captain haddock

F11 air springs deflating - no fault codes

Hi, just joined after reading loads of very useful discussions on F11 air springs, I hope someone can offer some guidance as I'm now stuck.

A bit of history: I have replaced both of the air springs on my 2013 F11 with ones bought from fleabay.  The nearside rear went first and was fine with the replacement, then a few months later the offside rear went.  Replacing each was fairly straightforward, however, when I replaced the last one there as a loud pop (like a balloon bursting) noise from the rear of the car once everything had been reconnected (wheel on, battery connected).

Now both the air springs are sagging when the car is left overnight.

I've hooked the car up to ISTA+ and no fault codes come up.  I've tried raising/lowering each air spring through ISTA+ and it works fine.

My thoughts are it could be:

1. solenoid valve - can I test this?

2.  the compressor - but each side raises up OK.  How do I check the pressure

3. air springs leaking

I wonder if the loud pop was the solenoid valve, I'm happy to DIY replace it but would rather know for sure

Thanks,

Haddock

I had exactly the same problem as you. 

The bags on eBay are rubbish. One lasted 6 months and the other leaked slowly immediately. 

I paid £170 each for new originals and they are working fine. 

I replaced the solenoid with a cheap one and that was faulty so replaced that with the proper one and now all is fine. 

Your solenoid should be still good. 

Cheap does not work for these parts. 

it may well be the air springs, I'm happy to replace them if it is but would like to know before forking out and potentially finding it out that it isn't

I'm suspicious of the loud sound I heard, but I don't know enough about how the solenoid valve works (or indeed if it could be the compressor)...was hoping to see fault codes.

I've just seen this discussion where one comments suggests taking out a couple of fuses to determine if its a problem with the air spring or the compressor:

Worth a try...I'm just not sure of that also helps to isolate the solenoid valve.

Haddock

The most likely cause of the load pop when inflating the bag for the first time would be the plastic base of the bag popping into place or even the top one if it came loose before the inflation.

The solenoid makes a ppsshh sound when the pump finishes inflating.

8 hours ago, GeeJayJoe said:

The most likely cause of the load pop when inflating the bag for the first time would be the plastic base of the bag popping into place or even the top one if it came loose before the inflation.

The solenoid makes a ppsshh sound when the pump finishes inflating.

thanks - I'm now starting to wonder if I didn't tighten the air spring connections up enough.  I was very wary of over-tightening them...

Thought the same with mine and undid all the connections on both wheels and the solenoid and put sealant on them. It made no difference. 

I removed the “new “ bag and inflated it with a tyre pump and put soapy water on it. There was an area of one inch in diameter with lots of little bubbles coming through. The rubber was actually perished so I did get my money back. 

How long are these in storage before we get them. 

Arnott make a genuine one. 

1 hour ago, GeeJayJoe said:

Actually when fitting a new bag, you don’t undo the brass fittings but just push the plastic pipe into the hole where the collette will grab it. 

I'd always recommend renewing the olive. 

OK, I took off one of the new air springs and tested it for leaks (thanks for the idea of connecting a bicycle pump :).  It inflated well and no leaks were visible.

I put it all back together and this morning it has deflated again. 

In putting it back together I heard the same loud pop - yes, this does seem to be the air spring inflating.

I'm now not sure where to go.  Can air seep out of the compressor?  Solenoid?  How tight should the connections on to the air spring be?  I admit, I did the one I tested up pretty tight, but the other side was just tight as I've had bad experiences with olives and plumbing!

If anyone has any advice as to where to go next it will be gratefully received.

I would still put my money on it being the bags at fault. 

I had a bag that deflated overnight by 2 inches and stay at there for days (without use). This was because the air only leaked when the hole was on the fold of the rubber. As the car lowered, the fold moved and closed the hole. 

The connections are still airtight even if loosely tightened. 

The air pressure in the system is actually quite low, far less than a tyre.