If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing right.

i have e34 3.6 M5 kit - 'only' single caliper but i have never had them fade on track even with standard pads.

I agree with you. They fit straight on with no problems & you can still use 16" wheels!

I ran these brakes with the e28 metric wheels for a while!!

Just found the breaks from an e34 540 , rear and front.

Is it worth to buy them? Not using the car on tracks, but need to change the rotors and pads soon, so was thinking is it worth to buy this from 540? i know I'll need to change the calipers too.

So, is it worth to buy 540i e34 brakes instead of stock e28 535i ?

Just found the breaks from an e34 540 , rear and front.

Is it worth to buy them? Not using the car on tracks, but need to change the rotors and pads soon, so was thinking is it worth to buy this from 540? i know I'll need to change the calipers too.

So, is it worth to buy 540i e34 brakes instead of stock e28 535i ?

most definetley

I may have a set of front callipers and carriers from my E28 which were the old first oversize front brakes. They are from an E32 730 from memory, you would need new discs. 

My current setup also needs finishing off as the rear is upgraded further than the front! the fronts are E34 3.6 M5, the rears are as i understand it the biggest E34 3.8 M5 nurburgring, huge and vented, will never need bigger, would like to find an appropriate front brake, i suppose ideally the 850 front or again the E34 3.8 M5 large option. 

Sounds like massive overkill to me, tbh. Unless you're racing, of course.

They're not exactly lightweight, and unsprung weight is baaaaaaaaad.

Dont disagree regarding the fronts, the callipers are monsters, although the discs do have an alloy bell. I Think some of the 850s got alloy fronts, Brembos?

The rear setup is just fine, the discs aren't outrageously heavy, the callipers are only heavier than the standard one by a little.

The car is a very light two seat road going hillclimb/sprint/race/trackday car. Not used for a while but worked very very hard when it is!

I also went for E34 M5 brakes to replace the rubbish on my car after driving for about 100 miles since buying it.

Got new brass guides for the calipers, pagid discs, EBC yellowstuff pads, braided lines & E32 master cylinder. 

Cost me about £500 in total.

Edited by ROOTS.