Cadwell Parker

Loose pipe in F11 engine compartment

I noticed this the other day while doing the yellow grommet job. Circled in red, looking down into the space at the back of the engine compartment, low down in front of the yellow grommet area,  just behind the suspension arm and next to the bottom of the engine. Not sure whether it's meant to be like this or not. Perhaps its just a breather pipe and nothing to worry about. Anyone know what this is?

20190212_114559.thumb.jpg.422f2674724f3afbfe82852d5b39f3af.jpg

3 hours ago, IINexusII said:

SInce its close to the engine mount it most likely is the vacuum hose going into the mounts:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=5C32-EUR-05-2014-F10N-BMW-520d&diagId=22_0215

Variable engine mounts? I had no idea. I've not looked at Realoem up to now. It looks like an excellent resource. The VIN search function is especially nice. I used that to find the right diagram for my car, a 530d. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

2 hours ago, BFleming said:

I know the red one is a vacuum pipe; not sure about the black one though (and sadly don't have my car at the moment to look either).

Looks like the black one is supposed to be connected to the underside of the engine mounting.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=5K12-EUR-06-2014-F11N-BMW-530d&mg=22#05

Not sure whether I'll be able to reach down the there to feel where it needs to go it or whether I'll need to get under the car and pull the undertray off to get at it. 

It looks like the pipe might just be an interference push fitting job but looking at my photo it's going to difficult to get a hand into position to even feel where it needs to be. I'm stuck at work now so can't get a look at the car til later. 

You need to ask, why did the vacuum pipe come away. I don't imagine that there is anything that could have made it fall out as it's not really near anything that would impact it. Sounds like a failed part. 

You will be under some form of warranty no doubt as it's a new purchase?

5 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

You need to ask, why did the vacuum pipe come away. I don't imagine that there is anything that could have made it fall out as it's not really near anything that would impact it. Sounds like a failed part. 

You will be under some form of warranty no doubt as it's a new purchase?

Yes, warranted for 3 months from indy dealer. I'll get a better look in the morning when the light's better.

That'd be great thanks. If you can manage to get a photo of the underside of the engine mounting without too much difficulty that'd be even better. 

From looking at the diagram on Realoem it looks like it's the vacuum pipe. Will the car be ok to drive like that or am I risking damaging the mounts or other parts connected to the vacuum system?

A failed/failing engine mount may give rise to additional noise and vibration.

Whilst it is a new to you car, you may not notice if that is the case as chances are the pipe was disconnected before you bought it.

Worth getting it checked, but its not like your engine is going to drop out.

4 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Whilst it is a new to you car, you may not notice if that is the case as chances are the pipe was disconnected before you bought it.

Indeed. I'm less than a week into ownership and with limited experience of other similar vehicles I've little to judge this one by but the more I drive it the more I'm noticing a level of occasional low frequency vibration and roughness over some bumps one would not expect from a car of this pedigree. Presumably those more used to these cars would expect them to be totally smooth and free of any vibration at all. I absolutely love the car. Every time I drive it it puts a smile on my face but the vibration is becoming more and more noticeable so I'll be giving rhe dealer a call tomorrow.

10 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

Indeed. I'm less than a week into ownership and with limited experience of other similar vehicles I've little to judge this one by but the more I drive it the more I'm noticing a level of occasional low frequency vibration and roughness over some bumps one would not expect from a car of this pedigree. Presumably those more used to these cars would expect them to be totally smooth and free of any vibration at all. I absolutely love the car. Every time I drive it it puts a smile on my face but the vibration is becoming more and more noticeable so I'll be giving rhe dealer a call tomorrow.

I'd suggest driving another one first to see if it's the same. Cars do vibrate, especially big diesels and even though a 5 series is refined it's never going to smooth out every bump on the UKs pitted roads.

On 12/02/2019 at 14:15, Cadwell Parker said:

I noticed this the other day while doing the yellow grommet job. Circled in red, looking down into the space at the back of the engine compartment, low down in front of the yellow grommet area,  just behind the suspension arm and next to the bottom of the engine. Not sure whether it's meant to be like this or not. Perhaps its just a breather pipe and nothing to worry about. Anyone know what this is?

20190212_114559.thumb.jpg.422f2674724f3afbfe82852d5b39f3af.jpg

That looks like the end has snapped off from somewhere?

I spoke to the dealer today and arranged to take it in first thing on Monday morning. Fingers crossed it'll get sorted without too much hassle.

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

So the engine mounts use a vacuum system... have i got this right? 

I didn't  know either. From what I understand the engine mounts operate a variable damping system using engine vacuum to control them. They run harder when the car is travelling faster *>60mph?). Not sure if it's just the diesel cars that have it. I need to look into it a bit more and find out how the system works. I'd never heard of variable engine mounts before. 

On 15/02/2019 at 19:25, Caesar said:

So the engine mounts use a vacuum system... have i got this right? If so, are the petrol versions on similar mounts? 

Yes, yes and no.

It helps smooth out the vibrations from the Diesel engines, although the 6 pots are pretty smooth.  It would appear its not needed in ours.

It was a new one on me too, glad I wasn't the only one that didn't know that. :ph34r:

The car was at the dealers this morning. They confirmed our suspicions and reconnected the vac pipe to the engine mount. The car feels happier now with less vibes and more smoothness all's well :lol: