Retset

'How To' Guides and Really Useful Links

Replacing waterpump

Pictures and a bit of a guide to replacing the water pump. There's plenty of the instructions on t'internet but no pictures, so I guess you could get the instructions and have these pictures to guide you.

Here's my quick guide on how to replace worn anti roll bar links and replacing anti roll bar bushes, which are prone to wear on E34's. Be aware that the 17mm nuts and bolt threads that you will be removing may be rusted solid. Use of penetrating oil,heat and/or wirebrushing should help considerably.

Slacken the front wheels and jack the front end of the car up, then place the front of the car securely on axle stands - I stood them under the chassis box sections in line with the factory jacking points. Remove the front wheels. If you are only replacing the drop links then turn the steering to a position where you can get a good run at the top link nut with a 17mm socket. Hammer a 16 mm open spanner over the flats on the 'ball' side of the link bolt. (You can just see the spanner in this pic):-

old_drop_linkssml.jpg

If you are just replacing the links then do the same to the bottom 17mm link nut, and remove the worn link. Fitting the new link in place is straightforward, just make sure the top and bottom nuts are tight or it will knock.

If you are replacing the anti roll bar bushes you will notice that the ARB is held in place by 2 rubber mountings. These mounts simply undo with a 13mm socket. There are two retaining nuts per mounting:-

coming_offsml.jpg

Once the old anti roll bar is off, fit the new bushings in the same place on the new ARB, and firmly push the retaining cups over the rubber bushes. Make sure that the 'splits' in the bushing face downwards. I fitted new 25mm bushes, brackets and 13mm retaining nuts, which came to £27 from the local BMW dealer. You may need assistance with maneuvering the new bar in place and bolting the new brackets to the car.

M_ARB-Fittedsml.JPG

Once the bar is bolted securely to the car then fit the bottoms of the drop links to it & tighten them securely. I covered all the new bolts and retaining cups with a coat of Waxoyl, to 'hopefully' prevent future seizure issues. Then its back on with the roadwheels, remove the axle stands etc etc....take it for a spin and feel the increase in stability the new links give you.

Shaun M

Still get requests for advice on this one so here is the link from when I did the job 8)

E32 INTO A E34

Hope this will help people who may want to attempt the job :wink:

Just a quick one for anyone adding an amplifier into the boot of an E34 as I did this morning. There is a rubber grommet on the passenger side of the boot panel behind the back seat, on the passenger side, there is not one on the drivers side so if you didnt know it was there you could miss it. Remove the rear seat backrest and it will be obvious, its at the bottom of the panel. There are pre formed holes in it that can be removed at the factory depending on equipment level, and thus plenty of room for wires into the boot. Nice touch and it looks factory as it all hides under and behind the rear seat. Not a guide really but helps audio novices like me out when someone has been there before.

Total BMW Guide to retrofitting Cruise Control into an e34 taken from August 2005.

http://forum.bmw5.co...__1#entry585144

Also has pictures from my cruise control retrofit

Here is a link to the JamesF's cruise loom installation http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/72825-my-attempt-so-far-at-cruise-retrofit-to-car-lacking-factory-harness/page__gopid__753126

Edited by stevenc3828

BMW EBA / retrofit guides from OJs Autobahn in Norway

The pdf documents are in german with pictures and English / spanish / french etc translations towards the end of the document. I suggest that you right click and save them to your hard drive etc rather than view them off the guys website.

Also on the same website diy articles such as installing a towbar, interior blower sword repair and wiring diagrams.

e34 Touring Towbar wiring instructions for bmw wiring

For those wishing to fit a towbar, I fitted a second hand bosal de-tachable towbar to my e34 Touring and ran a tap through the threaded chassis mounting points first then put all the bolts / screws loosely before tightening them.

The towbar people have installation instructions to download.

Westfalia detachable instructions attached - see page 14 on for English instructions and diagrams.

Plate 2 in drawing 303 0781079 691 101 of the detachable westfalia document would have to be binned for e34 tourings and replaced with bolts and washers like in the westfalia fixed towbar system (see page 6 drawing 303 147 691 101 in the fxed pdf). The Bosal system uses bolts and washers as standard so is suitable from the off.

With the bosal towbar I was able to use the standard bumper mounts with a bit of persuasion rather than buy the BMW solid mounts see part 24 of http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E34/Touring/Europe/525ix-M50/RHD/M/1993/july/browse/vehicle_trim/carrier_bumper_rear/ or make some up.

For those with sport / M5 bumpers, here is a link to an5 board page about making the cut in the bumper for the cover

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-discussion/70719-its-been-while-so-another-towbar-thread.html

BMW_Touring_Towbar_Wiring_Instructions.pdf

detachable_a303078691101-303079A.pdf

Fixed_Touring_a303147691111_ab_13.03.08_war-101.pdf

bosal_tow_bmw_installation015732.pdf

bosal_tow_bmw_installation015733.pdf

Edited by stevenc3828