themanstan

KCA-420i and Intravee II install

I'm thinking about doing the Intravee upgrade and was wondering (I know it's been covered) but has anyone actually fitted the system so that the ipod sits in the glovebox and what is the best route to get the wiring from the boot to the front of the car?

The easiest way to get the iPod in the glove box is to get a longer Alpine AI-Net cable (Genuine if possible as the quality is better). You can then locate the KCA-420i behind the dash and position the iPod where you want up front. The iPod cable itself is proprietary and difficult (but not impossible) to extend far enough.

You can run the single cable down the passenger side quite easily, there is a rubber bung behind the rear seat that you can use to get the cable through to the cabin.

Okay I am starting this today but have a issue in that I have a black box marked trunk and main roads mounted behind the CD changer and between the silver radio unit, any idea what this is? I assume it is to do with the satnav.

It's the Traffic Master system. Unless you use it, take it out, they fail and take the Nav system with them. It's quite easy to remove, mainly unplugging, but there are three wires that are tapped into the harness. To get the TV/Nav working, disocnnect the blue plug from the flying lead and the blue plug on the TV module, plug the car harness blue plug directly into the TV module.

The problem is that you can't actually fully unplug it. Three wires are soldered into the main loom, why they did that who knows. There is significant risk that this unit will go bad, if you unplug everything you can, then when that happens you'll 'just' get a flat battery.

Thanks for the heads up Richard, just found out that it is useless anyway as I just upgraded my satnav disc to 2010 and the latest software and that has activated the TMC function. so looks like i'll be removing it and replacing the front control with the cup holders.

Okay removed the unit now was dead easy as it was just a case of pulling it off the sticky pads that it had been attached to the radio with, unplug the blue connector at the radio and the disconnect the loom. only difficult bit was cutting the power feed to the unit as there is a red/green power wire and a red/black ground wire that are tied into the main loom somewhere above the rear strut.

Hi Guys,

Fitted my intravee system over the weekend only to find that the battery went dead the following morning. I've now taken just the ipod out and the car seems fine. Any ideas?

How long did it take you to install the IV and how long were you playing with it afterwards without the engine running? With the ignition in the accessory position the car takes about 15-20A, so after a couple of hours even a good battery can be getting marginal.

How long did it take you to install the IV and how long were you playing with it afterwards without the engine running? With the ignition in the accessory position the car takes about 15-20A, so after a couple of hours even a good battery can be getting marginal.

I only played with it for about 20 mins but once I jumped the car and took out the ipod it's been fine :(

Hi guys,

I've put the intravee back in and the car has been running fine for the last couple of days.

Just a quick question can anyone confirm whether or not you can get your Album Art Work to display on the BMW monitor?

RichardP, you seem to be the Intravee guru? At least, the internet is littered with postings by a RichardP who knows about Intravees :)

All the successfully installed Intravees I have ever seen writeups for have been UI6 - i.e. with Nav screen. I have never seen a writeup on the internet about a successful UI4 (MID) installation, for a car without NAV. I even saw suggestions on the Intravention forum that UI4 is rubbish, and is known to be rubbish. Is this the case? Are there actually loads of people out there happily using Intravee II's in E39's with MID displays.

You guessed it - my Intravee does not work in my DSP equipped E39. Freezes, crashes, generally screws up my display and has never played a note of music. Leigh has been looking into it but it's been some time since I heard anything. Maybe you know?

Hence the reason I am looking into that chinese NAV thing - plan B if I have to return my Intravee :)

The Intravee does work with the MID, but you'll need the latest firmware from Intravee support. If you've not done so already you should register your Intravee with them (support@intravention.co.uk) and sign up for an account on the forum http://www.intravention.co.uk/forum/index.php. There is a FAQ item about access to firmware so have a read of that. Make sure you tell them you have a E39 with MID.

A 1998 E39 with MID and DSP will very almost certainly have a Digital CD Changer audio input, so to use the Intravee you'll need an Analogue to Digital converter.

The Intravee does work with the MID, but you'll need the latest firmware from Intravee support. If you've not done so already you should register your Intravee with them (support@intravention.co.uk) and sign up for an account on the forum http://www.intravention.co.uk/forum/index.php. There is a FAQ item about access to firmware so have a read of that. Make sure you tell them you have a E39 with MID.

Hmmmm, I just received the thing, brand new, about a month ago, after a wait of much longer for delivery. If it is shipped in a non-working state, firmware-wise, it's pretty disappointing IMO.

A 1998 E39 with MID and DSP will very almost certainly have a Digital CD Changer audio input, so to use the Intravee you'll need an Analogue to Digital converter.

I have the 3 pin and 6 pin CD changer connections, not the coaxial, hence I am told (according to the blurb) that I don't need the Dice AD converter. The MID can see the intravee but for the most part it's a mess. On the rare occasion I can get Source: iPod, I can scroll through the menus until I get to "Songs" or "Playlists" and the system freezes, everything starts flickering and the MID becomes non-responsive. The last time I had it, I had "Playlist" appearing in different places in the MID, on one occasion in three places simultaneously. After messing about for a few minutes, it reverts to Radio. Sometimes I get "No Magazine", or "Disc Check". I've followed the instructions to reset the UI quite a few times - sometimes it actually responds, sometimes it doesn't but I have no way of actually calling up the UI status to confirm it's setting.

I thought perhaps that there might be something wrong with my car. The CD changer worked fine beforehand but I thought perhaps something had broken (cable-wise during the install). So I took it out and reconnected the CD changer. It works fine, just as it did before. So the car is working fine.

I've read that I can access it using a PC and a serial cable to try and ensure the UI is properly set but of course my PC does not have a serial port. Also, a brief search on "UI4" on the intravention forum shows that I am not alone - with a development bias for UI6 being blamed for it. Furthermore, I have subsequently discovered at least two people who have Intravees (sourced second hand) on their garage shelves because they just couldn't get them working.

I just want to listen to my music. I don't really want to be part of the R&D process, especially considering the cost of all of this. :-(

Thanks for taking the time to reply though :)