Bigcarman79

Front Discs & Silencer (F11)

Hi

I've just had the car up on a ramp for my brother to check over my new purchase. He's a qualified mechanic and knows his stuff so I trust him. He pointed out that the front discs are 21.0mm thick and are below the minimum thickness of 22.4mm. I've only had the car about 2 and a bit weeks and covered about 500 miles. Should I take it back to the garage I bought it from and ask them to sort it? or am I onto a loser? The baffles in the rear silencer are also rattling about, is this something I can get sorted by the garage under the 30 day warranty period?

The rest of the car is immaculate and couldn't be faulted :)

A few imponderables! :). If you paid top whack from a dealer then maybe you'll get somewhere. On the other hand if it was a bargain basement job you could have a fight on your hands. I guess it wasn't possible for your brother to check it over before you clinched the deal or you may have saved yourself some grief. 

Well, outside of a BMW AUC I doubt if many garages warrant that the car meets BMW’s specifications or even think of checking disk thickness, only that it’s up to MoT standard, so you might be out of luck on the disks. Frankly I doubt if you’ve any chance on a rattley silencer, again provided it would pass an MoT.

I thought as much. I will ring tomorrow and see what they say. My brother could not make it to view the car, I knew the discs where a bit warn but to that extent.

I cant believe how much BMW charge for a rear silencer!!! Anybody know of a place that does them a bit cheaper?

On 08/02/2019 at 06:58, Lukenkarl said:

The minimum thickness depends on the brake set up you have. Blue calipers means thicker disc. (22.4mm min). Normal (silver) caliper min thickness 19mm

This is incorrect.

• The F10/F11 were never available with the Mperformance blue calipers
  • If the front discs are 330 x 24 the minimum thickness is 22.4
  • If the front discs are 348 x 30 the minimum thickness is 28.4
  • If the front discs are 348 x 36 the minimum thickness is 34.4
  •  
  • Rear discs are either 18.4 or 22.4 but I think all F10/11s (non-M5) came with 330 x 20 at the rear so 18.4 is the minimum. 

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-520d-lim/repair-manuals/34-brakes/34-11-front-wheel-brakes/DDRQpCMQ 

- Note the Specification page contradicts itself noting in the text -2.4mm but in the table -1.6mm. For later cars such as my 6GT it only refers to -1.6 and this is this minimum I've always worked to on the BMWs and Minis I've serviced.

Edited by Matthew Ashton
Added the 520d brake disc size and clarified the -1.6mm minimum

31 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

This is incorrect.

•  
  • Rear discs are either 18.4 or 22.4 but I think all F10/11s (non-M5) came with 330 x 20 at the rear so 18.4 is the minimum. 

Not disagreeing @Matthew Ashton as I’ve no idea, but your figures for the fronts seem impossibly high compared with the OP’s measurements.

16 minutes ago, Boba said:

Not disagreeing @Matthew Ashton as I’ve no idea, but your figures for the fronts seem impossibly high compared with the OP’s measurements.

Thats becasue I'm guessing the OP has a 520d which when new has 24mm thick front discs.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FW12-EUR-01-2013-F10-BMW-520d&diagId=34_1823

Therefore minimum thickness of those discs will be 22.4mm (which is the standard 1.6mm wear implication) that is etched onto the discs.

Matthews figures are correct for 530d and 535i variants. Or the smaller engined variants with the high speed option brake.

TIS implies that you are allowed 2.4 mm wear on your discs before replacing. But that does not match what is marked  on the discs.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-520d-lim/repair-manuals/34-brakes/DDRQpCMQ

Confused dot com! ;)

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't think the discs are excessively worn despite it being below the minimum thickness. But I will be changing them in due course. As thought the garage doesn't want anything to do with it...

Any ideas on the best place to get service items for BMW, I know the usual places (GSF etc) but want to know if there are any better alternatives?

40 minutes ago, Bigcarman79 said:

Any ideas on the best place to get service items for BMW, I know the usual places (GSF etc) but want to know if there are any better alternatives?

Yes BMW.  That way you know it will fit and have a two year warranty on the parts.  They aren't as expensive as you think, especially when you build a relationship with your local dealer.  My local parts guys are terrific and have done me a few good deals.

44 minutes ago, Bigcarman79 said:

I don't think the discs are excessively worn despite it being below the minimum thickness.

Just watch with your discs.  I knew mine were wearing like yours not excessively and looked o.k. on the face I could see, but on removing them and inspecting the rear of the disc, it was a different story.

IMG-4264.jpg

10 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

This is incorrect.

•  

This is just what my dealer told me. They were wrong again...

10 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

TIS implies that you are allowed 2.4 mm wear on your discs before replacing. But that does not match what is marked  on the discs.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-520d-lim/repair-manuals/34-brakes/DDRQpCMQ

Confused dot com! ;)

Whats marked on the discs is the minimum thickness that you allowed to put new pads on those discs. The nominal thickness -2.4mm is when the discs are worn out.

5 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yes BMW.  That way you know it will fit and have a two year warranty on the parts.  They aren't as expensive as you think, especially when you build a relationship with your local dealer.  My local parts guys are terrific and have done me a few good deals.

Just watch with your discs.  I knew mine were wearing like yours not excessively and looked o.k. on the face I could see, but on removing them and inspecting the rear of the disc, it was a different story.

IMG-4264.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I will get onto BMW for a price. I know online they seem a bit on the pricey side.

12 minutes ago, Bigcarman79 said:

Thanks for the heads up. I will get onto BMW for a price. I know online they seem a bit on the pricey side.

The online price obviously includes fitting. 

Its an easy DIY if you know which end of a spanner to hold and you can save a good few quid.

Slightly different over here in Germany as far as the lack of motor factors' goes, but the Autodoc system does provide huge savings if you're doing the work.

When I did my fronts last year I got 2 ATE discs and pads for marginally more than BMW wanted for a single disc.