Y15HAL

Swap out the F10....?

Good Afternoon All :)

With the ULEZ coming into play, i'm seriously thinking of changing the F10 (530d) and going for something else.....But not too sure what to go for :(

I've been thinking of either going for another F10 (petrol version) or going for something different  - maybe the 6 series gran coupe :blink:

Confusing with all the engine types though! I want something with some poke so the 520 is out of the question.......

Suggestions welcomed :D 

Thanks

Vishal

530i B) or 535i are the pick of the non m5 bunch IMO but rare enough that the spec you are likely to want is elusive.

Come to think of it decent spec m5 are hard enough to come by at a reasonable price..

5 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

530i B) or 535i are the pick of the non m5 bunch IMO but rare enough that the spec you are likely to want is elusive.

Come to think of it decent spec m5 are hard enough to come by at a reasonable price..

Seen some 540 and 550's too!  :twisted:

7 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Yup mine is exempt from the ULEZ and whatever similar nonsense that Glasgow City council are proposing near me.

Its only nonsense in Glasgow as there is little in the way of alternative transport being offered.

3 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yup mine is exempt from the ULEZ and whatever similar nonsense that Glasgow City council are proposing near me.

Its only nonsense in Glasgow as there is little in the way of alternative transport being offered.

It's nonsense in London too! :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Y15HAL said:

Seen some 540 and 550's too!  :twisted:

540 g30 is a good call, very nice engine anyway (b58)

Don't touch the 550i the s63tu in the m5 is much more reliable. The n63 was a disaster.

I'm off to look at a 340i touring tomorrow along with an m5 but I'm not keen on the colour.

2 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

540 g30 is a good call, very nice engine anyway (b58)

Don't touch the 550i the s63tu in the m5 is much more reliable. The n63 was a disaster.

I'm off to look at a 340i touring tomorrow along with an m5 but I'm not keen on the colour.

Thanks for the helpful info :) 

550's seem very rare anyway ;)

1 hour ago, bmwmike said:

Just following on from the N62 then which was disastrous, once it got a few miles and years on it.

Thoughts on the 6 series Gran Coupe?

I went to the dealership the other day, didn't have any Approved Used, but mentioned that the 6's are now end of line.......If i were to buy one, are they still likely to hold value for a few years, or are they likely to drop more in price as they are no longer made? :unsure:

Also.....

Looking at the newer shape 530i......only comes in 4 cylinders?

Would it be worth going for these?

Or stick with the F10 6 cylinder? :?:

6 hours ago, Y15HAL said:

Thoughts on the 6 series Gran Coupe?

I went to the dealership the other day, didn't have any Approved Used, but mentioned that the 6's are now end of line.......If i were to buy one, are they still likely to hold value for a few years, or are they likely to drop more in price as they are no longer made? :unsure:

They are no longer produced, will drop in value due to 8 series that replaced it. 

Some new unregistered stock remains with some dealers, apparently discount can be close to 40% on list on those

Turbos are no substitute for cubes. Wife has a Ford with 1.5 turbo 4 pot that puts out what a 2.9 V6 put out 30 years ago.

I know which I'd rather have, but that's just me who puts engine sound and refinement way up the list over emissions and mpg.

That said the four pot petrol engines that BMW offer are fantastic whizzy engines, rev very cleanly, smoothly and are very quiet. I wouldn't rule out one in the future if it had the right toys for me.

13 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Turbos are no substitute for cubes. Wife has a Ford with 1.5 turbo 4 pot that puts out what a 2.9 V6 put out 30 years ago.

I know which I'd rather have, but that's just me who puts engine ... refinement way up the list over emissions and mpg.

Thats possibly the first time I’ve heard of a 30-year-old Ford V6 and ‘refinement’ being associated. Dad had a Zephyr V6 back then and although it could shift I’d not call it terribly refined :lol:

mind you you I believe I had my old Zodiac in-line 6 at about the same time and it wasn’t particularly refined either although it did have a bit of grunt. It was amusing at the time to see the horizon tilt if you blipped the pedal.

Edited by Boba

2 hours ago, Y15HAL said:

Thanks for everyone's input so far :)

I'm slowly narrowing things down, making the search easier......

What are the general thoughts on the ActiveHybrid models?

Seen a nice 530 Petrol hybrid......

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/201812113161549

If it has a proper autobox in it then take it for a drive but I'm not convinced owning one at 5-10 years old will be without its pitfalls. Battery life/performance and difficulty working on things with the dual system....but that's me who likes to get in there with the spanners when it's older.

I had a Lexus 300h as a loner and it was crap with its combined drive system and a really low power for its size from its engine. If you wanted to use aircon in the summer, the engine comes on. If you wanted any electrical load, the engine comes on. Very little driving is done on the leccie motor solo, so you end up burning fuel lugging the motor and battery about.

35 minutes ago, Boba said:

Thats possibly the first time I’ve heard of a 30-year-old Ford V6 and ‘refinement’ being associated. 

Lol, I never said the Cologne V6 was refined, merely talking about power outputs. But any V6 will beat a 4 pot for sound, but realistically that V6 with its pushrods was never going to do much without bending something.  

That 535i is a big price for nearly a 4.5 year old car.  I paid that for mine at 3 years old albiet with a few more miles under its belt.

Or is that what petrols are worth now that it has been acknowledged that Diesels are bad I wonder?

Hope so, I fancy a chance but dunno what into yet. I keep thinking m5 but I find turbo a little boring and so my current fantasy is a e61 v10 with a DCT conversion. But I'd probably settle on an m5 f10. 

4 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Hope so, I fancy a chance but dunno what into yet. I keep thinking m5 but I find turbo a little boring and so my current fantasy is a e61 v10 with a DCT conversion. But I'd probably settle on an m5 f10. 

The interior may/will disappoint you since you own a F10.