BMW 5 Series Owners Board uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Thank you for visiting bmw5. If you'd like to show your support for the forum, please consider becoming a Gold Member

Photo
- - - - -

The sport is not for turning.....A tale of love reborn

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 glen72

glen72
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:55 PM

Hi boys
As you may or may not be aware I have had my 1995 facelift Avus Sport for sale for a while (to part fund an M5)

The car has (not) been sold today. Very nice chap (Gavin, if you do find the site, hello) came with the view to buy/steal off me for under £1000,however.....................

I got in the car this morning for one last little drive but idle wouldn't settle,this caused the car to cut out on me several times. To try and explain, the engine was giving a whoosh sound as the idle fluctuated ?

I Tried to drive but the minute I came up to any junction the revs would drop and the car would die. This has never happened before in my year of ownership.

So I phone my BMW mech friend, he pops to have a look and diagnosed, the diaphragm has more than likely split and that one of the breather pipes has also split. Upshot being the car will not hold any sort of rpm and there is no way it is going anywhere.

The chap was very gracious. He had got a train from home (2 hours odd) and obviously was going home on the train and not in his new Sport. What was very refreshing was how much he eulogised about the car. He like us is a BMW fan, liking the 5/7's in particular. He Couldn't believe he was going to be buying it for so little money, and what a total shame that the problem had occurred. He kept telling me I should keep (once fully running of course) and spend a few hundred getting 110% :wink:

I said to him that my personality is such that I will either mug-away, or spend £???? making it the mutsnuts. So at the moment once I find out what needs doing re the idle I think it's the muttsnutts route...............
I just think my Avus baby wanted to stay with me, knowing the love I will spend on her, it's getting weird now, so I will end :wink:
Pushbike.....
Duffman says Oh Yeah!

Going BMW 5 free for ..... a while :(

#2 g164rge

g164rge
  • LocationAberdeenshire
  • Current Car:E34 540i Manual, C5 RS6 Avant, E30 2.8T

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

Dodgy dealings Glen, tut tut, glad your concence got the better of you :lol: ;)
Posted Image

E34 540 Manual.
Audi RS6 C5 Avant.
E30 328i Touring T(M50)

#3 mazza

mazza

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:59 PM

Hi Glen,

My thought is that you sport does not want to leave you!! Its become so attached I suppose, maybe you should start calling it herbie!

I would not let it go for £1000, if you have the space then keep it and fix it, it will be worth a lot more in a few years i think.

E39 M5 Le Mans Blue
Gone: E39 525d Sport Avus Edition, E34 520i, E34 525i Sport Avus, E34 540i, E36 328i ,E30 318is

#4 glen72

glen72
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:10 PM

[Sorry x1
Pushbike.....
Duffman says Oh Yeah!

#5 Phantom_Mark

Phantom_Mark
  • LocationSleaford - Lincolnshire
    Simbin AB

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:57 PM

Smells like the idle control valve problem to me if it helps, good luck
Power is nothing without control........
Posted Image
2009 HSV R8 GTS

Gone but not forgotten....

1991 525i Sport
2001 Tuned E46 320d -Sold
2005 530d M-Sport

#6 glen72

glen72
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:01 AM

Hi Mark
I think so too. It's getting replaced later today+2 hoses that look like their about to die :wink:
Pushbike.....
Duffman says Oh Yeah!

#7 shaidmahmood

shaidmahmood
  • Locationbirmingham

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:37 AM

d, at long last and get a lovely mop/valet to the greatest BMW colour in the world, and that is a fact 8) .

Hi Glen,

I'm glad that your keeping the car and not letting it go for peanuts, i've had a couple of calls for mine but i didnt even let them see the car as they asked 'whats you last price' which told me straight away they arent looking for a sport but just a cheap car... anyway just a short reminder that Anus blue is not the greatest BMW colour in the world, let's all be sensible about this :lol: it's looks nice but isn't the greatest and your motor looks lovely... :P
1996 Subaru Legacy GTB Twin Turbo Manual.... used to have a 5, will get another some day....

#8 glen72

glen72
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:45 AM

Sorryx2
Pushbike.....
Duffman says Oh Yeah!

#9 The Flying Banana

The Flying Banana

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:16 AM

I see you have have had a change of heart and put it on pistonheads again,

#10 glen72

glen72
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

I see you have have had a change of heart and put it on pistonheads again,

Not totally true. It never came off PH (not once) it's free so what's the harm ?
I would only be interested in a trade for another E34 Sport-manual/M5 with wedge. So rest assured I will be owning it for many months to come :wink:
List of jobs are as follows: Silver/grey full leather OR M5 interior. De badge M on boot. Full mop and maybe a bit of paint, but Iwill see. Original exhaust back on with new Sport bumper. Maybe gen deepdish Stars. That's it for now. I would imagine I will not see to much change out of £1000, so that will do for starters :wink:
Pushbike.....
Duffman says Oh Yeah!

#11 glen72

glen72
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:28 AM

Sorryx3
Pushbike.....
Duffman says Oh Yeah!

#12 g164rge

g164rge
  • LocationAberdeenshire
  • Current Car:E34 540i Manual, C5 RS6 Avant, E30 2.8T

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

I'm with the mods on this one, theres nothing worse reading a thread when you find quote upon quote upon quote, especially when theres pictures also.

You could mark it for attention of the person posting...ie

Glen...

Stop quoting everything

:lol:
Posted Image

E34 540 Manual.
Audi RS6 C5 Avant.
E30 328i Touring T(M50)

#13 donut

donut
  • LocationWiltshire
  • Current Car:E60 545 & E39 525 Touring

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

Its because there's no need to re-quote the post directly above the one you're replying to! You're reading the same text twice, it uses bandwidth (albeit tiny). If the post you're replying to is several back or on another page no problem...

#14 shaidmahmood

shaidmahmood
  • Locationbirmingham

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:12 PM

glen have you tried claying the car yet?
1996 Subaru Legacy GTB Twin Turbo Manual.... used to have a 5, will get another some day....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users