themanstan

KCA-420i and Intravee II install

You cause use any A-D converter that has a 12V supply, however, to make things a lot easier for yourself, get one thats specifically designed for the job, it will have the correct Audio connectors etc.

Here are 2, both from the US, but will ship to the UK :

http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=230

The 2nd one from EAS is probably te better quality.

All you have to do is find a switched supply, the power antenna feed from the radio is best, as this comes on and off with the radio rather then the ignition. It's pin 13 on flat pin radios and pin 16 on round pin radios.

Your Nav screen looks like this :

E39_Nav_16x9.jpg

instead of this (actually a DICE, but the Gateway is similar):

display_nav_tr6.jpg

and you don;t have to remember that button 1 does x, button 2 does y, button 3 does z etc. it's all menu driven.

Instead of the ipod solution, are there any straight-swap MP3 changers?

Yes, go to your BMW dealer and buy a new CD Changer (made from September 2005 on) and it will play MP3's and WMA's (about £250, £200 ish from e-bay). No text or folder browsing unless you update your radio module too (about £750 from a dealer, £500 ish from e-bay for the latest version). Or you can get an Intravee and Alpine CHA-S634, about the same price as the OEM Changer and get the same type of contraol as with the KCA-420i/iPod.

I mounted my Intravee with the velcro against the TV unit and drilled the left hand strut from the CD mount and fixed the KCA-420i to that with short self tappers. I then routed the cable through the vent and located the ipod onto the exterior. prefer it this way than using cable ties everywhere.

Dsc00620.jpg

Tidy looking setups that both Comedydill (might revise mine to yours infact!) and pmarley have.

I avoided mounting the iPod in the boot space because I use the boot fairly often, suitcases and the like... Fairly sure my iPod wouldn't have survived its first encounter with one of my mums 30 kg specials!

I mounted mine behind the trim where the cd changer was - I'm always heavng a baby buggy in and out, and it would have got wrecked b now, otherwise. Besides, call me paranoid, but I don't want to flash an ipod at everyone whenever I open the boot.

Just out of curiosity!!!

Has anyone fitted these systems with the cable running to the front of the car!!!

Just thinking I would use an Ipod say walking to work etc so would like to be able to plug in and unplug inside the car without having to open the boot each and everytime!!

Is it possible IE is the cable long enough!!

The cables that come with the KCA-420i are both about 2m long, i.e. not long enough!

However you can easily get a 5m AI-Net cable, locate the KCA-420i in the dash (it's not very big) and then locate the iPod where you want up front, glove box or center storage tray if you don't have a phone.

After fitting my intravee, KCA-420i unit & Analog/Digital converter ive decided for the amount of time ive used it im going to refit the cd changer

Now the guy who installed it for me used this as a guide

After fitting my intravee, KCA-420i unit & Analog/Digital converter ive decided for the amount of time ive used it im going to refit the cd changer

Now the guy who installed it for me used this as a guide

Whats the easiest solution if you just have a cr4ppy tape Business HU? I like the look of the intravee but their website says untested possibly no text support. I can't see the point in having an Ipod interface without text support. I am guessing fitting the nav screen is a major, read expensive job. I guess I could get an MP3 changer I have read that the 2005 changer has MP3 support any ideas of model numbers? cheers

What about getting hold of a later / tested business headunit? I presume it would be more of a straight swap than installing the nav system.

There are alternatives out there, DICE do a system which is also popular.

What about getting hold of a later / tested business headunit? I presume it would be more of a straight swap than installing the nav system.

There are alternatives out there, DICE do a system which is also popular.

I presume you mean one with the MID? I have thought about that but even that doesn't have a very big display does it. Don't like the sound of them DICE units heard too many bad things about them.

Can the guys who have fitted this confirm that it is plug and play and that the sat nav voice still cuts in for directions? Will i definately get the text display with the widescreen nav?

cheers

The only condition which is not plug and play is if you have the older DSP (approx September 2002 cutoff) system. If you do have that you'll need a Analogue to Digital converter, ToysInYourCar sell the DICE version which is plug and play except for power.

You will get text display on the Nav screen, the type of Nav computer you have is more important than the type of screen, basically the better the nav the better the interafce.

Well i have MKIV nav with latest software and no DSP, so i should be able to just buy the kit without any additions?

cheers

Yep, to remove the CD Changer and connect up the Intravee will take about 2 minutes. Finding a secure location and mounting them will take a little longer.

Do you have DSP?

If not then you need an Intravee and a KCA-420i (and an iPod of course!).

If you have DSP then you 'may' need a A/D converter. If you have an existing CD Changer, does it have a small round co-axial connection or a 6 pin connector, in addition to the 3 pin iBus and power connector?