oldjohnny

Brake Fluid Reservoir.

I thought this E60 530d was mental regarding the countless digits required in the 'hidden' menu to find the temperature.  Then I discovered the delights of simply fitting a new headlight bulb.  Brake fluid service light appeared today.  Thinking that even I can sort that out I raised the bonnet but no sign of a reservoir. Took the engine cover off but no joy.     So retired to seek directions on you tube and suffering f..k hasn't some masochist buried it under the micro filter.   God only knows what the future holds.

If I ever meet any of the guys who designed this car I would have to invoke that old Irish prayer.  'Oh God, keep my feet out of him'

E60 brake fluid change DIY, including access to brake master cylinder.  Which on an E60 will reveal a puddle of water under the master cylinder. 

I would use a pressure bleeding kit now rather than get my dad to pump then pedal.

You're right, I often find BMW make things unnecessarily complicated. Is it to put off DIY enthusiasts? Or to discourage indy garages from undertaking work? Who knows, but you're right almost every job on these cars is far more complicated than it needs to be.

3 hours ago, oldjohnny said:

some masochist buried it under the micro filter. 

It wouldn't be so bad if they had provided an extension to the reservoir in an easier location. It certainly doesn't encourage regular checking! :)

2 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

. It certainly doesn't encourage regular checking! :)

BMW would say....

It has an electronic level sensor which will feed into a module which will then do some electrical wizardry and then warn the driver at the appropriate moment.  There is no need for a manual check.

Mercedes would say

For brake fluid, call a man.

Just discovered how to reset the brake service light.  Thought it was a warning to top up but it's just a notice that it's time to change the fluid.  Will do it in the warmer weather.   At 14 years old it will hardly invalidate any warranty.:D

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

BMW would say....

It has an electronic level sensor which will feed into a module which will then do some electrical wizardry and then warn the driver at the appropriate moment.  There is no need for a manual check.

This, to be fair. It'll tell you when it's low and it'll tell you when it needs changing, what more do you need to know? 

2 minutes ago, Deviant said:

This, to be fair. It'll tell you when it's low and it'll tell you when it needs changing, what more do you need to know? 

Correct but us old skool types like me and @pidgeonpost like to do a visual. :D  I checked the wifes brake fluid level at the weekend.

My F10 only has a dipstick between the leather and steering wheel, there isn't one under the bonnet.

And as we all know, especially E60 owners, the electrical system* is soooo reliable.

*the same system that monitors everything.

9 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

old skool types like me and @pidgeonpost like to do a visual:D

That's the 'problem' - old habits die hard. :lol:  Plenty of posts on the forum querying the difference in reported engine oil levels between dipstick and iDrive, so clearly some owners are dubious about whether the sensor is telling the truth.

Sensors very rarely fail but it's nice to double check using the MK1 Eyeball occasionally. :)

8 hours ago, Clavurion said:

How many minutes does it take to remove the pollen filter cowls? 

Lol, not long.

They have improved things on the F10, no pollen filter to move, just lift off the bonnet sealing strip and undo three expanding rivets.

19 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Correct but us old skool types like me and @pidgeonpost like to do a visual. :D  I checked the wifes brake fluid level at the weekend.

My F10 only has a dipstick between the leather and steering wheel, there isn't one under the bonnet.

And as we all know, especially E60 owners, the electrical system* is soooo reliable.

*the same system that monitors everything.

I get that, but I'm okay with it being buried. If you have a slight leak the sensor will tell you, and if you have a huge leak, you'll feel it in the pedal and you won't be able to stop. 

Not having an oil dipstick however drives me nuts. Having an oil level sensor is great, but not being able to check it properly especially when topping up... madness. 

Edited by Deviant

I’m with @Deviant on the lack of dipstick. Not only is it good to be able to manually verify the quantity of oil in the engine but it’s useful to gauge the condition of the oil. I’m finding that the gauge on the dash can be inconsistent where the level can go up or down by a couple of blocks each time I check it (usually every journey as I’m still learning to trust the car and am a bit paranoid).

I didn't like my E39 as it didn't have an automatic transmission dipstick, which my Senator had.  

Two most important things in a car, engine temp gauge and an engine oil dipstick.

The E60 doesn't have a proper engine temp gauge which atleast BMW rectified in the F10.

35 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

The E60 doesn't have a proper engine temp gauge

A shameful omission. I suppose if we're happy to trust in sensors for engine oil and brake fluid we should feel the same when it comes to coolant, but I don't. Would be nice if it could be coded like digital speedo. 

Edited by pidgeonpost