m535man

Feeler - Forum trip to the Nurburgring

Just a feeler to see if there would be any interest in putting together a little BMW 5 forum Nurburgring trip later this summer.

For anyone who hasn't been, it's a real petrolhead heaven, and just savoring the atmosphere and smelling the brake dust is worth the trip. There's nowhere else in the world where you can get a driving experience like this, it's the most challenging circuit going, you'll be up against the fastest road cars around, and all set in the beautiful Eifel Mountains.

Warning - when you've been once, you will not want to stop there!

To give you an idea of what would be involved before you come to a decision:

return ferry or eurotunnel tickets c. £60

Lots and lots of petrol, getting there and back (285 miles from calais).

Accomodation at the 'ring about £40/night based on two sharing a room.

food and drink is reasonably priced.

Laps last year were approximately £10-15 per lap depending on how many you buy.

So in other words two people sharing a car/ hotel, doing ten laps each and staying for two nights would cost c. £700 (£350/head)

One person staying one night doing 8 laps and not sharing petrol costs would still end up being around £350 - so you basically get more for your money if you double up.

I think a weekend trip towards late summer (late August , early September) would suit best, and probably no more than about 10 cars, as it's difficult to find lots of accomodation in one place on a weekend out there.

If your interested in finding out more - add your name to the list below, and if we get more than 3 or 4 cars I'll start looking into it in more detail.

1) M535man (gordon)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

no need to commit - just gauging interest before deciding if we need to look into costs more thoroughly :D

1. M535man (gordon)

2. Hutch

3. duncan-uk (interested in principle but unable to commit ATM)

4. Spice Boy (Craig) depending on dates etc of course :))

1. M535man (gordon)

2. Hutch

4. Spice Boy (Craig) depending on dates etc of course :))

5. Conan (What They said)

1. M535man (gordon)

2. Hutch

4. Spice Boy (Craig) depending on dates etc of course )

6. Estoril-5 (would prefer being a passenger - would pay my own way naturally towards petrol etc)

1. M535man (gordon)

2. Hutch

6. Estoril-5 (would prefer being a passenger - would pay my own way naturally towards petrol etc)

7. Kendo (only if September, at Bloodstock in August and would have spent all my penies)

1. M535man (gordon)

2. Hutch

7. Kendo (only if September, at Bloodstock in August and would have spent all my penies)

8. dan101smith (the later the better)

the best weekend in September appears to be the 19th / 20th, where the nordschleife track is open to the public from 1pm-7:30pm on the saturday, plus 8am - 6pm on the sunday.

There is also the renault world series happening on the GP track on the saturday morning, plus a very rare chance to walk the Nordschleife on the saturday evening.

All the other weekends in september have events happening on the nordschleife during the saturday morning and afternoon, so no touristenfahrten (pleasure drives)then - cutting down on available lapping time.

The Nurburgring website has a list of opening times for TF sessions here - any other suggestions as to dates welcome

1. M535man (gordon)

2. Hutch

9. Andy (Gordon's brother)

1. M535man (gordon)

2. Hutch

7. Kendo (only if September, at Bloodstock in August and would have spent all my pennies)

10. Retset (only if late September and I can have a share in a "syndicate" 5er - not taking VX!)

Can't make me .. na na na etc :lol: Seen too many trashed things there .. all in the one day and 8 laps we did! 1 metre of grass to the barriers. Just getting the VX the way I want it!

I drove the 540i pretty hard and was mentally prepared to lose it, pay for the barriers and fly home. We would have been talking a £4-£5K total loss. This time I would like the risk to be less, not more! Incidentally, even a Caterham hitting the barrier cost €1200 just to the Ring management :o

I have started a thread on a "syndicate car" for those interested. Ideally split a £1500 car 3 ways. Still a risk of about £3K to the one who puts it into the barrier though!

Alternatively, I would buy the car myself and sell it on my return in preference to taking the VX.

1. M535man (gordon)

2. Hutch

7. Kendo (only if September, at Bloodstock in August and would have spent all my pennies)

10. Retset (only if late September and I can have a share in a "syndicate" 5er - not taking VX!)

11. Bm0p700f (interest in principle again I cannot commit ATM but summer dates are out of the question late 2009/2010 is possible during school holidays. I know Conan would appreciate that).

well it looks like there's enough initial interest to make this worth looking into properly :D

So I suppose the first thing will be to try and narrow down a date...

So far the consensus seems to be late Summer / Autumn. I've no idea when the school holidays are - could one of our learned educational members let us know? It's worth noting that the later you go, the less the track is open, and the worse the weather tends to be.

Also - is the weekend better for everybody? I know some of us work funny shifts - I ask because occasionally the track is open all day on a Monday, which is brilliant because it's dead quiet, so that may be an option if there are loads of people available on weekdays?

We don't need to commit at this point, but due to the fact that you have to book ferries, hotels etc, it is best to be all booked up by about 6 weeks before to get the best prices.

Schools go back a few days into September.

Just found out I probably have a course in October & November so the last 3 weeks of Sept work best for me.

Just looked at this page. If we went for 19/20 Sept then we could do any or all of:

1) Use the track 1330-1930 on Saturday

2) Do the track walk 1930-2100 Saturday: Looks very informative & translated below.

3) Use the track on Sunday 0800-1930

Track walk:

Experience the fascination North Loop from a totally new perspective.

Join the experts at a Trackwalk, where you can walk the fastest, slowest and steepest sections are (in support of a minibus).

Experienced riders and instructors demonstrate and explain to you:

- The secrets and aspects of various sections

- The differences in normal tourist traffic and a Trackday

- Best driving at very many vehicles on the route

- Safety requirements in addition to the route

- Motorcycles against cars

- Maximum speed

- And how to behave during an accident.

The aim is to illustrate to you on the spot about how and where people with safer and more reserves can drive faster.

WHEN:

Saturdays and Sundays after the tourist traffic. The exact dates can be found here.

TIME:

From 19:30 until around 21:00 clock clock

WHAT:

- Learn about the historical background and development

the northern loop, the amount of points and low points in the Renngeschichte.

- By minibus will bring you to the various sections Threats

- Instructors will explain to you while driving the different options

in the Ideal-, race-and rain-Line

- Feel the height differences and learn which affected

this is due to the sections such as Aremberg and have Klostertal

can.

- Discover the different rubbers on the north loop and how

them on the line may have an effect.

COSTS:

49,00 Euro per person

BOOKING:

must have gone up a lot since last year when i hit the barriers then - it was 250 euros a section then :cry:

They charge per metre but you have to replace a section, each of which is 5 metres long. There are 3 sections on top of each other so a small tap can take out 10m worth :o

My mate's Caterham crash was a €1200 bill to the Ring management for repair and recovery.

If I do not have a car by then, I am seriously considering

Would you really want to do it in a wheezy four-banger though?

What are the other things available for 500+ euros

must have gone up a lot since last year when i hit the barriers then - it was 250 euros a section then :cry:

It's come down then because it was the year before last when I was there and it was 500 euros then........so it's a bargain now eh LOL!!

Bryan

the problem with comparing a rented track car vs. your dirt cheap track slag is that if you crash it, you don't have to repair your own car - but you do have to repair a rented one - and the bill could be £££££££££££££££££'s :shock: