Guest Graceland

E36 Track Car Project Thread.......

Guest Graceland

This just landed on my doorstep too a few mins since - 16 tonne hydraulic pipe bender.

I'm not sure if the 16 tonne bit means how much the f*****r weighs or the pressure in the bottle jack :cry: as its bloody heavy.

IMG_4248.jpg

Guest Graceland
Making your own cage then?

Yep

I also make exhausts and other pipe flavoured items :lol:

Guest Graceland

Blimy its been 5 days since I have touched the car - back at work = no time to play :( lol

Anyhoo. Todays little update :king:

Metal folding machine arrived and was put straight to action by folding the dashboard and fusebox.

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

IMG_4261.jpg

IMG_4263.jpg

The dashboard was then trial fitted into the car - perfect fit :king:

IMG_4267.jpg

Now the dash and box were folded, the next job was to cover them with black vinyl - a few small airbubbles later, and a few million tiny ones I CBA removing :cry: we have this for the Fusebox - Black vinyl back with a printed vinyl sticker for the lables of each fuse and amperage. Also the rubber grommets were installed aswell for the cable holes.

IMG_4269.jpg

IMG_4272.jpg

Fitted the rear spoiler - twin blade adjustable, wether it works or not has yet to be seen, but for the sake of £16 for an all aluminium race-style spoiler to give the car the "track toy" look and hopefully some usefull downforce, it will be worth it :king: Also fitted the bootlid rubber lashings aswell.

Excuse the remains of the interior sat on the boot lid :oops: - these need binning still :donkey:

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg

Tomorrow my steel for the rollcage is being delivered, and hopefully, with a bit of luck, my gauges will arrive after the complete f*****g fuckup by Royal Mail :wall:

Guest Graceland

What a day today has been. Up at 8am and into the garage at 8:30 :cry: Plenty more electrics done today too.

The first job was to populate the fuse/relay board with the fuse bases and relay bases and fit the board into place.

IMG_4277.jpg

A little closer

IMG_4280.jpg

And now the first 2 wires are firmly home :king:

IMG_4282.jpg

Soon to be followed by a few more :cry:

IMG_4285.jpg

The main feed distribution block was fitted into place and the main feed cable was also fitted too. This was the block I used on my old Cossie to make the battery terminal a little less busy :king: - so was a good keep :donkey:

IMG_4287.jpg

The main fuse was also fitted too - £1.85 off ebay complete with 60A fuse - bargain :king:

IMG_4289.jpg

A few more wires later and its starting to get a bit busier in the fusebox ;) ......

IMG_4293.jpg

Meanwhile, the metal for my rollcage arrived - £63 delivered - good value :king:

IMG_4290.jpg

After all that, the postman eventually arrived with my rather expensive Siemens VDO Gauges - 80mm and they are tacho and speedo.

IMG_4296.jpg

So I took the opprtunity to fit the rest of the gauges - these arn't overly brilliant, but cheap (£80 for all 5) and should do the job. they are (from left to right)

Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Coolant Temp, Voltage, Fuel Gauge (a modified Oil Temp gauge - does the job :cry:)

IMG_4303.jpg

All in all, not a bad days work at all :king:

Just been through this whole thread.....Brilliant! and very inspiring for those that are/were thinking about a similar project.

Nice one

Cheers

Daz

Guest Graceland

A quick update that I forgot to add here the other night but added over on Passionford :oops:

I finished the dashboard off, just need to wire it in (once my cable arrives) and then thats the electrics nearly complete :king:

IMG_4308.jpg

IMG_4312.jpg

And with the steerywheel in place :king:

IMG_4316.jpg

To say I'm proud of myself is little understatement :oops:

I have also done a bit more and got the dash wired in since then, but not had time to photograph and upload due to doing other stuff :lol:

Guest Graceland

on my side of the dash, the alloy has been folded to give a soft lip for my left leg ;)

On the passenger side, nothing, as the pass seat will be mounted back and a footrest in place so the passenger will be nowhere near it :)

Guest Graceland

Another small update for today :)

Dashboard wiring has been finished completely, tested extensively and is working perfectly :king:

Couple of snaps of it with a few lights on :cry:

IMG_4330.jpg

IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_4336.jpg

Happy time :D Also my seats arrived aswell. 7kg each, not too heavy, but heavy compared to some at 3kg :eek: - Still tho, better than the 30kg affairs that are fitted as standard :eek:

IMG_4321.jpg

My harnesses also arrived- massive thanks to Radders off Passionford.com for sorting me out :king:

And I had my first attempt at applying vinyl too. it went on, looked flat and was flat, but the next day as the air temperature increased, so did the size of the small air pockets,:( Still, for the sake of a cheap track toy, I couldn't give a poo poo :D

Quite a nice livery so far methinks :king:

IMG_4342.jpg

Excellent thread Graceland, only found it the other day but will be watching with interest as it progresses.

Livery is looking good.

Gary.

Guest Graceland

Blimy, its been a while since I have had any time to do anything at all on the car due to work and other commitments, so much so, I still havn't got round to sending back some bits to one of the companies I subby for :oops:

Anyway. This update is a culmination of very little time and too much to do :cry:

In no particular order of events, but it happened since the last update we have:

Norty Racing branding on the car at last :king:

IMG_4345.jpg

Bucket seats and harnesses :king: - the harnesses are secured using the original seat mountings for the front seats and the seatbelt top mountings for what was the rear seats :king:

IMG_4348.jpg

Chequer plate flooring for the pedal box area and footrest for the passenger :king:

IMG_4349.jpg

IMG_4354.jpg

IMG_4356.jpg

A Landrover Series 3 Safari Roof Vent - this will aid cabin cooling since I do not have windows that go down anymore :cry: - a bargain at £10 :king:

IMG_4364.jpg

IMG_4367.jpg

A Battery Isolator on the bonnet for the use by Marshals and Emergency Services should the worst case scenario happen :oops:

IMG_4357.jpg

A new wiring loom and a rather different looking MAF to what BMW use - whoever works out the engine gets a sweetie :cry:

IMG_4368.jpg

The van is back - but what for this time? :cry:

IMG_4369.jpg

And last but not least, the quick and easy way of covering shoddy paint and surface bubble rust - get rid of the rust with a wire brush and then cover with vinyl after protecting with primer :cry:

IMG_4370.jpg

Phew - thats all for now :cry:

With the bubbles in the vinyl use a small scalpal and slit the areas without touching the steelwork :) sorts the problem out straightaway ;)

Guest Graceland
Not just heat the vinyl instead?

Did that using mothers hairdryer, it worked a treat.

mind you, so did her temper when she saw me using it in the garage :lol::lol::lol:

Not just heat the vinyl instead?

Did that using mothers hairdryer, it worked a treat.

mind you, so did her temper when she saw me using it in the garage :lol::lol::lol:

Superb :lol::lol:

Guest Graceland

Wehey. Update time, and I've been a little bit busy - not just with the car, but with shopping for it - ahh well :cry:

First things first - remove the front end of the car and trial fit the engine to get dimensions for making the mounts etc etc. Thankfully the E36 is a bolt together affair :king: Altho the rover gearnob HAS to be binned :cry:

IMG_4376.jpg

Gearlever in perfect place too - no need to get a modified cradle for the LT77 :king:

IMG_4377.jpg

IMG_4378.jpg

Then with the engine position and stabalised, the mounts were made. I looked at a few ideas for this, but ended up using the standard BMW rubber mounting bushings on the subframe and the standard SD1 metal arm brackets with some box section welded on. Clearance on the steering gear and starter motor is minimal but perfect with no movement when the engine is shoved about to simulate road use :king: The only problem I have is making some form of exhaust manifold that doesn't foul the steering linkage as there is very little room here :( I have a pair of tubular manifolds from a 4.6 RangeRover P38, but the primaries for 8 and 7 foul the linkage so I need to have a long think and come up with some ideas to solve this problem.

IMG_4379.jpg

IMG_4381.jpg

And a couple of snaps of them both fitted in place :king:

IMG_4382.jpg

IMG_4385.jpg

IMG_4390.jpg

IMG_4391.jpg

Just as I finished putting that little lot together and letting the engine sit naturally, the postie brought me lovely things.

Wasted Spark EDIS-8 kit :king:

IMG_4393.jpg

Goegeus Roose Motorsport Silicone Hoses to do all my coolant and air intake :king:

IMG_4396.jpg

Jetex also sent me my intermediate silencers aswell, forgot to take a picture of these tho :cry:

And the engine sat nicely in its new home (for the moment anyway, I have a 6 padel clutch on the way :donkey: )

IMG_4394.jpg

That is all for today while I make a start on building my wiring loom :king: