Duff

HIDs and the MOT

Hey guys,

I recently picked up a 5000k HID kit to fit into my LCI halogen e60. My MOT is up at the end of February and I'm just wondering if I should wait until after to fit them? What are peoples experiences with HIDs fitted to projector halogens for the MOT? Straight up fail or luck of the draw?

Cheers.

Mine passed no problem, the tester did say after a certain date then it would of failed due to not having headlamp washers fitted, mine is a 2006

There's no date on it.  Legislation states all need suspension self-leveling or if they are deemed "stiff enough" and need washers if over a certain luminosity.

Headlamp type obviously matters too - it needs to be a lamp designed for HID bulbs.  Dates are not a thing.

Don't the new rules state that any aftermarket HID kit is deemed as an instant failure?

I'd get the rules read ASAP

"Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to
convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has
been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID
bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected. "

Edited by d_a_n1979

8 hours ago, Duff said:

Hey guys,

I recently picked up a 5000k HID kit to fit into my LCI halogen e60. My MOT is up at the end of February and I'm just wondering if I should wait until after to fit them? What are peoples experiences with HIDs fitted to projector halogens for the MOT? Straight up fail or luck of the draw?

Cheers.

As your location is "Leinster" in Ireland (republic), this question seems to be a non starter. Are you putting the car through the MOT in UK or NCT in Ireland?

Keliuss 

I'm living/working in Belfast now, Keliuss. I think I'll chance my arm with them fitted and see how I get on. Thanks, lads.

Edited by Duff

Well I'm up for NCT next week with my LEDs (and no dust covers). There is info available about HIDs but nothing on LEDs. 

I reckon it will be 50/50 as to whether or not they pass. That's 50, I get an idiot that doesn't even notice and 50, I get an ahole that fails them as they aren't halogens. 

Keliuss 

28 minutes ago, Duff said:

I'm living/working in Belfast now, Keliuss. I think I'll chance my arm with them fitted and see how I get on. Thanks, lads.

I wouldn't; get the MOT done and then fit them

Why risk it when the rules state they're an immediate fail?!

3 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I wouldn't; get the MOT done and then fit them

Why risk it when the rules state they're an immediate fail?!

Because I'm an impulsive idiot, haha. I suppose it's not much hassle to refit the halogens for the MOT anyway.

All depends on the tester, friend of mine has just had his 535d pass with no dpf, and a couple of my cars have passes with kits recently with no issues. 

As stated luck of the draw, but a friendly tester helps! 

Hi Duff.

Don't know if you are aware that the MOT test in Northern Ireland,  whilst being fairly stringent has one great bonus.  They only do the 'smoke' test visually.  There is currently no equipment to measure it in any center.  Stems from the old 'Elf and Safety' check some seven years ago which concluded that due to possible inhalation of diesel fumes by staff that proper extraction equipment must be installed.  Glad to report they are still waiting for it!

15 hours ago, oldjohnny said:

Hi Duff.

Don't know if you are aware that the MOT test in Northern Ireland,  whilst being fairly stringent has one great bonus.  They only do the 'smoke' test visually.  There is currently no equipment to measure it in any center.  Stems from the old 'Elf and Safety' check some seven years ago which concluded that due to possible inhalation of diesel fumes by staff that proper extraction equipment must be installed.  Glad to report they are still waiting for it!

Hey Johnny,

I was not aware of that at all! That's great news (of sorts). Thanks for letting me know.

I have 4300k (OEM colour) HID kit in my LCI halogen projector headlamp which looks factory fitted.

Technically it should fail the MOT as not factory fitted with self-levelling, the headlight washers (if fitted) must work, since I don't have them it's not applicable.

I've never failed an MOT for the past 6 year since fitting them.

LCIs have projector dipped beams, don't they? You might be fine as the stock xenons look similar to the LCI halogens. Now,  if you had a preLCI with reflector headlamps, then it would fail. I think the new rules are to clamp down mainly on people who chuck HID/LED bulbs in reflector housings.

As for the suspension/headlamp self-levelling: Where systems fitted, they must work. In other words, if they are not fitted, they don't get tested. However, make sure your manual headlamp levelling system works.

As for the cleaning system: The cleaning system is only inspected IF it is equipped on cars first registered on or after 1st Sept 2009.

I retrofitted bi-xenons to my e39 and it passed the MOT last month (Jan 2019) even though it has no headlight cleaning system (it wouldn't get tested if one was fitted due to the date) or self-levelling suspension/headlamps.

1 hour ago, leew88 said:

I have 4300k (OEM colour) HID kit in my LCI halogen projector headlamp which looks factory fitted.

Technically it should fail the MOT as not factory fitted with self-levelling, the headlight washers (if fitted) must work, since I don't have them it's not applicable.

I've never failed an MOT for the past 6 year since fitting them.

1 minute ago, DerekJr. said:

LCIs have projector dipped beams, don't they? You might be fine as the stock xenons look similar to the LCI halogens. Now,  if you had a preLCI with reflector headlamps, then it would fail. I think the new rules are to clamp down mainly on people who chuck HID/LED bulbs in reflector housings.

As for the suspension/headlamp self-levelling: Where systems fitted, they must work. In other words, if they are not fitted, they don't get tested. However, make sure your manual headlamp levelling system works.

As for the cleaning system: The cleaning system is only inspected IF it is equipped on cars first registered on or after 1st Sept 2009.

I retrofitted bi-xenons to my e39 and it passed the MOT last month (Jan 2019) even though it has no headlight cleaning system (it wouldn't get tested if one was fitted due to the date) or self-levelling suspension/headlamps.

Absolutely spot on both comments above - new latest MOT or whatever MOT - a well fitted, properly aligned aftermarket HID kit with 6000k (or lower Kelvin colour temprature) bulbs preferably fitted into projector lenses without self levelling and without headlight washers will NOT fail the MOT. 

Absolutely spot on both comments above - new latest MOT or whatever MOT - a well fitted, properly aligned aftermarket HID kit with 6000k (or lower Kelvin colour temprature) bulbs preferably fitted into projector lenses without self levelling and without headlight washers will NOT fail the MOT.     

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/consumer-news/94753/dangers-of-illegal-hid-headlight-conversion-kits-explained%3famp

That article doesn't go anywhere near mentioning how bad new cars with OE HID and LED lights are for dazzle these days. 
I have to say I love my new adaptive LEDs..... Road all lit up apart from a black box round cars ahead. Very smart.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Lennox said:

I have to say I love my new adaptive LEDs..... Road all lit up apart from a black box round cars ahead. Very smart.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Good for you pal.