m535man

Feeler - Forum trip to the Nurburgring

I have heard great things about the 75 experience. You need to do it with a mate ideally as there is a lot of track time with 2 students in the car. I would be happy to do it with somebody off here. The Alfas are stripped and tweaked.

To answer Dan; a 120i, Golf GTi & Scirroco are all about €500.

I am aware of the risks of wrecking a rental car but lots of the organisations will let you insure against it.

TBH, Whichever way you look at it, the Ring is the riskiest and most expensive 'track day' that you will ever do. The risk is high but then so is the reward.

i'm with you duncan, it's more fun in your own car, plus if ever there's a place where it's not a good idea to start driving a lhd car for the first time, then surely the ring is it!

Hear what you all say but the thing is i've spent so long 'building' my e28 that i'd have to take it to earn that sticker!

Thats what i was thinking for the iS :oops:

Would love to go again but in my car this time? but its not going to be this year :( I still need to sort out the whole suspension system on the Sport 1st!! maybe ext year?? :wink:

1. M535man (gordon)

2. Hutch

3. duncan-uk (interested in principle but unable to commit ATM)

4. Spice Boy (Craig) depending on dates etc of course )

5. Conan (What They said)

6. Estoril-5 (would prefer being a passenger - would pay my own way naturally towards petrol etc)

7. Kendo (only if September, at Bloodstock in August and would have spent all my pennies)

8. dan101smith (the later the better)

9. Andy (Gordon's brother)

10. Retset (only if late September and I can have a share in a "syndicate" 5er - not taking VX!)

11. Bm0p700f (interest in principle again I cannot commit ATM but summer dates are out of the question late 2009/2010 is possible during school holidays. I know Conan would appreciate that).

12. Rob 530i

Right guys I am very interested, the trip I am trying to organise is the weekend of the 19th and 20th. My last trip in the M5 using the ferry to and from Dunkirque and driving 15 laps on a 15 lap ticket and the hotel sharing a room with 200 Euros spending money cost me over £800.

15 lap ticket is 257 Euros

Hotel Room at the Tiergarten (above the Pistenklause) is 104 Euros per room, per night for a double and 80 Euros per room, per night for a single room

Fuel is about 1,25 Euros a litre at the 'Ring and similar on the journey down. Typical e39 will cost £80 to fill up in Europe per go.

One thing to consider is that you will get charged for damage to the armco, recovery, track spillages, closure and loss of earnings to Nurburgring GmbH if you crash. You do not need to have a really powerful car to be quick round there at all. A little 4 pot can be quicker than something with 500 bhp. There were a couple of laps where i was passed by Mk2 Golfs and couldn't catch them, and I was lapping under 9 minutes. If you get ovetaken by someone in a little underpowered car then they wil know the tracl and will be quick, so don't get the red mist and try and overtake them again because it will end in tears!

1. M535man (gordon)

2. Hutch

3. duncan-uk (interested in principle but unable to commit ATM)

4. Spice Boy (Craig) depending on dates etc of course )

5. Conan (What They said)

6. Estoril-5 (would prefer being a passenger - would pay my own way naturally towards petrol etc)

7. Kendo (only if September, at Bloodstock in August and would have spent all my pennies)

8. dan101smith (the later the better)

9. Andy (Gordon's brother)

10. Retset (only if late September and I can have a share in a "syndicate" 5er - not taking VX!)

11. Bm0p700f (interest in principle again I cannot commit ATM but summer dates are out of the question late 2009/2010 is possible during school holidays. I know Conan would appreciate that).

12. Rob 530i

13. zarnd

As much as I fancy this, the idea of driving my car there and back doesn't really appeal anymore.

That and the fact that 10 laps are going to cost the same as doing 4/5 UK trackdays :shock:

Trailer it would be my suggestion. I don't like the journey there or back anymore as i have done it so many times now it is just very boring :roll:

As much as I fancy this, the idea of driving my car there and back doesn't really appeal anymore.

That and the fact that 10 laps are going to cost the same as doing 4/5 UK trackdays :shock:

Trailer it would be my suggestion. I don't like the journey there or back anymore as i have done it so many times now it is just very boring :roll:

Problem there is that means fitting a towbar to the 5er, getting a trailer, even more fuel than driving the M3...

Yeah, maybe.

blimey zarnd, how did you manage to sepnd £800 in a weekend! :shock::D

Just out of interest, how many laps do you get to a tank at that sort of speed?

@dan - yes it's an expensive business, probably twice as expensive as doing a day at a UK track - but by god it's worth it! :D

Problem there is that means fitting a towbar to the 5er, getting a trailer, even more fuel than driving the M3...

Yeah, maybe.

You'd probably be surprised how frugal it would be to tow it. For the cheapest option, drive it over on normal road wheels and tyres with your track ones strapped down in the back of the car and change when you are out there

cheers

blimey zarnd, how did you manage to sepnd £800 in a weekend! :shock::D

Just out of interest, how many laps do you get to a tank at that sort of speed?

@dan - yes it's an expensive business, probably twice as expensive as doing a day at a UK track - but by god it's worth it! :D

Quite easily to be honest. 4 tanks of fuel for the entire trip. Probably 6/7 laps to a full tank depending on the number of passengers. My last trip last year cost me £2,000 with a visit to Kelleners for some suspension. Not a cheap game this Nurburgring malarky!

When i first went it probably cost me about £300 for the whole weekend which wasn't too bad to be honest, but the more you get into it, inevitably the more it costs in the long run!

cheers

When i first went it probably cost me about £300 for the whole weekend which wasn't too bad to be honest, but the more you get into it, inevitably the more it costs in the long run!

cheers

phew, I'm glad you said that - thought i was doing something wrong getting out and back for about £350 the last couple of times :D

As i'm on a pretty tight budget, I generally try and stay for just one night, and don't normally do more than 8 laps (and usually go 2 or 3 up to share the petrol costs!) I find that pretty satisfactory, but if I had a car like yours, i think i'd have a jahreskarten! :D

You'd probably be surprised how frugal it would be to tow it. For the cheapest option, drive it over on normal road wheels and tyres with your track ones strapped down in the back of the car and change when you are out there

cheers

Hmmm, not all that frugal to be fair - I doubt I'd see more than 20mpg towing it.

I'm not against spending the money, I just think I'd get better value out of some UK days.

And for that reason, I'm oot

^^ agreed Ret, my thoughts entirely. I wouldn't be treating it like a UK track day as it think its something different to experience. It would be for the road trip, the 'ring, the atmosphere, the beer etc.

Exactly! I think Zarnd's dates would work well. As you can see from the datespost-273-13074208545804_thumb.jpg there are plenty of hours available all weekend. Out 18th, Ring 19th/20th, back 21st would be ideal.

Shall we firm up those dates into an 'official' BMW5 event?

I am not taking the VX but will buy/borrow/rent/syndicate/steal something.