Sign in to follow this  
duncan-uk

rear seat removal

in fitting my buckets i've had to go for the seat belt receiver mounting (sorry Shawn - i'll work on this!) so i've removed the lower squab.

how does the back come out - i see three bolts at the base - is it these out and pull or are there more fixings? I remember an e32/7 taking ages!

help so i can get it out tomorrow for beds!

in fitting my buckets i've had to go for the seat belt receiver mounting (sorry Shawn - i'll work on this!) so i've removed the lower squab.

how does the back come out - i see three bolts at the base - is it these out and pull or are there more fixings? I remember an e32/7 taking ages!

help so i can get it out tomorrow for beds!

it's a fekker to get in again m8 I warn ya :evil:

Two bolts each side by C pillar bottom corners of seat back

lower armrest and remove armrest vinyl trim and there are two fixings behind there.

Pull upwards.

it's a fekker to get in again m8 I warn ya :evil:

Two bolts each side by C pillar bottom corners of seat back

lower armrest and remove armrest vinyl trim and there are two fixings behind there.

Pull upwards.

there where in the e32 now i think about it - think i'll stick with the lower squab out (nice place for my wheels) and the spare, jack etc out.

It feels stronger since i reset the valve clearances again but that could be butt dyno BS....

there where in the e32 now i think about it - think i'll stick with the lower squab out (nice place for my wheels) and the spare, jack etc out.

It feels stronger since i reset the valve clearances again but that could be butt dyno BS....

Duncan,

Not difficult to remove mine mate, the base is held by one bolt in the centre, just above the tunnel carpet, then lift up and clips release.

The back rest is held in by a bolt secured though a metal hoop in each bottom corner (near the outer seat belt mounts), usually only one fixing behind the arm rest (just pull the leather over to one side and you'll gain access easily).

Then pull the back rest from the base sharply upwards (one side at a time) and remove it.

Jobs a goodun :mrgreen:

Duncan,

Not difficult to remove mine mate, the base is held by one bolt in the centre, just above the tunnel carpet, then lift up and clips release.

The back rest is held in by a bolt secured though a metal hoop in each bottom corner (near the outer seat belt mounts), usually only one fixing behind the arm rest (just pull the leather over to one side and you'll gain access easily).

Then pull the back rest from the base sharply upwards (one side at a time) and remove it.

Jobs a goodun :mrgreen:

I agree getting them out is easy.

Mine were a pita to get back in though.

Getting the seat back to stay on the hooks was a right arse....no idea why as it should be simple.....

I agree getting them out is easy.

Mine were a pita to get back in though.

Getting the seat back to stay on the hooks was a right arse....no idea why as it should be simple.....

There were a couple of bolts that had to be undone from the boot to remove the backrest on my '87 520i lux. backrest-wise; mind you dont bend the frame when its removed.

There were a couple of bolts that had to be undone from the boot to remove the backrest on my '87 520i lux. backrest-wise; mind you dont bend the frame when its removed.

Errm... On all the E28s I've had, removing the rear seats was a PoP!!

One centre screw (often missing!) holds the base in place, remove that & a sharp pull upwards, to get the backrest off, pull the headrests out, remove the two bolts at the bottom and another sharp pull upwards dislodges it, then scoot the belts out of the way & it's out!

Replacement is the reverse of removal, in the good-old Haynes tradition. Only difficult bit is lining up the backrest, once you've done it one time it's easy, position it in its normal fitted position, but about three inches higher, hold it firmly against the rear bulkhead whilst pushing it downwards (to engage the lugs).

There were a couple of bolts that had to be undone from the boot to remove the backrest on my '87 520i lux.

Not come across that. You sure they weren't for the headrests?

Having said all that, will the weight saving be worth the effort! :lol: (E28 rear seats don't weigh much!!)

BTW, anyone want some free gen. M535i cloth rear seats??!

Errm... On all the E28s I've had, removing the rear seats was a PoP!!

One centre screw (often missing!) holds the base in place, remove that & a sharp pull upwards, to get the backrest off, pull the headrests out, remove the two bolts at the bottom and another sharp pull upwards dislodges it, then scoot the belts out of the way & it's out!

Replacement is the reverse of removal, in the good-old Haynes tradition. Only difficult bit is lining up the backrest, once you've done it one time it's easy, position it in its normal fitted position, but about three inches higher, hold it firmly against the rear bulkhead whilst pushing it downwards (to engage the lugs).

There were a couple of bolts that had to be undone from the boot to remove the backrest on my '87 520i lux.

Not come across that. You sure they weren't for the headrests?

Having said all that, will the weight saving be worth the effort! :lol: (E28 rear seats don't weigh much!!)

BTW, anyone want some free gen. M535i cloth rear seats??!