john h

'98 540i pictures

Hi

I realised that I never got round to posting pictures of my e39, which I've had over a year now. So here goes:

080309021-1.jpg

080309022-1.jpg

080309023-1.jpg

The only mods so far are LPG, towbar, HID lights and the tailgate chrome strip.

Apart from normal service items, I have done:

Had the Prinz LPG fitted

Bodywork (resprayed tailgate - two rust spots - and scratched driver's sill area)

Replaced ATF & filters

Resprayed wheels

Replaced rocker-cover gaskets

Replaced front lower suspension arm bushes

Replaced fan belt (it broke down... the humiliation!)

Wheel alignment

Replaced ignition switch

Had aircon recharged

Made a neater arrangement for towbar electrics

Cheers

John

Clean looking motor :D

Mine has a small rust spot on the bootlid that's starting to concern me. It's at the top of the number plate area, what sort of cost did you pay to get yours sorted?

That is the dead ringer for mine, bar a few little things. Artic silver I presume?

Dare I ask how much the lpg conversion was? I fitted a single point system to my previous e30 318is, so I am contemplating doing at least the back end of it on the 540i. The wiring headache is my biggest concern I guess.

How have you found the LPG, any noticable bad traits, I found I lost a small amount of performance with the single point, but it is a fairly rudimentary way of doing things.

Clean looking motor :D

Mine has a small rust spot on the bootlid that's starting to concern me. It's at the top of the number plate area, what sort of cost did you pay to get yours sorted?

Mine had rust spots immediately above the plastic peice that covers the number plate light. We painted the whole tailgate because there was also some flaky bits under the corners of the opening taligate window.

It was a DIY job. The paint was about £30 I think and I bought a new 540i badge because the old one was a bit bent.

Apart from that it was just my time to strip down the tailgate, prep it and my helpful mate with the compressor waved the spray gun around in exchange for beer and curry! Then, after flatting and buffing I built it back up. I guess it took about 10 - 15 hours total, but professionals would be much quicker.

Cheers

John

That is the dead ringer for mine, bar a few little things. Artic silver I presume?

Dare I ask how much the lpg conversion was? I fitted a single point system to my previous e30 318is, so I am contemplating doing at least the back end of it on the 540i. The wiring headache is my biggest concern I guess.

How have you found the LPG, any noticable bad traits, I found I lost a small amount of performance with the single point, but it is a fairly rudimentary way of doing things.

Jon,

Actually, it's green; I don't know the name of the colour.

I had the full LPG kit installed professionally; it was £2000 all in. I popped in a few times while it was being done and seeing all the compenents involved, and the fitting challenges (under-bonnet space was tight) I'm very glad I didn't attempt it myself! If you're a mechanic, by all means have a go, but I think this would be a mighty tough gig even for a very experienced DIYer.

If you do the back-end yourself, bear in mind that if you have self-levelling suspension, the air pump needs to be moved and new brackets made up. I can send photos if you want.

There's no noticable difference in performance on LPG. On the autobahn last summer, there was too much traffic to test the 155 speed limiter, but it was still accelerating at 145mph on gas.

Only two problems:

The LPG gauge is stuck (always says three-quarters full). They're happy to fix it for me, but to be honest I've got used to measuring gas by using the trip meter so it doesn't bother me. I'll get it done some time though.

I fitted HID lights, and I mounted the power pack thing (I forget the correct name) too close to the LPG ECU, and the latter got fried! They replaced it for me under warranty, even though the damage was self-inflicted. Needless to say, I was impressed with the service, and since then we have had my partner's car converted by them as well. No problems with that one.

Cheers

John

I've done a couple of detail improvements:

Ahead of some Autobahn driving in August, I decided to fit new discs and pads, front and rear. The calipers work fine, but looked horribly rusty before, so I freshened them up to improve the view through my shiny wheels! I also renewed the handbrake shoes and freed off all the moving parts inside the drums.

090601002.jpg

090601003.jpg

Fitted later type chrome grills

090601001.jpg

Cheers

John