Davison33

Rythmic vibrations through seat

Hello guys I just wanted to query if anyone has had a similar issue. I've recently noticed my 530d is vibrating in a rhythmic fashion at around 60 to 75 mph through the seat mostly. I know of the potential issues with the prop shaft bearing and bushings causing vibration but was curious if someone has experienced this same rhythmic vibration and what the cause was in the end

My 528i vibrated at 68 - 70mph pretty much exactly.

The 523 vibrated from 67mph upwards, to tyhe point that you could almost hear the vibes rather than feel them.

Touch wood, my current 525 Touring doesn't vibrate at speed (or I've just not gone fast enough yet...)

I could never place any of them to a certain area or issue, just accepted it!

Wonder if your rear alloys need balancing again? 

Usually if if your car vibrates through the chassis, it’s generally the rear alloys and tyres that need checking over... 

Yea my first port of call is going to be to check the wheels and tyres over this weekend it's just strange how it's a on and off rhythm. Would expect it to be more continous if it was wheel and tyre related. It's puzzling 

Rear tyres will probably be the problem; check tyre pressures and check them for bulges. If the car has been stood a little while the tyres may be out of round  and only replacing them might solve the problem.

Had exactly this a while back, a vibration that came and went seemingly at random, butter smooth for 20 seconds, then vibration and back again from 68 mph onwards until about 80. 

New rear tyres cured it for me. 

Cheers for the advice guys, havent been driving the car too much of late, have been very busy but getting the rear up on stands tommorow and giving the back end a once over. Hopefully it is just some out of round rear tyres.  If I can't see anything obvious I'll get a balance done see if that solves it 

Update, finally got round to getting a wheel balance on wedensday this week. Upon inspection of he rear end at the weekend there is slight movement in the right rear wheel through the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position , potentially got some bushes that are starting to let go. Plus the tyre seems to have slightly more wear on the inside. Going to order a rear suspension kit anyways as that will need replacing soon even if its not the cause of vibration, plus if I refurbished the rear end I know it's solid for some time

Edited by Davison33

7 hours ago, Davison33 said:

Update, finally got round to getting a wheel balance on wedensday this week. Upon inspection of he rear end at the weekend there is slight movement in the right rear wheel through the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position , potentially got some bushes that are starting to let go. Plus the tyre seems to have slightly more wear on the inside. Going to order a rear suspension kit anyways as that will need replacing soon even if its not the cause of vibration, plus if I refurbished the rear end I know it's solid for some time

Least you know what the culprit is more than likely to be :) 

Get the arms replaced in one go, don't bother with single bushes unless it's the lower swing arm. I've always gone for Meyle and Lemforder via BMWmotormec and/or C3BMW on eBay; they're excellent resellers and it's all genuine stuff

Get your part numbers via RealOEM, enter your last 7 digits of your VIN into the box at the top of the page and it'll bring up your exact car :) 

Enter those part numbers into eBay and source the parts from the above resellers

MOOG are also very good; so could be worth speaking to yoiur local motorfactors too

Cheers for that I'll have a look into sourcing some parts, do want to make sure I have the genuine gear that's for sure. Driving to cornwall from salisbury on Friday so hoping that the play isn't the major source of vibration, rather the wheel and tIre. Will look to refurb the rear this weekend 

18 minutes ago, Davison33 said:

Cheers for that I'll have a look into sourcing some parts, do want to make sure I have the genuine gear that's for sure. Driving to cornwall from salisbury on Friday so hoping that the play isn't the major source of vibration, rather the wheel and tIre. Will look to refurb the rear this weekend 

IMO dont bother with genuine BMW parts; you'll be ripped apart by the family financier :lol:

The Meyle and Lemforder parts are more than adequate :)