dubmonkey

Should I buy.... 540 content

Hello

I went to view a 540 last night which had a few problems. It's a 97 with 144K, a manual SE with factory Mtech suspension and factory sport seats, shadow line and phone. It's had Sport bumpers fitted at some point but the front doesn't have the under trays and the back has a tow bar cut out with in fill but this car has no tow bar :?

The list of issues would normally make me walk away but the colour combo is sooooo good and I'm not sure I'd find another. It's Fjord Grey with Saddle Tan Sport leather.

Mechanical:

PAS cooler by passed

knock from steering on full lock - suspect broken wing liner fouling wheel

dash display - common issue I know

Random vacuum hose plugged with bolt!

Stupid after market quad exit exhaust - too loud, couldn't live with it.

Bodywork:

front and back bumpers need work + paint

bootlid switch doesn't work + rusty

minor rust bubbling on the sills

I reckon I could get it for 2800. I know i'd probably have to throw £1000 at it to get it up to scratch, is the colour combo worth that or are their loads of them out there with that leather???

Monkey

Well, considering I paid that only last month for a 97 540i Touring Manual on similar milage with sports seats and a FSH, I'd say walk away and keep looking.

Any 540i you buy at this age and milage will probably need £1000 throwing at it to get it up to scratch. Just make sure that £1000 is thrown at tyres, brakes, shocks etc rather than needing to be thrown at engine repairs, pas repairs and vacuum line troubleshooting.

Thanks for the replies guys

I know it's the wrong car, I still love the colour combo though so that was swaying me but looking at the market it's overpriced. I found a 535 genuine sport on an 02 with less miles, nav and a sunroof for £3800, just the wrong colour.

Not pressed to get a new car though so will keep looking

Cheers

Monkey

Way over priced. Walk away from any signs of poor maintenance because there will be a load more things not yet evident.

Only 3 things really matter on a 540:

History

History

History

Good luck in your search.

I know it's the wrong car, I still love the colour combo though so that was swaying me but looking at the market it's overpriced. I found a 535 genuine sport on an 02 with less miles, nav and a sunroof for £3800, just the wrong colour.

Cheers

Monkey

I'd be interested in the details of that one then!

J

Cheers

Monkey

I'd be interested in the details of that one then!

J

Looks like it's gone now but was live yesterday :(