Sign in to follow this  
Bigcarman79

Blue-ish smoke on first startup etc..

Hi....again,

I really hope i'm not going to regret owning a BMW but I think the car has issues. Firstly, on the first start-up of the day (cold) I get a puff of blueish smoke out the back, its literally just for a second then goes away. It does not smoke at any other time after that or when driving. Is this a common problem or do I have a serious issue. Its worth noting that I've had to extract nearly a litre of oil out of the car as it was overfilled.

Secondly theirs an issue with one of my tail lights/brake light. Its one on the boot lid itself. It flashes like it has a connection issue, it could be a connection issue but wondered if theirs been any other people with the same issue?

The car is going back to the garage to (hopefully) get sorted but if I can go to them with suggestions it may help.

Thanks

Engine? 

<put your car details here.

Is not unknown for valve stems oil seals to go on older/high mileage petrol engines.  That give rise to a puff of smoke on start up and a slight oily smell to the exhaust. 

Edited by 535i Andrew

4 hours ago, Bigcarman79 said:

Hi....again,

I really hope i'm not going to regret owning a BMW but I think the car has issues. Firstly, on the first start-up of the day (cold) I get a puff of blueish smoke out the back, its literally just for a second then goes away. It does not smoke at any other time after that or when driving. Is this a common problem or do I have a serious issue. Its worth noting that I've had to extract nearly a litre of oil out of the car as it was overfilled.

Secondly theirs an issue with one of my tail lights/brake light. Its one on the boot lid itself. It flashes like it has a connection issue, it could be a connection issue but wondered if theirs been any other people with the same issue?

The car is going back to the garage to (hopefully) get sorted but if I can go to them with suggestions it may help.

Thanks

What sort of mileage has the car got ? Are you sure its not steam ? My e39 petrol 525 with 169,*** on the clock does this. Mostly when its really cold in the morning. Along with worn rings/stems allowing a small amount of oil to settle (overnight) could also give you this effect. Was a bit concerned when I first noticed, but have been reassured by my Indi of choice that (in my case, anyway), shouldn't be a problem. Just be prepared to use a bit more oil than a lower mileage example.

I was warned off buying a e39 2.2 petrol block because of known issues with oil consumption. Main reason I went for a 525 rather than a 520.