Trip

F10 pressure sensor question

A valve started leaking air so I got it replaced quickly with a 'normal' valve so I could still drive it. Now I have the pressure monitor and new valve stems which need to be fitted back. No problem so far.

Immediately after the pressure sensor was removed the car was still reading from it. It was in my pocket and reported very low pressure and about 24 degrees. Makes sense.

Now, however it's not reading it any more (still in my pocket). Does that mean it's broken? Or does the wheel rotation somehow power it?

6 hours ago, apples12 said:

Wheel rotation powers it/activates it I believe

Are you sure about that? Most tyre pressure sensors that I’ve heard of use (sealed for life) batteries. Are BMW ones self-powered (which is possible but rather expensive to manufacture)?

1 hour ago, Boba said:

Are you sure about that? Most tyre pressure sensors that I’ve heard of use (sealed for life) batteries. Are BMW ones self-powered (which is possible but rather expensive to manufacture)?

Reasonably confident!

The sensors intermittently send a signal to the receiver but only when it senses the wheels rotating

1 hour ago, apples12 said:

The sensors intermittently send a signal to the receiver but only when it senses the wheels rotating

Intermittent, yes, but not only when it’s rotating. When I check my tyre pressures as soon as I get into the car I can see they’ve dropped overnight these cold mornings. Also when I inflate the tyres the pressure changes register straightaway. Maybe they transmit on a change (which would be sensible)?