Y15HAL

Advice on selling a car....

Good Evening All,

Was just after some advice on selling a mid-valued car (circa 15k).

I've sold low valued cars over the years, and not really had any issues.....

What would be the best way to sell a car privately? Advertise on Autotrader etc? I want to limit the number of tyre kickers/time wasters.....and also want to avoid people trying scams! 

How would i go about test drives etc? I've heard some horror stories where people are car jacked as they're trying to swap places from driver to passenger, and their car is stolen.....!

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

I would personally use eBay Classifieds, Pistonheads and Gumtree; these are the cheapest options, but give you great coverage. Autotrader is ok, but expensive and limited to its own catchment etc

Advertise well; include all necessaries and decent pictures too

Re test drives, it's one person and one person only. No groups of people and no multi-visits. If they want to see the car, they see it at your address or you agree to meet in a very public place. You drive unless they have FULL insurance coverage (very rare this as most insurance will only cover you to drive someone else's car covered on Third Party ONLY)! If they cannot prove they have fully comp insurance to drive another car, then you drive it or not at all.

I've always made this very clear on car ads when I've sold a car; happy to have the car to be stone-cold for when they come to see it, so they can hear the cold start up, but they won't be driving it unless fully comp insurance is shown and I've the full value, in cash, has been handed over!

The horror stories you hear do happen, but far & few between, IMO it's a lot of scaremongering, but still you need to keep vigil and maybe have a family member or pal with you, somewhere in the background, just for peace of mind etc

It's all common sense really :) 

Great advice, thanks for that :)

Puts my mind at ease a little!

Now to give her a good cleaning, and then decent pics, and then put the ad up.

12 minutes ago, pidgeonpost said:

I don't know if it's still valid advice, but it used to be recommended that somewhere in the sales receipt or invoice the words 'sold as seen' or 'sold as seen and agreed' were included. May be worth looking online about this? 

I have seen and done this on the car's i have sold and bought. I usually put tested and driven sold with no known faults or other than these faults.

Yeah I got offered 12k for mine last Saturday, was testing an F15 M50d they had in stock and always wanted one but manage to resist the temptation, with the miles i do would be ridiculously expensive to run. 

It's always best to put as much info as possible about any product you want to sell in the ad. If you sell on sites where people can ask questions this is a must. You need to answer all questions before they are asked. Failure to do this results in buyer having doubts or a series of repeated questions. Look at other ads and take note of all specs/details and be sure to cover them.

Keliuss

On 01/02/2019 at 11:19, Y15HAL said:

Thanks everyone :)

Had a couple of valuations from dealerships - they like to try and take advantage don't they? :blink:

Try Arnold Clark buy a car. Had zero haggling (based on clear condition guidelines) and valuation was better than any other service i checked out. 

I'd get it really well valeted, and put it through a proper car auction like BCA. That's what WBAC do. 

Have other folk around when you have a viewing. When five Roma gypsies turn up and they're swarming all over the car like flies around shit, that's when you get oil fired into the coolant and those sorts of tricks.

Dodgy bank notes, bank transfer problems and other aggro means I myself wouldn't even consider it. 

I'd p/x it, auction it our get a really good price from Arnolds or Evans Halshaw.

^ I'd agree with that.

But that's just me. I wasn't in a position to part ex my E60 for my F10 so it went to WBAC. What I got for the E60 meant I was still under my cost to change so I wasn't fussed, plus I got to keep my front door on it's hinges and the contents of my house and garage.....

1 hour ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

I'd get it really well valeted, and put it through a proper car auction like BCA. That's what WBAC do. 

Have other folk around when you have a viewing. When five Roma gypsies turn up and they're swarming all over the car like flies around shit, that's when you get oil fired into the coolant and those sorts of tricks.

Dodgy bank notes, bank transfer problems and other aggro means I myself wouldn't even consider it. 

I'd p/x it, auction it our get a really good price from Arnolds or Evans Halshaw.

Ive never had any of the above mentioned issues & ive sold a lot of cars... Like I said above, it’s scaremongering :roll: 

Edited by d_a_n1979

Because to me, your post stereotypes all private car sales, so someone who’s new’ish to the scene would probably get serious doubts about going at it themselves... Hence the scaremongering comment

Just to keep everyone informed....

WBAC - £12,405

Arnold Clark - £12,139

Evans Halshaw - £12,127

Do they tend to barter you down when they come round to take a look at the car?

Edited by Y15HAL

WBAC- yes I’d imagine they’ll chip you at least 10%! 

Just pull your big boy pants up and sell it like normal people. All the doubts your having about selling the car to “wrong-uns” true buyers have the same doubts about buying from “dodgy used car sales man” you know like Mike gobshite cheeky chappy hold your hand out Brewer.... 

:lol:

It’ll be fine ;) 

1 minute ago, Yokozuna said:

WBAC- yes I’d imagine they’ll chip you at least 10%! 

Just pull your big boy pants up and sell it like normal people. All the doubts your having about selling the car to “wrong-uns” true buyers have the same doubts about buying from “dodgy used car sales man” you know like Mike gobshite cheeky chappy hold your hand out Brewer.... 

:lol:

It’ll be fine ;) 

Yes, planning on doing that.....

Just need to give it a good clean and take some decent pictures of it :) 

10 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Because to me, your post stereotypes all private car sales, so someone who’s new’ish to the scene would probably get serious doubts about going at it themselves... Hence the scaremongering comment

This isn't Pistonheads though. Others are allowed to have an opinion, and a response without recourse to sarcasm.

41 minutes ago, Y15HAL said:

Just to keep everyone informed....

WBAC - £12,405

Arnold Clark - £12,139

Do they tend to barter you down when they come round to take a look at the car?

Depends really on what car it is - if it's another 520d then it needs to be on point to get top whack.

What would you hope to get with a private sale? Mid range auto trader prices are a good guide. WBAC are owned by BCA (British Car Auctions) and they aim to sell it on at a profit. That's why putting it through an auction yourself might net you a few extra quid. Their fees can be a bit eye watering though. 

I sold my last E61 to Evans Halshaw, they offered me £1100 more than WBAC and the transaction was very straightforward.

Having said that higher value cars tend not to attract the "I'll give you £2000 cash money now" type phone calls I seem to get plagued with when selling low-value cars and I would agree that selling private doesn't automatically result in your home being ransacked whilst you're away on a test drive!

35 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Depends really on what car it is - if it's another 520d then it needs to be on point to get top whack.

What would you hope to get with a private sale? Mid range auto trader prices are a good guide. WBAC are owned by BCA (British Car Auctions) and they aim to sell it on at a profit. That's why putting it through an auction yourself might net you a few extra quid. Their fees can be a bit eye watering though. 

its a 530d 2011.  Exterior in excellent condition, wheels need a refurb (which i was going to do this year, but have decided to sell instead)....

Was hoping to get £14k for it.