The Situation

Replacing front fogs

Anyone able to advise me if there is a much easier way to get to the front fogs to replace the bulb, other than having to loosen and remove the bumper slightly to gain access???

Edited by The Situation

Front Fog Lamps (M Sport)

63 17 060 Removing and installing/replacing left or right front fog lamp (M aerodynamic kit)

1Ly5z2h Necessary preliminary tasks:
O8zxUNS

Release screws (1).

Remove fog lamp wheel arch cover (2).

O10Uvul

Disconnect plug connection (1).

Release screws (2). Tightening torque 63 17 1AZ.

Feed fog lamp (3) in direction of arrow out of mounting (4) and remove.

1Jvu2xy

Replacement:

If necessary, remove bulb.

Adjust front fog lamps.

Thanks for this - however this will require me to jack car up etc and I just don’t have any access to things like that.

I don’t even use the fogs, the bulb error constantly pinging up on the OBC is peeing me off and just wanted to simply replace.

25 minutes ago, jake13 said:

Front Fog Lamps (M Sport)

63 17 060 Removing and installing/replacing left or right front fog lamp (M aerodynamic kit)

1Ly5z2h Necessary preliminary tasks:
O8zxUNS

Release screws (1).

Remove fog lamp wheel arch cover (2).

O10Uvul

Disconnect plug connection (1).

Release screws (2). Tightening torque 63 17 1AZ.

Feed fog lamp (3) in direction of arrow out of mounting (4) and remove.

1Jvu2xy

Replacement:

If necessary, remove bulb.

Adjust front fog lamps.

You get to them from underneath, you don't need to loosen the bumper. You might want to park on a kerb slightly to raise one side and then do the other to give you more clearance. 

Just now, GoNz0 said:

As much as it pains me to even suggest this, what about halfords fitting service?

I did wonder that myself, I couldn't quite bring myself to suggest it though.:D. Just stand over them at all times though.......

Or have you a mate or family member who has a jack or ramps? There might even be an obliging forum member near you who could help.

Thanks for all the advice people - my mate who I went to for everything had to close up and he off long term sick to boot so the Halfords idea seems good for me.

I may go and see what they say and see if they even know how to get to it first and before I end up telling them myself!

Just getting all this done as after 7 years of owning am having to get rid due to London’s ULEZ charge coming into force in 2021!

It's really not difficult if you have basic tools. Turning the wheels would probably be enough to give you access. It's just the flaps underneath the fogs, you don't need to remove the arch liners or anything. 

I managed to do mine by sliding out the main headlight unit and reaching down inside the bumper to the fog light, I was then able to swap out the bulb by touch.  A bit fiddly but a damn sight easier and quicker than jacking up and removing the wheel etc.

Edited by Modge

It must be the cold weather, the fog light in question is working now and has been for the last week.

Similar to a number plate bulb, came up as error one day last week.... never to return!

2 hours ago, The Situation said:

It must be the cold weather, the fog light in question is working now and has been for the last week.

Similar to a number plate bulb, came up as error one day last week.... never to return!

Nope that's just the E60's perfectly reliable 100% of the time electrical system.:D

20 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Nope that's just the E60's perfectly reliable 100% of the time electrical system.:D

True - did I forget to mention the sat nav don’t work anymore.

Fallen out of love with it, just causes me more aggro with all the electrical gremlins