RandomName

Headlight lenses

The lenses on my headlights have seen better days. I’ve tried the Meguiars one step restoration kit and while it was an improvement there’s still a bit of putting and what looks like water marks on the inside. Looking at trying the Meguiars two step kit or possibly clear coating the once the weather improves.

While trawling eBay I stumbled across these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E60-E61-Estate-Saloon-headlight-glass-cover-headlamp-lens-Set-TYP-03-03-07/322231377600?fits=Plat_Gen%3AE60&hash=item4b067c9ec0:g:8~sAAOSw0UdXtJ6y

I appreciate that fitting will involve cutting, but has anyone successfully replaced their lenses?

The car has adaptive xenon lights so not exactly cheap to replace if it all goes wrong.

@edd_jedi I’ve found a couple of videos of people fitting them (mainly from the US) and it looks like a daunting process of:

cutting the old one off

Removing the old adhesive from the unit

cutting out the led marker light if the new one doesn’t already have one

glue the whole thing back together again.

My problem is that while my units are not as clear as I’d like them, they are not an mot failure yet. Would be a big gamble to start cutting into them hence looking for others experience/thoughts.

@Deviant it’s idle thoughts at the minute. Will be the spring/summer before I would consider attempting it. Would be an easier decision if the lights were cracked or broken but to attack serviceable light units with a cutting disc might be a step too far for even me.

2 minutes ago, RandomName said:

@Deviant it’s idle thoughts at the minute. Will be the spring/summer before I would consider attempting it. Would be an easier decision if the lights were cracked or broken but to attack serviceable light units with a cutting disc might be a step too far for even me.

It goes fine and looks great for the guy in the videos and turns into a sodding nightmare when you try it. If you mess it up it's going to be an expensive fix. 

2 minutes ago, Deviant said:

It goes fine and looks great for the guy in the videos and turns into a sodding nightmare when you try it. If you mess it up it's going to be an expensive fix. 

To be fair the guy in one of the videos did say it was a nightmare and that he wouldn’t attempt to do them again. Inspires a lot of confidence in the process...