MParallel

Battery Voltage display?

Owner of a E39 530i Touring since a little over a month. Last week got my Intravee II and 420i interface. Nice piece of kit.

I was wondering if the Intravee can display the onboard voltage? Not sure if this is possible over ibus. I know it's in the IKE cluster test, just as coolant temp, engine speeds, roadspeed, etc. Since the Intravee can display that data, was wondering if it could display uB (board voltage) as well. 

It's a nice way to check the alternator working. Problem is with using the hidden test function, this gets overridden as soon as the OBC needs to display a warning. And as far as I know the hidden test menu can't be called up again when the engine is running. 

So far the mirror folding, one-touch blinkers and PDC display have been great. Well and my old ipod, which gives a low battery warning after 5 minutes of use, so it has been collecting dust for ages. Glad I didn't throw it away just yet.

p.s. sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it if so.

Edited by MParallel

Ok my bad. Seems that asking the question is knowing the answer.

Didn't realize it was in the Nav menu, even though I read the Intrevee Extra features doc, but forgot about it.

Then the remaining question is, that it would be nice if battery voltage could be selected in the High OBC text menu. 

Obtaining the battery voltage is possible, but it's not 'nice'.  It requires polling a device for it, sometimes the device responds and sometimes it doesn't so you then have to retry.  The reported voltage is also not particularly representative of the system voltage, I suspect it's the reported voltage after the components power regulation circuitry, so it's not particularly useful. 

Unfortunately the data that's displayed by the cluster does not seem to be available over the iBus, there are other things that the cluster knows that would be nice to be able to display (fuel level on either side of the tank, oil temperature etc.).

I see. I do notice the voltage with engine on/off is 12v/14v, so at least it’s a good indicator for a working alternator.

What is interesting, is that without any gps info available, no battery voltage is neither available. 

So that confirms it doesn’t read directly from the battery.