themanstan

KCA-420i and Intravee II install

Having taken delivery of Intravee II yesterday today was fitting day (fit time 15 minutes). I've done a small photo diary so that anyone interested in getting one has a starting point for fitting.

I chose not to drill anything and rely on good old cable ties and sticky fixers/adhesive velcro strips. This will allow removal leaving the vehicle effectively untouched.

Install of a KCA-420i Alpine iPOD adapter and Intravee II:

1. Removal of BMW CD changer - loosen crosshead screws on right handside, lift the unit and pull towards you carefully so as not to over-extend the attached cables.

gallery_31031_79_119546.jpg

2. Remove AUDIO and I-Bus cables from CD changer. The I-Bus cable removal benefits from having pressure applied on the reverse side of plug nearest the cables.

gallery_31031_79_12942.jpg

3. KCA-420i install - apply the supplied adhesive velcro (see below) to the lefthand CD changer strut.

gallery_31031_79_98162.jpg

4. Apply the other half of the velcro to the KCA-420i unit (see below). The front side of the unit was used so as to preserve the serial stickers etc...

gallery_31031_79_204403.jpg

5. Stick the two together

gallery_31031_79_163896.jpg

6. Use cable-ties to secure the unit

gallery_31031_79_77723.jpg

7. Prepare the Intravee - plug in all the cables: i-Bus, Ai-NET and the Audio.

gallery_31031_79_108862.jpg

8. Apply the sticky fixers to the opposing CD changer holding strut thing - sticky fixers are foam with adhesive either side and like the velcro will absorb shocks to some degree. If you are lucky you may get two pieces of velcro with your KCA-420i, you can use this in place of the sticky fixers.

gallery_31031_79_159759.jpg

9. Stick the Intravee II to the strut, again so that the integrity of the serial sticker is maintained.

gallery_31031_79_171419.jpg

10. Use cable-ties to secure the Intravee, a hole in the strut can be used to ensure the cable-tie does not wander.

gallery_31031_79_153347.jpg

11. Prep the Ipod - the iPOD nano I have has a silicone protector, but I've used cable-ties to provide additional shock protection (they'll work like leaf springs).

12. Connect the iPOD cable from the KCA-420i

gallery_31031_79_59006.jpg

13. I attached the iPOD to a cable-tie connected to the one of the large plugs (see picture) - the iPOD (while protected) won't sustain any shocks that it would not normally expect to suffer whilst jogging (of course an artic up the rear might squash things!). Cut all the cable ends to tidy up and put the cables away in crannies where possible. The cover for this section folds back up without any trouble as all the components do not stick out beyond the area that was occupied by the CD changer.

gallery_31031_79_134836.jpg

Edited by themanstan

Fantastic! Do you have any photos of it in action? I'm particularly interested to know how it works with the sat nav unit.

Here we are:

1. Opening screen when playing

DSC01102.JPG

2. Search Screen

DSC01103.JPG

3. Searching through Album search - somewhat laborious, best to set up some playlists to keep searching short (i.e. something I need to do!)

DSC01104.JPG

4. With info and nav going at the same time

DSC01403c.jpg

With that Nav software version (looks like at least 4-1/80) you should turn Enhanced Features on, then you can use Advanced search, it's a lot quicker to find stuff.

Knowing that would have involved reading the manual thoroughly, rather than playing with the new toy straight away! :wink:

ordered mine today from toysinyuorcar.com just got to play the waiting game now.

better get on ebay and find an i-pod :mrgreen:

A spot of advice, in my opinion don't use a iPOD with greater than 20-30GB of capacity. 4-8 GB is more than enough for all the tunes you need to listen to.

Personal preference, I have 2 iPods (2 KCA-420i's), one 160GB and one 80GB. Best value/GB are probably the 60 or 80 Gb Gen 5 Videos second hand.

I think the Apple estimate would be about 60,000 songs. Actually I have a lot fewer tracks than that as there are quite a lot of Audio Books, some of which have chapters well over an hour long, and those estimates are for well compressed MP3's, most of mine are coded at 192Kb/sec so I've only got about 25,000 tracks.

£200 plus the iPOD, £50 for the Alpine KCA-420i iPOD adapter and £150 for the Intravee II. Then select whichever iPOD takes your fancy. I like small to medium, RichardP likes his big!

You'd need to find another solution if you want to watch video via the monitor, the above set-up is for sound only.

There are other iPOD devices from Alpine with video compatibility, but they'd probably have to be used via the TV's AV function rather than the regular music option. Plus you'd need to find a suitable cable to integrate into the BMW.

Robmeister,

in the E39 all the cables you need to play with are in the boot A/V satnav compartment (which makes things very easy). Both cables that you need to attach to the Intravee are the ones attached to the CD changer, so no need to play with the head unit at all.

In the Z4 you're looking at the "rear console" for the location of the cd changer, i believe? If it's already installed it should be an easy swap over. The cables are there even if no cd changer is fitted.

See below, last page for location of cables (they should be identical to the ones in the above install).

Yes it does. Assuming you do one decent trip a week. Had mine in their for a couple of months now without any trouble at all!

Check out the

I fitted the intravee with KCA 420i -

very impressed so far.. it takes over the CD Changer menu

I now have 3GB worth of music to keep me going!!

Not read through the 'instructions' but does it always show CD1-01 on the OBC?

and when forward or reverse searching through a track using the steering wheel controls, it still slowly forwards when u let go of the button??

Not read through the 'instructions' but does it always show CD1-01 on the OBC?

With current firmware, yes.

and when forward or reverse searching through a track using the steering wheel controls, it still slowly forwards when u let go of the button??

The OEM changer requires you to press and hold the > or < key to maintain FF and RW, this can be pretty tiresome if you want to get a long way into a long track, say a chapter in an audio book. The Intravee uses a long key press to start FF or RW, then maintains it for you untill you press > or < again.

just tried fitting my intravee and kca420i

now my cd changer only has 2 wires going into it 1 is the ibus cable and the other one is a small wire, there is no audio cable!!

so when ive went to connet the cables to the intravee im short of the audio cable,

this seems strange as the cd changer works fine

anyone help me out with this?

001.jpg

Car is fitted with Professional Hi-Fi audio with digital sound processor, could it be that the audio cable is going to this??

Ahhh... did you get your Intravee from http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/117129-ipod-integration-w-intravee-ii-alpine-kca-420i-d.html

As for where to get the A/D converter, maybe RichardP if he checks this post might be able to point you in the right direction.

If not you can always go via eBAY for a unit just type in "DICE dsp", they're all from the USA.

Hope this helps!