Conan

What are the priorities of a great Track Car?

^^^ You cheeky bugger! Im not gonna sell them to you now :P:mrgreen:

Black with Sparco 4 point harnesses

Will they fit and are you interested?

Yes they should and maybe

Been reading this thread with interest (as it will be my first driving track day too)...

...Will change fluid, got new standard pads only a month ago and the car's barely been used so...Unless they need changing? :?:

Tyres...cheapo ones, but not too fussed, will finish these then spend £'s on new decent ones... :D

Sorry for jacking your thread Matt...!

i know i kind of missed the start of the thread and now its getting into details, but i stand by the most important thing on a great track car is something that you have fun driving!.. I've been lucky enough to drive all sorts of things on track over the years (some of which i've owned myself! ) including ex bttc e30's, e36 m3 race cars, an alms e46 m3, andy bell's e90 bttc car, and an e39 m5.. in addition i've driven various porsches, lightweights, and cheapo hot hatches!..

overall while the race cars, and fast road cars are amazing and really concentrate your mind, the lightweights make you feel a little exposed and scared on a mixed trackday, and the porsches thrill you like nothing else ever can (ok i'm bias..)

the best track cars i've driven though are ones which cost next to nothing! I had a 205 1.6 gti which basically had a full harness, lowered suspension and 1.9 gti wheels. I also put some tape over the headlights and emptied the boot, but otherwise it was as driven day-to-day by me at the time.. it cost me about £1000 and i drove it on the limit all day long at every track day i went to; i was probably the slowest thing on track, but i guarantee i did more laps than anyone else, and had a grin for days afterwards!..

the key to trackdays is to be comfortable and have fun; the value of my old 911 got to the point where i couldn't drive it on track anymore as i was scared to death of pranging it, at which point it was sold and will be replaced with a cheaper track toy hopefully next year once i've sorted moving house

at the end of the day its about enjoying yourself, not about being the fastest (and Im not saying that because Im horrendously slow ;) )

getting into a rhythm with a track and flowing from corner to corner is what its all about for me. i did a weekend at spa with the porsche guys last year and the best bit of the whole weekend was the last session when no one else appeared to be on track and we just drove around in formation, taking it in turns to lead, having a laugh and trying out each others lines.. learnt so much about the track in the space of that 40mins :)

e30's respond well, to even a cheap suspension kit like jamez shokzzz and springs bout 35mm lower, some 325i anti roll bars front and back, good set of tyres and standard discs and uprated pads of the front - ow and braided hoses, make it 325i brakes up front if you can (vented). this is basically what i have done to my e30 316i lux 2 dr, bar the uprated pads, and i've never driven a car that handles soo well. i would like the e36 rack though that is a good idea. even though mine is a 316i i still reckon it could do with an lsd, she is quite tail happy and on hairpins i do struggle getting the power down sometimes. hope this is of help cheers Jonesy

All this talk of track cars is making me want to sell my Renault more and more, and buy a track car....

Hhhhhhm :?