Steveo1

What did you try before you went for a G31

Hi All 

As the title says what other cars did you try (look at or test drove) before you decided on a G31.

Just out of interest really as when I have had a quick look around there aren't many petrol 6 pot estates out there. To be honest there is not that many petrol estates out there, looked at a 6GT but still not sure on the looks.

Cheers Steven

I also tried a new A6 Avant. Nice to drive but not as nice as the G31; discounts not as good (£4£ for similar specs about the same before discount) and the new Audi Touch Screen only MMI would have driven me mad! Oh and an RS4; very nice but not big enough for all the family's junk when we go on holiday :wacko:

Edited by Mr H

Golf R, M2, M3, M4, 340i. Considered a Focus RS, RS4 and had a laugh in an RS6. 

However, having had a C63s I knew how frustrated I was having 510 horses and not legally able to use it!

knew I was home when I got in the G31

Edited by ExAMG

Only other motor I drove was a Volvo S90 T8 which i decided against on the grounds the misses hated it and it was far too sedate to drive (even being 407 horses or whatever they claim it is).

I came from a 420d so already knew I was a BMW person. I would have tested a C350e or a E350e but they were unavailable to order at the time, and Audi don't do proper hybrids (excepting the etron a3 and q7)

Audi A6 (old shape as I was looking between March and May 2017) but discarded that quickly as I knew a new model would be round the corner so pointless going into that. I’d give the new one a miss anyway due to the new MMI

E Class which I asked for in AMG line with large command and digital dials for a test drive. Was given a SE with nothing of the above. Felt sloppy and boring, steering was artificial. Sales girl tried to flog me a E220 with the Spec I wanted from another dealership in group stock with no discount and no contribution at what would have been £320 a month more than my G30 in matching spec. Put me off so much I never enquired again. 

Jag XF. Just wasn’t me. Nice car but was a bit meh. Didn’t want the famous JLR reliability to live with anyway. 

S90 which was actually the best of all of the above but the residuals were scary. They plummet incredibly quickly but we’re not exactly significantly cheaper than a 5er if I recall correct.

nothing came close to the G30 to be honest. Partially due to brand loyalty and partially due to the fact that it is the best car in class (2 years running now?)

I'd pretty well decided to go back to a BMW, so I tried a 320d first. Great handling but rather cramped, noisy, and it felt like I was sitting on the floor. Looked at touring but TBH the 320 had put us off so didn't drive one. Tried a 520d G30 and liked it (well-kitted demonstrator) but looking at the boot space and awkward access put me off quite a bit as just not enough room for the sort of uses we have. Confab with the other half and we decided to settle on a touring model. Tried a F31 520d and pretty well decided to take it but had the opportunity of a 1 year-old G31 demonstrator with decent kit, only 2000 on the clock and more or less the same price from an enthusiastic rep so bought it on impulse. Yes - should have thought about it more because it doesn't have HUD which I fancied - but overall I'm pretty happy with it. 

Edited by Boba

Considered / test drove the following:

E220d SE Premium - as @sjak92 said it was all floppy and horrible on anything other than straight roads. At the time it only came with the 8.8” screen as standard too, that coupled with the standard dials looked like something was missing. 

VW Arteon R-line - one I look back at and think “what if?”. A fantastic looking car in my opinion and absolutely rammed with kit as standard, all under the magic £40k list price before you get stung by the ridiculous tax. I’d have had to get one blind though as I couldn’t have test driven at the time and that’s what put me off. It will be on the list in a couple of years when the 5 is due for replacement. 

Audi A5 Sportback Sport - lovely car, but terrible lease deals through LEX meant it was scrapped off the list almost straight away.

Volvo S90 Inscription - again a fantastic car, and in hindsight the one I wish I’d maybe gone for. Tonnes of standard kit, beautifully finished interior, and the best seats in the class by a country mile. But, due to LEX clearly being in bed with BMW the deal just wasn’t competitive enough in terms of pound notes, but perhaps I should have thought beyond that given the amount of kit - I miss ACC and adaptive lane assist so much from my old car. 

I love my 5, but I think there’s some questionable things about it - particularly the build quality. It’s been plagued with rattles, and the brakes squeal like a new born baby despite several days in the dealer to try and rectify. It will not be on the list again when I come to renew. 

Does it not concern any of you that the dealers are offering good or better discounts on new models and therefore have an abundance of stock available and that will have a knock on effect come resale/trade in time? 

I’ve never bought a car new and never will (thanks to my dad who used to work as one of them blokes that pushes new cars onto people :lol: ) so I don’t really get the discount thing? Shouldn’t the car be 10/20/30% cheaper to begin with if the dealer has that much room to knock off straight away?

or am I just simplifying it to much or just being a bit of a mong about it? 

New car sales are in turmoil at the moment. I have visited three non BMW showrooms with a view to buy my wife a new car. All three said they were well down on their sales figures compared with previous years. This is due to a number of things:

1.   Brexit and people frightened to spend money.

2.   The government's handling of the u turn on diesel engines.

3.   WLTP. This one I thik is criminal. Many brands have removed all the optional extras on their builds, only allowing new sales of the basic model. One of these is Seat. Take a look at the online configurator. Many engines been withdrawn and no optional extras being available. This is criminal really as these brands have known about it for some time but put it in the "too hard to do pile", sleepwalking to failure.

Edited by nashdm2

A 520d, followed by a 530d. :lol: The latter was purchased despite them not closing the bonnet properly, amusing on the test drive.

@Yokozuna mine was from a main dealer (who had bought it in from an accident management firm with 1200 miles at one year old) and were selling it at about 60% original price.

I could  literally sell it tomorrow via Arnold Clark for only £1300 less than I paid for it, almost six months later- so pricing is really all over the place.

If anything I see the lack of sales of new diesels will lead to a lack of decent second hand models which will ultimately firm prices up to an extent. With the car industry on its arse I think we'll see the government trying to repair some of the damage done by their approach with diesels etc - plus the extra road tax will expire after five years making them a little bit more attractive.

Edited by SuperDave

I came from a Volvo V70 2.5T Polestar'd 

I wanted petrol as I don't do the miles to justify a diesel 

The new Audi A6 was not released, nor were petrol versions of the old version apart from S6 and was not interested in a relatively old tech car. 

I liked the V90 T5 and T6 and originally was planning a Cross Country T6, but found the low A pillar an issue for me getting in and out of the car due to a previous neck injury.

Looked at an E class estate, but the styling and engine choice could not ignite the fire. The off-road version only available with a diesel and not available at the time..

New Jag XF estate was not out.

Test drove a 540i G30 and was blown away by just about everything, especially the 6, so a simple choice for a 540i X-Drive G31

No regrets, perfect blend of performance, comfort and space

13 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

will have a knock on effect come resale/trade in time?

To a large extent an irrelevant point. I would say more than 90% of new cars are purchased on finance, most of that being on a PCP therefore only trade in applies. 

As long as you don’t exceed miles you will never be at a loss due to Guranteed Future Value contractually even if the market implodes. At worst, you will have your excess miles to pay up and contracted rate even if car is realistically worth say £5k less. Or you voluntarily terminate and argue against any excess altogether.

13 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

Shouldn’t the car be 10/20/30% cheaper to begin with if the dealer has that much room to knock off straight away?

Yes and no. 

Yes - it’s a given that you will get some discount on a car so why bother. However how much depends on the research you have done and how much of a shrewd negotiator you are. One person will get X discount, the other will get Y. Discounts are tools to be utilised be buyers for their advantage of a Lower price/lower monthly payment. They’re also a tool to attract in. Many will fall for the lines of “with BMW contribution, I just spoke to my manager and if we get a deal signed today we can knock off another £2k” which in reality is nothing on something like a 5 series.

No - looking at the discount I got when buying mine of around 19% if I recall correctly.

Base 520d M sport was 38k at the time (more now) with discount that brings it down to £31k. If they advertised a premium BMW at that out of the box, it wouldn’t be that premium anymore. Everyone adopting this across the board is  impossible as they would loose too much money on the un savvy buyer.

Buying cars is great and what not, but you can be stung rather badly and dealerships will rinse you dry if they can. 

My neighbour bought a fully loaded M140i with all the M Performance trimmings. Cost just north of £50k!!! Was speaking to him about 6 months in and he was shocked that I got a discount on my car, he got 0% discount and no contribution from BMW Finance. He’s now paying an eye watering £700 a month and has another 41 months left of that. Turns out he’s £19k in negative equity and no dealership will take his car in on PX as no one wants such a high spec 1 series!

Finance can be a great thing if you want new cars every fixed period and can make the monthly figures work for you. Similar to having a mobile on pay as you go and owning the handset vs paying for it monthly on a 24 month contract but having that shiny new phone every other year. It works for many IF you know how to play the game and IF you make yourself aware of your rights and loopholes available to you.

simply put, Caveat Emptor.

sorry for long ass post :)

48 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

To a large extent an irrelevant point. I would say more than 90% of new cars are purchased on finance, most of that being on a PCP therefore only trade in applies. 

