themanstan

KCA-420i and Intravee II install

189 posts in this topic

Hi Richard.

Do you remember my 410i not charging the iPod when we were at Evolve. Could you look at mine and see if there is a prob as I would love the wake mod done too.

Also when was newest firmware released as you did update mine at the time. Now I am driving the M5 a lot I would like the iPod kept awake and charged !

I am happy to post it to you if you have the time to check and update the intravee and 410i.

Meaning meaning to contact you.

Russ

Russ, no problem having a look at your Intravee/KCA-420i/iPod if you want. You have PM.

Just picking up a couple of points on other Intravee threads I have (as always) a few more questions....

I have 3rd Generation Classic iPod that still works superbly. It has over 4000 songs, approximately 600 artists and about 50 playlists - would this cause the Intravee any particular problems?

Can I run a lead from the KCA to the glove box as I use the iPod in several cars?

Is there a significant difference in performance and response from my 3rd Gen Classic to a current Classic?

many thanks as always

I have 3rd Generation Classic iPod that still works superbly. It has over 4000 songs, approximately 600 artists and about 50 playlists - would this cause the Intravee any particular problems?

3rd Gen as in the one with the buttons above the click wheel?

If so then no problem at all. The 3rd Gen only supports 12V charging and not 5V, which is no problem for the KCA-420i, just interesting that the new iPods are the other way round.

Can I run a lead from the KCA to the glove box as I use the iPod in several cars?

Yes. The easiest way is with a long AI-Net cable which would allow you to install the KCA-420i behind the dash, then the iPod up front. You can do it with a dock extender cable, but it's more expensive and a bit trickier to route due to the size of the dock connector. Long AI-Net cables are available for installing CD Changers in the boot from Alpine head units.

Is there a significant difference in performance and response from my 3rd Gen Classic to a current Classic?

Not a lot. The main difference is that the new Classic uses Hibernation and not Deep Sleep. You can disable Deep Sleep with the _no_deepsleep file hack, but then the battery will go flat quite quickly, you can't disable Hibernation. If you have the deep sleep mod to the KCA-420i then Hibernation is better as the iPod resumes playback from where it left off, with deep sleep the iPod is reset and will start playing the first track every time the car is left for more than 36 hours.

Russ, no problem having a look at your Intravee/KCA-420i/iPod if you want. You have PM.

Cheers mate - wll get the 3 bits off to you tomo in a box with enough cash for the return postage. Will send it recorded.

Regards

Russ

A wee bit of topic,can i turn the voice off in the nav? i'v got a mk 3.

Edited by Jason M5

Sure, but it reverts to on every time you restart the car.

With the route planned and the map displayed, click the rotary controller. The 'Instruction' option should be selected, if not select it. Press and hold the rotary controller, the speaker symbol will get a line through it and you won't hear any more Nav instructions.

If you have VR, press and hold the voice key, then say 'Instruction Off', this has the same effect.

Jason M5 likes this

Is it possible to get a longer cable to enable me to connect iPod and iPhone in the front of the car without moving the kca ?

Yes, you can get an Alpine AI-Net cable designed for the CD Changer. They are 5 metres long compared to the 2 metres for the KCA-420i cable.

So I could just unplug the 2m one plug in the 5m one run it to the ashtray area and that's me sorted ?

Would a lumidock be of any use to me ?

You'd need to locate the KCA-420i behind the dash, but there is plenty of space, then run the iPod cable from the KCA-420i to the ash tray area. You could use a LumiDock if you want.

See that's what I'm trying to avoid relocating to KCA, is it possible to keep it in the boot ?

You can use a fully wired dock extender cable, but the size of the dock connector can make it more difficult to route to the dash then an AI-Net cable.

iPod dock extender cables are usually 1m long, getting a longer one is not easy. It's very important that the extender cable is fully wired, some cheap cables are not. This is one I know is fully wired and available in 6 foot lengths http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockXtender.html