As long as you don’t exceed miles you will never be at a loss due to Guranteed Future Value contractually even if the market implodes. 

But that only works if you stay with the dealer does it not? Or at very least the brand? 

Or is it guaranteed no matter where you go as it’s with a finance company? 

1 hour ago, Yokozuna said:

But that only works if you stay with the dealer does it not? Or at very least the brand? 

Or is it guaranteed no matter where you go as it’s with a finance company? 

GFV means that when your PCP deal ends, you can give the car back and walk away without worrying about the actual real world value of it. You don't have to be buying a new car at all; just toss them the keys and go home. At that point, even if the car is only worth 20p in the real world, your GFV means that you owe them nothing.

Its basically protection against depreciation on your current car, and is not tied to any commitment to buy another car. It mans that PCP is akin to renting for most people, as they just pay their set monthlies and never plan to keep the car when the deal ends.

3 hours ago, sjak92 said:

As long as you don’t exceed miles you will never be at a loss due to Guranteed Future Value contractually even if the market implodes. At worst, you will have your excess miles to pay up and contracted rate even if car is realistically worth say £5k less. Or you voluntarily terminate and argue against any excess altogether.

Our experience with a PCP was that the GFV is anything but Guaranteed! Despite doing less than half the original agreed mileage there was still a short fall when it came to trading in against a new replacement. Never again! 

Edited by Mr H

31 minutes ago, Mr H said:

Our experience with a PCP was that the GFV is anything but Guaranteed! Despite doing less than half the original agreed mileage there was still a short fall when it came to trading in against a new replacement. Never again! 

interesting - there is PCP theory and PCP practice :lol:

what were they arguments they used? Was there some cosmetic damage to the car ? 

52 minutes ago, Mr H said:

Then you don’t trade in. You simply walk away and then take a completely new agreement rather than roll over from one onto the other.

the only exception is damage to vehicle but there is guides on each manufactures webpsite for what is within limits and what is not

24 minutes ago, Carrera77 said:

It sounds like they said he had some sort of negative equity -  he couldn't have just walked away without paying something in that case

You CANNOT have negative equity if your miles are under at the end of the term, you can have penalties for damages etc.

like I said, know your stuff and use it to YOUR advantage or a dealer will rinse you. 

Edited by sjak92

1 minute ago, sjak92 said:

You CANNOT have negative equity if your miles are under, you can have penalties for damages etc.

like I said, know your stuff or a dealer will rinse you. 

Mr H will clarify - I was just interested in what the dealer had to say 

Perhaps the market value of the vehicle was lower than the GFV and the dealer was looking for some wriggle room. Probably inadvertently violated some of the terms and conditions which you might overlook if everything was to plan

18 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

Does it not concern any of you that the dealers are offering good or better discounts on new models and therefore have an abundance of stock available and that will have a knock on effect come resale/trade in time? 

I’ve never bought a car new and never will (thanks to my dad who used to work as one of them blokes that pushes new cars onto people :lol: ) so I don’t really get the discount thing? Shouldn’t the car be 10/20/30% cheaper to begin with if the dealer has that much room to knock off straight away?

or am I just simplifying it to much or just being a bit of a mong about it? 

It would be more sensible for dealers to set their pricing a bit more clearly, but maybe people like to think that their new car is worth more than it actually is?

I'd never bought a new car before this one, there weren't any used G31s for sale when I ordered mine, and even if I look now I wouldn't be able to find one with the right option list. It's an expensive way of getting the right options, but about the only way sometimes.

27 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

You CANNOT have negative equity if your miles are under at the end of the term, you can have penalties for damages etc.

like I said, know your stuff and use it to YOUR advantage or a dealer will rinse you. 

Exactly. A true GFV is, as it says, Guaranteed provided you are below the mileage limit.

The only way they can do you over is if you don't know your rights and they try and give you a trade in value instead of you actually exercising your hand over rights. ( or you have damaged the car.)

On 31/01/2019 at 21:00, Mr H said:

I also tried a new A6 Avant. Nice to drive but not as nice as the G31; discounts not as good (£4£ for similar specs about the same before discount) and the new Audi Touch Screen only MMI would have driven me mad! Oh and an RS4; very nice but not big enough for all the family's junk when we go on holiday :wacko:

I am glad really I didn’t wait for new A6 as touchscreen only would have driven me mad too, I don’t touch my screen there is no need and touch screen means you need to oook at screen instead of road